Around the Tarot in 78 Days

Alpha-Omega

This book is not released in the US (at least according to Amazon) until May 8 :(
I'm looking forward to it.

Amazon started shipping the book out weeks ago.

garmonbozia

Amazon started shipping the book out weeks ago.

I must be further down the queue then. I placed my preorder on April 10 and mine has not yet shipped, but I did get an email saying it was going to ship soon. Their page still lists May 8 as the release date.

shadowdancer

Well, I am using this in conjunction with writing up study stuff for the Steampunk. They arrived at the same time so I am using them both at the same time.

So far I am only 18 days through. Many cards are just card studies so far, but every now and then a little extra is thrown in. This works well, as the book is nicely paced. You are not asked to do intense or comprehensive work all in one go.

Even though I am only a short way through, I have picked up a couple of techniques I am excited to incorporate.

1) The noun/verb/adverb use which has been started in tarot games and fun. I am keeping a spreadsheet going to catalogue the sentences. As there are 14,080 combinations I am not under silly illusion it will be complete, but it is a valuable exercise. (And that figure does not involve any of the 3 cards being reversed. Heck that figure would be mind boggling).

2) Using flanking cards either side of a major to answer the "how" or "where" linked to that card. So if someone asks "Where do I find hope" I would just flick through the deck and lay out the three cards with the Star in the centre, and read the two flanking cards. I may add something of my own to enhance it further. It may also be that the left hand card (Past?) indicates what has been tried in the past or was considered but not implemented. The right hand card is the fresh approach to consider.

I am sure many use such micro techniques within a reading but I haven't until the past 2 years or so. These two techniques are going to be added for sure. I have already used 1) in the readings exchange as a finisher, and I think it would be a good finisher for any reading.

So is the book of value? No in as much as the daily writings on the card haven't taught me a lot new with regards how I see that card. However, for those new to tarot it would be fantastic. Amazing how much he has put on just 2 or 3 pages that will very very comprhensive, but not intimidating for those starting out.
For those like me, there are some wonderful lightbulb moments, which then get you itching to try them in your next round of readings.

silverwings94

New update. Mailing out on April 30th and it should arrive around May 3-7. Whoo Hooo. only another week and its here. I can't wait,

ann823

Is this book only for the RWS or would it be helpful with the Thoth?

gregory

Is this book only for the RWS or would it be helpful with the Thoth?

Just a sec..... *scrabble scrabble reads fast*

OK - I think it would be hard to use with the Thoth, to be honest. There is a suggestion that at least one spread can be used with the Tarot of Ceremonial Magick, but still. The "words" are all very attached to the RWS. I just tried reading the text and looking at the Thoth - and - not for me, anyway. Which is odd, as they say they have used the BoT as one of their sources.

Anyone else ? I may VERY WELL be off the wall here.

Elendil

Anyone else ? I may VERY WELL be off the wall here.

No gregory - you are right :)))

Most of the book refers to the RWS deck (which the authors of the book called the WST). The illustrations for each of the cards are from the Universal Tarot (not the RWS) though. I am pretty sure that I read somewhere in the introduction that the book is best used alongside a RWS deck or one that is closely 'cloned'. (There are illustrations from Legacy of the Divine and from Shadowscapes included). I don't think it would work well with a Thoth deck (or clone) - nor particularly well with a deck of non-scenic pips or a Marseilles deck.

starlightexp

Using flanking cards either side of a major to answer the "how" or "where" linked to that card. So if someone asks "Where do I find hope" I would just flick through the deck and lay out the three cards with the Star in the centre, and read the two flanking cards. I may add something of my own to enhance it further. It may also be that the left hand card (Past?) indicates what has been tried in the past or was considered but not implemented. The right hand card is the fresh approach to consider.

Sounds strangely like the way that people have been melding the Lenormand and tarot for the past year or so.I really hope he's not taking credit for that one

garmonbozia

I must be further down the queue then. I placed my preorder on April 10 and mine has not yet shipped, but I did get an email saying it was going to ship soon. Their page still lists May 8 as the release date.

Mine just shipped from Amazon!

ann823

Thanks for looking, I'm tempted but I really wanted to work with the Rosetta.