10- Fortune! In learning you teach, and in teaching you will learn!

Owl Tarot

Welcome folks, welcome to yet another Thoth Trump! As some of you already know, I decided to start weekly threads about some of the thoughts and interpretations, as they come to me the moment I am writing, of the Trump I am currently studying. It is the third time I undergo this process (of weekly Trump study I mean) because in the previous two I gained further insight about the cards so I decided to follow this process yet again, but with a slightly different twist in it! So, anyone willing and available to provide some thoughts and opinions for me to work and contemplate about would be appreciated! I also hope my thoughts as of this post and moment help you!

X- Fortune

Planetary Trump of Jupiter

21st Path, connecting Chesed to Netzach. Hebrew letter: Kaph

Book of Thoth said:
i. R.O.T.A. The Wheel
This card is attributed to the planet Jupiter, “the Greater Fortune” in astrology. It corresponds to the letter Kaph, which means the palm of the hand, in whose lines, according to another tradition, the fortune of the owner may be read. [Kaph 20 Peh 80 =100, Qoph, Pisces. The initials K Ph are those of .te.. and fa....] It would be narrow to think of Jupiter as good fortune; he represents the element of luck. The incalculable factor.

This card thus represents the Universe in its aspect as a continual change of state. Above, the firmament of stars. These appear distorted in shape, although they are balanced, some being brilliant and some dark. From them, through the firmament, issue lightnings; they churn it into a mass of blue and violet plumes. In the midst of all this is suspended a wheel of ten spokes, according to the number of the Sephiroth, and of the sphere of Malkuth, indicating governance of physical affairs.

For the numerical value of 100, another interesting assosiaton is that of "the times". For 21 (the number of the Path) we get among others "Existence, Being, the Kether-name of GOD". As Crowley said, the palm of the hand is according to Palmistry a map of one's life. To remaid on that a bit, this card is also, in a way, a glyph of the Universe's functions.

The aphorism "Change is stability" is present here, and the Wheel represents the constant motion of the Universe which is essential for it to function properly. The Stars above are of particular importance, are bright and dark as well as 5-pointed, at least most of them, especially because:

Liber AL vel Legis said:
3. Every man and every woman is a star.
12. Come forth, o children, under the stars, & take your fill of love!

With this in mind, Crowley goes on to tell us that from them through the firmament issues lighting. 9 thunderbolts are visible, and this reminds us of the Greek myth about Zeus-Jupiter and Typhon, and in this card both are present. Typhon was a Titan, and attacked the mount Olympus after the defeat of his brothers by Zeus to enact revenge. After more then one battles, Zeus defeated Typhon by the use of his thunderbolts, and hurled mountain Aetna on him. More on Typhon later though.

The spokes of the Wheel are ten, and ten is a number usually assosiated with completion and universal creation. The 10 Sephira is an example.

Book of Thoth said:
On this wheel are three figures, the Sworded Sphinx, Hermanubis, and Typhon; they symbolize the three forms of energy which govern the movement of phenomena.

The nature of these qualities requires careful description. In the Hindu system are three Gunas - Sattvas, Rajas and Tamas. The word “Guna” is untranslatable. It is not quite an element, a quality, a form of energy, a phase, or a potential; all of these ideas enter into it. All the qualities that can be predicated of anything may be ascribed to one or more of these Gunas: Tamas is darkness, inertia, sloth, ignorance, death and the like; Rajas is energy, excitement, fire, brilliance, restlessness; Sattvas is calm, intelligence, lucidity and balance. They correspond to the three principal Hindu castes.

One of the most important aphorisms of Hindu philosophy is:
“the Gunas revolve”.
This means that, according to the doctrine of continual change, nothing can remain in any phase where one of these Gunas is predominant; however dense and dull that thing may be, a time will come when it begins to stir. The end and reward of the effort is a state of lucid quietude, which, however, tends ultimately to sink into the original inertia.

The Gunas are represented in European philosophy by the three qualities, sulphur, mercury and salt, already pictured in Atu I, III and IV. But in this card the attribution is somewhat different. The Sphinx is composed of the four Kerubs, shown in Atu V, the bull, the lion, the eagle and the man. These correspond, furthermore, to the four magical virtues, to Know, to Will, to Dare, and to Keep Silence.

Here Crowley goes on to introduce us to the figures on the Wheel. Typhon, who we spoke about before, is Tamas and Alchemically speaking he represents the quality of Salt, the Sphinx is Rajas and Alchemically speaking she represents the quality of Sulphur and our third and last (but not least!) figure is Hermanubis, Sattvas and Alchemically speaking the quality of Mercury.

The aphorism "the Gunas revolve" is of particular importance for the motion of the Wheel itself. The revolution of the three produces the motion of the Wheel and keeps the Universe going. None of our three protagonists may stay dominant on the top of the Wheel for ever. Every single Guna may dominate the Wheel and reach the top, but won't stay forever, because the motion of the Universe won't stop there.

I would like to take a break here and speak about the Sephiroth which this card connects. It connects Chesed to Netzach. It is a Path that is entirely on the Left hand Pillar of Mercy. Jupiter (Zeus) is one of the Demiurge Gods assosiated with the Sphere of Chesed, and one way to think of Chesed is as the architect of the Universe, anabolic quality and construction. You may also think of him as someone taking the abstract and non-manifest ideas from the Supernal Triad above the Abyss and formulates them, gives them life. He is also the perserver of the Universe, the loving father whose action in out Trump here is to strike with thunderbolts Typhon, who represents "darkness, inertia, sloth, ignorance, death and the like" as Crowley tells us above.

Netzach is the Sphere of Venus. In Tiphareth, the white light goes through a prism and we have all the other colours, which allow for manifestation in form later in Malkuth. This Sphere is usually assosiated with emotions and desires. I also think of it as a Sphere of natural forces and the forms they take. Thus, the function of this particular Sephira is present here, because we have natural forces which are given symbolic images. Rythm is also of importance for this Sephira, which is apparent by the whole context.

We have a fist symbol (a translation of the letter Kaph) right at the lower end of the Wheel, from which emanate 6 rays if you look carefully. Fortuna is the daughter of Jupiter, and used to represent the personification of luck, further connecting to the idea of the incalculable factor of life.

Also, behind the Wheel is an equilateral triangle, possibly referring to the harmony of the revolution of the Gunas. If we look at it as a tetractys, the axle of the Wheel which is a 10-pointed Star is almost at the triangle's top-most point, a symbol of Hadit, Kether I think:

Liber AL vel Legis said:
II:7 I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle.

The Star is also ten pointed, just like the Star of the circle above the Wheel, and I assosiate that with the Hermetic principle "As above, so below".

In the Book of Thoth, Crowley also goes forward to continue presenting a part of the 4th Aethyr which is really into context, but this post is already getting too long so I may post more it later.

Okay, it was yet another good exercise in itself for me, and I hope it both helps you and motivates you to give me some food for thought! That's some of the things I could say about this card as I see it today of course, I hope it was nice and not tooooooo boring and I'm looking forward to hear your thoughts as well!

Owl Tarot

Come on people, show Fortune some love! The rest of the threads about it here in the Forum ain't that well developed either, so we could make a better thread about it here!