Crossing card in Celtic cross?

CCTheGreat

I tried the Celtic cross the first time and boy did it do a number on me. The more I look at it the more it seems to reveal. Also, I feel like it's just told me what I already know... which isn't helpful. Like I asked for how my relationship will unfold with this person and all the deck did was provide me with more details on HOW to get there not what THERE actually is. *shakes her head* I'm actually laughing out loud because this deck totally just schooled me.

Anyway!

My first card was 5 of swords. (Conflict and Defeat in my deck) and the crossing card was Transformation (Death). I'm having difficulty interpreting how Transformation could be an obstacle or challenge. The only interpretation I could really get at was that it showed an end to the card beneath it? Unless it's transforming into something that leads me into Conflict and defeat?

Ideas?

rwcarter

Moderator Note

Hi CCTheGreat,

This thread was moved from Tarot Spreads. It sounds like you've given us either the card titles or keywords from the deck you've used. Can you provide us your actual interpretations of the two cards you've listed?

Others, please hold off until the OP has provided the requested interpretations.

rwcarter, co-Moderator of Using Tarot Cards

CCTheGreat

Interpretations

Conflict and defeat: I feel as if this is a losing situation. I'm plagued with doubt and what ifs. I'm naturally fearful and suspicious when it comes to feelings and relationships. So I feel like this card illustrates this feeling. It's unlikely and impossible that I this could be real or possible. Or at least that is my thinking.

I think the transformation card is an indication that this way of thinking is undergoing change? I'm having difficulty understanding how this is an obstacle to the first card though.

CCTheGreat

Interpretations

Conflict and defeat: I feel as if this is a losing situation. I'm plagued with doubt and what ifs. I'm naturally fearful and suspicious when it comes to feelings and relationships. So I feel like this card illustrates this feeling. It's unlikely and impossible that I this could be real or possible. Or at least that is my thinking.

I think the transformation card is an indication that this way of thinking is undergoing change? I'm having difficulty understanding how this is an obstacle to the first card though.

rwcarter

My first card was 5 of swords. (Conflict and Defeat in my deck) and the crossing card was Transformation (Death). I'm having difficulty interpreting how Transformation could be an obstacle or challenge. The only interpretation I could really get at was that it showed an end to the card beneath it? Unless it's transforming into something that leads me into Conflict and defeat?
When asking about help with cards from a Celtic Cross reading, it really helps to let us know what positions are used. I personally have at least 30 different versions of the Celtic Cross in my spreads database.

Generally the first card in the CC is the situation and the second card is the crossing card, that which brings tension to the situation. 5S could represent a relationship where one person dominates the other one, being overbearing and bullying to the other person. Transformation in that case could point to trying to end the relationship or at least end that power imbalance in the relationship. Of course if the positions in the CC you used are different....

Rodney

Barleywine

I've come to see the crossing card as representing both a challenge and an opportunity. I now call it the "Major Motivators" position and see it as advice on how to get "out of the gate" and start making progress. As an opportunity, Death could be "opening the door" to release the mental stress from the 5 of Swords.

Farzon

Well, the crossing card doesn't need to be an obstacle at all. It can also be a strengthening influence depending on the card's meaning.

In your case I'd say the cards complement each other. There is a feeling of conflict in the air, maybe a simple fear of being treated in an unfair way. AND there is a change coming up. To see where this change is leading, you'd should look to the cards for the near future and long term outcome.

[Advertisement]
Oh, and if you're new to reading the Celtic Cross, keep your eye on the Exchange Circle board! March's Newbies Circle could be interesting for you!
[/Advertisement]

headincloud

The 5S may be a split paired with death, I'd read a situation of conflict that's dragging on without the resolution of the end to it in death. Struggling for closure around this situation.

CCTheGreat

When asking about help with cards from a Celtic Cross reading, it really helps to let us know what positions are used. I personally have at least 30 different versions of the Celtic Cross in my spreads database.

Generally the first card in the CC is the situation and the second card is the crossing card, that which brings tension to the situation. 5S could represent a relationship where one person dominates the other one, being overbearing and bullying to the other person. Transformation in that case could point to trying to end the relationship or at least end that power imbalance in the relationship. Of course if the positions in the CC you used are different....

Rodney

The positions for these cards were 1: the current situation or reason for spread. 2/ the crossing card: the problem or challenge.