I am new! Is my deck valuable?

SeraAzzo

Hello everyone,
I am brand spanking new to this forum. I am very much a beginner when it comes to tarot cards but I have a great friend who uses them often. I was thinking of getting her a great looking deck for her birthday and it made me wonder about my own deck which I had been given from my mother.

Once I started looking into the deck, I realized it seems to be fairly sort after. So could anyone tell me what kind of deck I have and if it is particularly valuable? I am not looking to sell it but I thought my mum would get a kick out of finding out some information about her old deck.

Thank you in advance :)

Here is a link to the album:
http://imgur.com/a/z9eGk

SeraAzzo

I'll just add that the box is not in great condition but it is the complete deck and the cards are all in excellent condition (I don't think they were ever really used).

thorhammer

I don't know about your deck, but your table is to die for! Retrotastic!

thefoolsjourney1

Yes valuable!

That deck looks pretty valuable to me. It has one main key selling point to it: it lacks the copyright by US games on the borders. That's one of the main things collectors look for in vintage rider Waite decks to my understanding

rwcarter

Welcome to Aeclectic, SeraAzzo!

You might the following threads useful concerning the deck you have:

Blue Box Rider Waite RWS
RWS Deck Post-1970 Publishing History

You won't be able to retire or fund your kids' college education or even buy a new computer with what the deck is worth. That version is out of print (OOP) and somewhat hard to find (HTF) but used to pop up regularly on eBay even 2-3 years ago (last time I regularly trawled eBay). My recollection is that most of the decks sold in the $30-$50 range depending on condition. The mini Traveller's version sold for more because there seems to be fewer of them around/available.

Rodney

Teheuti

It tends to be the clearest, sharpest printing of the standard RWS, on excellent card stock and therefore quite desireable. On a good day it might sell for a little more than Rodney quoted, if you described it well. The only problem is that you might not want to use it much in order to keep the value. I mostly pull out my Blue Box copy when I want to compare details on the pictures - and occasionally for a special reading for myself.

Aunty Anthea

Who was using RW as a basis for his experiments in aging cards?

That deck looks pretty valuable to me. It has one main key selling point to it: it lacks the copyright by US games on the borders. That's one of the main things collectors look for in vintage rider Waite decks to my understanding

If it lacks the copyright then it could be copied :)

Someone on this site was playing at giving RW an antique appearance, which actually looked extremely good in my opinion. But stated that he could not sell them because his work was based on a copyrighted addition of RW.

If he used this copy as a basis for his work he could do so with impunity :)

Does anyone remember who it is ? ? ?

Richard

If it lacks the copyright then it could be copied :).......If he used this copy as a basis for his work he could do so with impunity :)......
Try it and see what happens. })

gregory

If it lacks the copyright then it could be copied :)
That isn't the case; don't try it !

Someone on this site was playing at giving RW an antique appearance, which actually looked extremely good in my opinion. But stated that he could not sell them because his work was based on a copyrighted addition of RW.

If he used this copy as a basis for his work he could do so with impunity :)

Does anyone remember who it is ? ? ?
Vaguely - but as that is NOT the case, he wouldn't be daft enough to do it. There is some doubt when USG copyrght does expire - they reckon longer than most people think - but in their view it still holds up for a few more years - and there is the possibility they will find a way to extend it

VERY few decks - including brand new ones which are unquestionably copyrighted - have the copyright on every card - just as books don't have it on every page.