the occult scene after Crowley...

Aeon418

Even if you do, you'll never be 100% sure if it's your HGA, or you're just going crazy.
If you're not 100% sure you can at least be sure of one thing - it's not K&C. ;)

Aeon418

Initiation in the Aeon of the Child: The Inward Journey by J Daniel Gunther, Ibis Press (2009).
A good book for sure. But how suitable is it for someone who describes themselves as "quite a newbie on the matter"?

Grigori

I think Austin Osman Spare could qualify as an innovator who came after Crowley, though not that far after. A member of the A.A. at one point and then part of the development of Chaos Magick.

Aeon418

Probably the most influential and widely known post-Crowley author is Kenneth Grant. Personally his stuff isn't my cup of tea, but many people claim his writings are highly inspiring. God knows why though! Grants writing is like A.E. Waite on acid. :bugeyed: And his mistake ridden gematria soup has to be seen to be believed. Just trying to work your way through it is liable to induce an altered state of consciousness.... or maybe even a coma. :laugh:

Here's a somewhat critical/funny review of each of Grant's books.
http://www.arcane-archive.org/religion/thelema/typhonian-tomes-1.php

fyreflye

A good book for sure. But how suitable is it for someone who describes themselves as "quite a newbie on the matter"?

Could you suggest a better one for the newbie? I've yet to run across a copy of Thelema for Dummies. ;)

Aeon418

Could you suggest a better one for the newbie? I've yet to run across a copy of Thelema for Dummies. ;)
Even though they are a bit lacking in some areas I would be more inclined to direct a complete newbie towards the introductory books written by Rodney Orpheus or Gerald del Campo.

Gunther's book is a different kettle of fish in my opinion. It's not a general introduction to Thelema. It's a highly specific work focusing on the path of initiation within a Thelemic framework. Not everyone who gets interested in Thelema goes down the initiatory road. Some people go no further than accepting the Book of the Law and trying to live their lives according to their understanding of the text. There's nothing that says they have to start doing a graded course in Yoga, Ceremonial Magick, or anything like that.

Of course many people do want to dive in at the deep end, and Gunther's book is a great resource for the individuals drawn in that direction. But presenting Gunther's book as a general intro could be a bit misleading for some people because taken on it's own it appears to suggest that the path of initiation is a necessary requirement for anyone who wants to get involved in Thelema, and I don't think this is the case at all.

Crowley says something to this effect in the very first chapter of Liber Aleph.
It is not every Man who is called to the sublime Task of the A∴A∴, wherein he must master thoroughly every Detail of the Great Work, so that he may in due Season accomplish it not only for himself, but for all who are bound unto him. There are very many for whom in their present Incarnations this Great Work may be impossible; since their appointed Work may be in Satisfaction of some Magical Debt, or in Adjustment of some Balance, or in Fulfilment of some Defect. As is written: Suum Cuique.

l'appeso

thanks a lot, this thread has been really informative. I'm learning a lot these days!