Is anyone familiar with the "I Naibi Di Giovanni Vacchetta" deck?

Kingfish

I bought this deck 3 or 4 years ago at a time when I would occasionally buy a deck that I saw online, got excited about, ordered. recieved, put it away on a shelf. I just did a spread with it, and fell in love with the cards. Could be my favorite eventually but not good for now as I'm a beginner and am using the RWS for learning, although I don't care for the artwork or colors particularly. The "Naibi" deck I have is matte finish and no border. When I went online, curious to find out where I purchased it, I didn't find it, but noticed a reissue with different colors, gloss, and a green border---yuk.
Anyway, i would like to use the deck but does anyone know of a reference book? I don't understand much of the symbolism--just something here and there. The pip cards give some clues as to their meaning and I read somewhere that this deck may have been a precursor to the RWS. I just love the atmoshere of these cards, although I prefer cross cultural symbols to strictly Christian symbols, but nevertheless I find this deck to be fabulous!

BTW, are there any popular decks that come in matte finishes? I think the gloss detracts and I find matte cards to have a totally different feel which I really like. They just feel more natural to me, even more communicative.

Le Fanu

First of all, I can´t answer your question, and no, I can´t recommend a book which goes with your Naibi deck...

However, just wanted to chip in and say that I agree with you, this deck is wonderful. What you have sounds like the Meneghello version. What I have is the reprinted version with (green) borders which Lo Scarabeo published under the name Tarot of the Master and which is no longer being issued. I know what you mean about the gloss, but r.e the borders, I snipped´em all off. Now it looks lovely. I have one version with borders and one without.

The imagery of these decks, though, is really quite special. Neither Marseilles nor Soprafino nor RWS. Inhabits a kind of fairytale middle-ground. Whimsical, cheeky and with comic touches. Some pip card are almost narrative. Some court cards - like the Queen of Swords - most definitely are. It reminds me of the Arts and Crafts book illustrations. Beautiful colours too; 19th Century watercolours with pen and ink. This is how I always imagined tarot decks should be and yet I only saw it for the first time this year and bought it really very recently. I feel as if this has been part of my collection for years.

It is odd how the gloss can affect the feel of cards. I was after Tarot Antiguo di Lombardy for ages, and then when I saw it in a shop, pounced on it, bought it, got it home, tore off cellophane all aquiver, and the deck just slipped and slid everywhere. Seemed as if that varnish had obliterated every ounce of history which the deck originally possessed, and now it just seems all shiney and soul-less.

If you like these matt finish decks (which I do), Meneghello is always a good bet. Those limited editions from Alida. Much nicer to the touch. The images feel more immediate somehow, though there is one Marseilles deck (not the Svizzero one; another one. It has Justice on the box) which has been coated with - by all accounts (I don´t have it; Ive just heard) - a yukky rubbery finish - so beware. Generally though, Meneghello are matt.

As for reading, Im in a period of intensive deck study - IDS I think it´s officially called now - with another deck and so havent given it much attention. Im a bit ambivalent about how easy it might be to read. I don´t know. I don´t want to say for certain, but maybe it´s too decorative, too diaphanous, too languid.... Dunno. I have to try it out and see.....

VGimlet

Also can't answer your question, but I agree, this deck is beautiful.

I have recently become interested in the older decks, and this one is on the top of my wanted list - not the Tarot of the Master version, but the Meneghello version. It is beautiful, and I agree with Le Fanu, whimsical and a bit on the cheeky side. :p It looks like a fun deck to read with.

magpie9

This is a great reading deck--I have the LS green bordered version. You'll find threads on it under "Tarot of the Master", or Vacchetta. The Marseille threads might help with the minors' meanings, since this deck is pre-Golden Dawn.

Kingfish

thnx all for the feedback.

I have the "Meneghello" edition. Yep. I think these cards approximate what most people picture in the back of their minds when they hear "tarot cards." For me they are some type of "ideal" or "prototype"---don't know the right word---"classic"?
I think this deck is in a sense more "surreal" and more "mystical" than many decks today that attempt to be. It's very cool..

Abrac

I've only seen one other deck that can rival the beauty and richness of this deck's colors, and that's the hand-colored Noblet by Flornoy. I got lucky and snagged one of the last ones from House of Tarot before they ran out, but I see Alida still has it.

Cerulean

Generally, but has the Lo Scarabeo version and general tarot meanings

It's called the FortuneTeller's Bible, with all pictures in miniature of the Vacchetta and the Lo Scarabeo version coloring. The Lo Scarabeo keyword titles on the side are cut off, so it looks more like the Vacchetta pictures alone...by Jane Struthers

Here's the UK edition info:

# Paperback: 400 pages
# Publisher: Godsfield Press Ltd (15 Nov 2007)
# Language English
# ISBN-10: 184181329X
# ISBN-13: 978-1841813295
# Product Dimensions: 16.6 x 14 x 3.2 cm

Here's the U.S. version details:
Product Details

* Paperback: 400 pages
* Publisher: Sterling (January 1, 2008)
* Language: English
* ISBN-10: 1402752253
* ISBN-13: 978-1402752254
* Product Dimensions: 6.5 x 5.5 x 1.2 inches
* Shipping Weight: 1.3 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)
* Average Customer Review:

It's not a great book, but it's a pretty nifty section in itself and I tore/cut the section out to put with my matte finish deck. Since it's glued into the book with endpapers for that section, you won't actually tear out any information that pertains to any other section.

Actually, I bought a version of the "wonderful tarots" that Lo Scarabeo used to have and my green-bordered version of the Vacchetta deck is on matte finish stock.

The old giant Dotti from Il Meneghello and other Italian decks used to be at Alidastore.com or Tarotgarden.com...sometimes House of Tarot and I'm certain others will recommend other decks/places to buy.

Good luck and happy hunting.

Cerulean

SolSionnach

I have 2 copies of the red box Del Solleone Vachetta Naibi - they are matte, on cream colored cardstock with black line drawings, squared corners. It's a very nice edition - and I wouldn't mind parting with one of them. It'll cost ya, though!

Le Fanu

Hey, Abrac, the hand-coloured Noblet by Flornoy you mentioned that Alida still has is catalogued under what name?

I don´t know this deck and suspect I might like it:) ...and I thought I looked there the other day for Noblet and couldnt find anything....

Abrac

I'm sorry, my wording was a bit misleading. I meant the Vacchetta was available at Alida. Flornoy's Noblet should be available at Tarot Garden or at his Web site.