Flowers carried by the scorpion on the death card

Babylon_Jasmine

Does anyone know what kind of flowers these are? Crowley does not mention them in the book, However they look similar to the mystic rose on the Rider Waite card to me.

Zephyros

One of them looks similar to the lillies used in the cups suit. There, most are fountains but here it is overturned, perhaps because there is no more to flow, Death and all that.

The other one, I'm a blank. To what rose in the RWS are you referring to?

Ross G Caldwell

There's a poppy pod on the right. Opium, morphine, sleep, sleeeeeeeeeep...

Aeon418

Snuffin thinks it's a lily and a lotus. But I think Ross is correct. The thing to the right of the scorpion looks like a poppy bud to me. That makes me think of opiates, sleep, and death.

Interestingly if you turn the card on it's right hand side you can make out the final letter of the Greek alphabet, Omega (Ω), on the bud. The lily suggests the first letter, Alpha (A). The beginning and the end.

Ross G Caldwell

thothxiiiflowers.jpg

Just checking to see if this image shows up.

Edit: nope. Just the link.

The flowers are clearly joined by a continuous stem. I agree with Aeon's impression - whether there is an intentional Ω (omega) or not on the poppy, the meaning is something like Eros-Thanatos, Love-Death, or Life-Death joined.

The crowned one

Morning glory is what it looks like to the left, but I am sure it is a lily. The one on the right looks like a cross between a rose hip and a poppy pod. Both are seed holders. I too agree with Ross: poppy pod.

poppy pod

rose hip

Babylon_Jasmine

One of them looks similar to the lillies used in the cups suit. There, most are fountains but here it is overturned, perhaps because there is no more to flow, Death and all that.

The other one, I'm a blank. To what rose in the RWS are you referring to?

The mystic rose that death has on his flag.

I think lily and poppy is probably the case.

louiseb

the flower you mention is much like the yorkshire rose, the 5 inner points are meeting with the 5 outer points, i was remember asking about this rose years ago i was told the 5 points resemble (if i remember correctly) 5 important aspects of the tarot. the centre was a symbol of life and death ( like a thistle when it dies the pods escape and regrow). Hope this helps a little and draws some light on your querie.

just found this bit of information if it helps
Rose – White – The white rose is the rose of transformation, and is usually a five-petaled rose. Its most prominent use is on the black flag carried by death, as a symbol of what awaits once you pass through darkness and the dissolution of self.

Laura Borealis

It does look like a morning glory*. Morning glory seeds are hallucinogenic. Morning glory + poppy seed pod = one wild trip !!

*Or datura. Another hallucinogenic plant.