" What If.. " Questions in tarot cards

Nikita_

That's an interesting question, Nikita.

There are actually visualization techniques designed to alter what's in the past. They don't literally result in changing the here and now but they can modify the effects past events have on the present.

It never occured to me to ask the Tarot the kind of questions you mention. But it's an interesting thought. Although I try not to regret anything ("if I only had..."). It's all there for the learning. If I mess up, I try to understand what went wrong and how to do better next time around. At least that's the theory...

Are you serious ? I must find out about these visualization techniques you mentioned...
And yes, as a learning process, I think it can be useful...

Nikita_

Theoretically it could work, I suppose. You'd never have any evidence at all that it does. In the end, I'd only assume like donnalee suggested that it would be highly detrimental to you if you put stock in it.

Yes, all true....but still...it could be interesting...and it might even help you put your heart at rest...

Nikita_

Maybe it's like we are all given a set, pre-established ingredients; the food we prepare (choices) and HOW we do it is up to us but NOT what we are offered. Accidents along the way are also not up for negotiation, they just happen (oven runs out of gas, milk curdled, etc).
Everybody knows of people that, with very little, accomplished a lot and managed to get by happily and successfully while others, with a lot, didn't.
It's the skill of the cook that creates (or not) a good meal after all. Knowing how to dodge problems as well.

I do like this way of explaining it, ana...I think it makes a lot of sense...simple and complex at the same time....

Nikita_

Agreed. I'm very comfortable with my life... I like being me as I am now. But sometimes, don't you wonder? Not because you wish it was different but out of curiosity?

To the main question: as I mentioned in the thread about Tarot and the future, I don't know how Tarot works. But I have two theories about it.

The first one: Tarot shows mostly possibilities. You don't like the outcome? Do something about it! You like the outcome? Do something for it or it might never happen! From this point of view: the past is not possible anymore so the answer is no.

The second one: we subconsciously know which cards we draw and Tarot tells us about events we already expect, subconsciously. (This is about the connection-of-everything-stuff I like so much). Then the answer is no as well, because we have no clues about events which didn't happen.

Then there is the third possibility: Doing a reading means to connect to a spirit/ghost/demon or something of the sort. Then the answer is: it depends. It depends on the power of the spirit you ate in contact with. And about this, I can't say any more.

I love these theories, Farzon...especially number 2 and 3...I'll get back to you on those...

ravenest

would it make sense to ask tarot questions such as " What would have happened if I had done this rather than that, behaved differently, not done anything at all, made a different choice,...?"
I'm asking because I've always avoided that type of question, always a firm believer of the principle that states that " history is not made with ifs and buts", but if we really believe that we change things and modify the course of events if we go along through our choices,, then why not ?
Do you ever ask that of tarot ?

I do, but not after an event. I have in the past done a reading; if a particular course of action is undertaken, what could be the outcomes, then done another reading ; okay, what if I do this instead, what could be the outcomes.

I guess its an extension of the 'yes / no' question (not; should I or shouldn't I, but what can happen if I do this ... or the other.

I wouldnt do that with past issues as ... You cant change the past, you never know how the future will actually play out, so be in the present - that is all we have.

(But as Michael pointed out ... one can change the EFFECTS the past carries forward to the present and future )

re-pete-a

What if's
Could have's
Should have's .
Ought to have.
Might have's....are all fairy tales...

The trick is to accept what is...and the you in the what is...

The questions of altering past things lends to being "un accepting of the present self and the situation that has transpired"...

A better idea is to accept fully the personal part that was played ... and accept the outcomes as they are...

Personal atonement's can happen in this now that will change a perspective and attachments ...

Trying to regain a control that is rooted in the past is fraught with control attachments... better to treat that...

The quicker one can accept that there is very little that is under personal controls the faster one can learn to accept what is...

This you may find is the root of many problems... It got out/is out of their/your control...

To try to regain this control is very dangerous.

The only thing that is under the personal controls is the ability to choose what to make, do,or interpret the situation in hand...based on the present understandings at hand...The rest is the consequences of that choice...

To alter that choice decision is based on better or limited understandings in the now... Changing the present perspective ... not trying to alter what can't be altered...Which ,in my opinion is the root cause of most global/ personal problems .

The inability to change that perspective is not a good thing to promote...

In my opinion...

Enter the Tarot reader, to gain a different perspective....

Past , present, future...

Most are hoping to learn from that different perspective...

But... "What if the Reader is stuck as well"

Another fairy tale story begins ...

SunChariot

I recently opened a thread in talking tarot about whether tarot can really predict the future, which a lot of people contributed to-many more than I expected !
This obviously brought up some huge questions such as, what is the future ? Is it already set in some ways ? Is everything still open ?
Many people seem to think that we can modify the course of events through our choices, actions ( or non-action) and behaviour...in the light of that-(and I'm starting from the assumption that that is true, even though I'm not sure about that...) would it make sense to ask tarot questions such as " What would have happened if I had done this rather than that, behaved differently, not done anything at all, made a different choice,...?"
I'm asking because I've always avoided that type of question, always a firm believer of the principle that states that " history is not made with ifs and buts", but if we really believe that we change things and modify the course of events if we go along through our choices,, then why not ?
Do you ever ask that of tarot ?

My belief about the future is that most times we can change the future. The vast majority of the time. But at the same time there ARE some things that are fated /destined to happen and those cannot be changed.

I believe that for the most part we have free will with what we choose to do with our future, and we can changed them. But if what we try to change it too is truly not in our best interest. for some reason we cannot see from where we stand now, then we are protected from ourselves and that path will close. And that there are people we are destined to meet, and if we are we will be at the right place to meet them, at the right time, not matter what.

But for the most part we get to choose and can change things.

But to answer your question. Yes, you can ask what would have happened if you had chosen a different path. That is, in essence, a reading about the past. Readings about the past work as well. I have never asked that question, personally, as I would be afraid it might lead to regrets. I might find I am sorry I did not take that path. And for me I might now want to know that. That is just me personally, although I am sure you can learn a lot that way and maybe make better choices in the future from what you learn.

I do do readings on the past. I personally like to go back and look at the areas where I felt hurt and try to heal that. Like asking WHY the person acted as they did. I have found that healing. Or asking what I did not know or understand about that period in my life what would make me feel better to know it now....that kind of thing.

Babs

dancing_moon

Maybe they're not helpful...but sometimes it can be consoling to know that, even if we'd done things differently, we couldn't have avoided things falling apart...

But what if the reading shows we could have?

Personally, I'm always sure that if something's fallen apart, then it wasn't my thing, and better things are coming into my life to replace it. :)

gregory

But what if the reading shows we could have?

Personally, I'm always sure that if something's fallen apart, then it wasn't my thing, and better things are coming into my life to replace it. :)
I don't think a reading could show that AS SUCH, myself. Because if you had at the time taken ONE SINGLE STEP towards that alternative outcome - things would all have shifted again, and a whole new ball game begins...

Zephyros

I actually think this is a very useful type of question, and do it sometimes. Learning to observe and analyze the past can be just as important as contemplating the present and future. These readings have helped me see things in a different light, to see my own mistakes and to modify my behavior. They can even be more revealing than readings about the future, because it is there that you see your actual mistakes, gain perspective on your real behavior rather than a theoretical future outcome, but you have to be ready for it.

I think there is a difference between agonizing with regret over past choices, and calmly analyzing and learning from the past.