Using The Hexagram Card.

maciader

Does anyone use the hexagram card when they do a reading? i have it in and i havent had it come up in a reading. what does it mean, or should it even be in there?

thinbuddha

I choose not to use it. Some do use it.

I used it for a while, but was at a loss how to read it if it came up, so I decided to remove it. I don't think that Crowley intended for it to be used as a card- Frieda Harris certainly did not paint it. It is an extra that was added by US Games as sort of a bonus card.

In my mind, it should not be used unless it is to replace a lost card.

-tb

brenmck

maciader said:
Does anyone use the hexagram card when they do a reading? i have it in and i havent had it come up in a reading. what does it mean, or should it even be in there?

Yes, it should be there, but the first Thoth deck I bought, the small version, did not have it. The "large greens" do. The only thing I've ever seen about it is that, paraphrasing, it adds extra emphasis/importance to the reading. (And that doesn't sound very Crowley-esque!) I drew it once for a reading here in our old Thoth Newbie thread.

Like you I will be watching to see what our colleagues know about it.
Thanks for posing the question.

~B~

Aeon418

The hexagram card is a modern addition that was added by the printers to use up a spare piece of card stock during the printing process. As such it is not an actual part of the deck. The deck's creators never intended it to be there. In fact there is nothing in the symbolism of the Unicursal Hexagram that isn't already in the deck! It is superfluous.

maciader

hmmm... interesting points. so does anyone maybe have a meaning for it?

Aeon418

maciader said:
hmmm... interesting points. so does anyone maybe have a meaning for it?
Try mixing together XIX The Sun, XVIII The Moon / II Priestess, XX The Aeon, and the 4 Aces. That should just about do it. :laugh:

brenmck

Aeon418 said:
The hexagram card is a modern addition that was added by the printers to use up a spare piece of card stock during the printing process. As such it is not an actual part of the deck. The deck's creators never intended it to be there. In fact there is nothing in the symbolism of the Unicursal Hexagram that isn't already in the deck! It is superfluous.

Wow, did I ever screw up my Thoth partner! But we were Newbies, so the reading probably worked anyway.

:cool4:

Aeon418

brenmck said:
Wow, did I ever screw up my Thoth partner! But we were Newbies, so the reading probably worked anyway.
Don't worry about it, brenmck. I have no problem with people using the hexagram card. All I am saying is that it is not a real part of the deck in the same way that the Pamela Colman Smith bio card is not a real part of the RWS deck. ;)

I'm sure someone out there uses that card though. :laugh:

thinbuddha

Lots of long time readers use the hex card. I look at it more as a preference than anything else.

brenmck

Aeon418 said:
Don't worry about it, brenmck. I have no problem with people using the hexagram card. All I am saying is that it is not a real part of the deck in the same way that the Pamela Colman Smith bio card is not a real part of the RWS deck. ;)

Not worried at all. In fact, whenever I draw the P.C. Smith bio card I just know that I'm in for a creative but possibly flaky day.

:laugh: