Tarot of Prague Cafe Club - Knight of Swords

TheLovers2

Helvetica said:
TL2, you have to know that, with the exception of my brother-in-law, I always try and find some good in everyone. At the very least, this Knight is sexy and would treat you to a good dinner and stimulating conversation. Come to think of it, my bro-in-law does have some good traits.

And Wallenstein? No-one ever forgot him. He created and destroyed in equal measure, from what I read.

Helvetica:

Point well taken. :D Actually, so do I (in the beginning) but, I do have my limits and with a Knight like this one or anyone who is predominantly out for themselves, coldhearted, etc., one must be careful. What's that story about the scorpion that wanted to cross a river or something and asked the frog to carry him on his back. The frog refused saying, "You'll sting me, if I do that." But, the scorpion assured him he would not. Well, the frog relented and allowed the scorpion to climb upon his back. As they crossed the river, and just before reaching the shore, the scorpion stung the frog. The frog, surprised, said, "I thought you said you wouldn't sting me." The scorpion replied, "You knew I was a scorpion when I told you that. I could not help it, it is in my nature." Well, I may have certain elements of the story wrong, but, you get the gist. One must be careful. Scorpions can and do sting. So does this Knight.

I did take a look at some of my other Knights (in other decks) and I don't get quite the same impression. I get a kind of "hero charging to save the day" from a few. But, I don't get that from this card. I guess it depends on the deck. :)

TL2 :TLOVE

Sophie

TheLovers2 said:
I did take a look at some of my other Knights (in other decks) and I don't get quite the same impression. I get a kind of "hero charging to save the day" from a few. But, I don't get that from this card. I guess it depends on the deck. :)
Absolutely, that's exactly what I thought, that's part of the reason why this card throws me (off his horse?) so much. I thought I had the Knight of Swords sussed (as much as one can ever suss a tarot card, which is not much). I liked to see him in the justiciers, the Pilgers and Robin Hoods (Pilger as hero, not as person - I've no idea what he's like in his private life!). Wallenstein is not that at all. He is - as a court card - probaby more complex, more human, than the average Knight, probalby because he is a larger-than-life historic person, not a conventional figure. He dominates. He brings the suit of Swords to its peak and reverses it. With his outsized horse he seems to leap out of the card -- daring, sardonic, show-off (you caught that well, 2lovers) - this is the first Knight card where the horse seems to take on and amplify the character on his back.

If one looks at the other court cards in the suit, only the Queen stands out as much as the Knight - with that curious folded posture, and tilted head, holding sword and book in her fragile hands (based on St Catherine of Alexandria, in an early medieval illuminated manuscript, the book tells us). St Catherine was wise and noble, and probably the only type of woman to see quickly enough through the Knight and call his bluff - her canny intelligence and wisdom is reflected in her luminous presence (the gold hair helps ;) )