Reading Circle Idea?

Cassandra022

So it occurs to me that, TdM has it's own monthly Reading Circle...why not one for the Thoth?

Thoth and Thoth based decks like the Liber T, Via, Magickal, Rosetta, etc.

I personally would really like to have this kind of structured opportunity to practice with my Thoth with others interested/enthusiastic about this part of the tarot tradition. Seems like a great learning opportunity to, to have that kind of perspective of how others read with these same decks?

I guess what I am asking is if there is enough interest to try to get a reading circle like this going?

Zephyros

I'm game, there are some really brilliant people here I would love to have readings from! Only, I have never participated in a reading circle, what would it entail?

Cassandra022

Well modelling it after the others, basically we could set up a PM list of interested people who'd get notified every month when the thread is opened (though of course anyone could join). Probably a good idea to settle on and clarify exact list of decks that are suitable for the exchange.

Then every month we open a thread, perhaps have a suggested spread that participants are encouraged to try out in the month's exchange...I'm actually not familiar with whether there are any Thoth specific spreads, though if there were that would be interesting to try those. We could also possibly take a page from ISG exchange's book and maybe have monthly theme, like trying to encourage participants to focus on the color of the cards they draw first, or astrology, or whatever? People interested in participating in that months exchange would sign up. Sign ups usually the first week or week and a half of the month. Then people are randomly paired off, and they exchange readings and feedback with thier partners. Rinse and repeat.

I am obviously HARDLY the expert on Thoth, ha, but if it would help get things off the ground, I would be willing to organize and host or co-host the Circle, unless someone else wanted to :]

WolfyJames

I'm in! It's been a while since I used my Liber T. But I've been using the Tarot of Vampyres like the Liber T so I have not lost touch with Thoth stuff. Actually during my intensive study of the Vampyres I ended up studying Qabalah so I know more now than before.

rachelcat

I'll join in with my trimmed Thoth, or maybe the Rosetta (if it's done disliking me!), but I can't commit for every month . . . (Even the kitties are too much for me for every month . . .)

Cassandra022

of course no one would have to participate each month, that would be much indeed :]

anyone else interested?

AJ

I think LoS Tarot of the Gnomes is thoth based if anyone is afraid of the big peoples decks :)

Cassandra022

Well now, thinking about what decks would qualify...

Thoth
Liber T
Haindl
Rosetta
Via
Magickal
Sephiroth (I think??)

Navigators of the Mystic SEA

Those seem like the ones that definitely would, but then there are a bunch of decks like sun and moon, vision quest, vampyres, gnomes etc which are 'thoth-influenced' but some at least also have strong rws feel to them so...don't know how people would feel about including them too, or which ones...how much of a thoth 'influence' is enough?

any others that are 'definitely' thoth based?

Thinking of maybe making a trial run circle thread after running it by the mods for clarification on rules/requirements etc., in the reading circle forum, and seeing how that goes/whether there is enough interest to make it a monthly thing...?

frac_ture

I might be interested, but fair warning: I'm very inexperienced with the Thoth deck. I own it, and now the friendlier Rosetta, too, though, so I'd enjoy trying to participate.

Cassandra022, I think your question about which decks are "Thoth enough" is a great one! I have two that might qualify, but might not: the I Am One Tarot and the Navigators Tarot of the Mystic SEA. They're both undeniably marked by heavy Thoth influence, but they also each strike off into some territories of their own, and are definitely not adhering strictly to the Thoth blueprint, so I don't know if they'd be seen as venturing too far afield in terms of lending themselves to an exercise like this...? I mean, I can stick to the Rosetta or the Thoth itself, but it's always nice to know what the options really are.

Cassandra022

I might be interested, but fair warning: I'm very inexperienced with the Thoth deck. I own it, and now the friendlier Rosetta, too, though, so I'd enjoy trying to participate.

Cassandra022, I think your question about which decks are "Thoth enough" is a great one! I have two that might qualify, but might not: the I Am One Tarot and the Navigators Tarot of the Mystic SEA. They're both undeniably marked by heavy Thoth influence, but they also each strike off into some territories of their own, and are definitely not adhering strictly to the Thoth blueprint, so I don't know if they'd be seen as venturing too far afield in terms of lending themselves to an exercise like this...? I mean, I can stick to the Rosetta or the Thoth itself, but it's always nice to know what the options really are.

reading circles are all about learning, at all experience levels :]

thanks for suggesting those! i knew i had one in mind that i was forgetting in particular and you named it - Navigators! It seems close enough to qualify, if the others on the list do. Not familiar with the I am one, looks a bit more in line with the other maybes in terms of being more 'out there' based on the aeclectic page...

If anyone else wants to chime in on what decks should or shouldn't be acceptable for something like this...i am hardly an expert, as I said! Just enthusiastic and hoping to organize something fun to participate in :]