2 of cups as an obstacle???

@rtemouri

I think that's a fair assessment. Somewhere I saw the 2 of Cups described as "new love" (even "puppy love" among the very young), and the 4 of Swords is simply saying "Wait and see." The obstacle would be the fragile nature of that "newness."
Yes and it feels right i think!But it's strange that i wouldn't think of that without the clarifier, the 4 of swords.I rarely use clarifiers but here it seems very interesting how the cards are trying to show you where you should focus.'The fragile nature of that newness' sounds great for the 2ofC barleywine!

MadeiraDarling

A lot of these interpretations are great. I think it could also mean that one of the possible obstacles is sort of... "the idea of relationships" like the idealized dream of love getting in the way of the mundane, more difficult reality?

Barleywine

A lot of these interpretations are great. I think it could also mean that one of the possible obstacles is sort of... "the idea of relationships" like the idealized dream of love getting in the way of the mundane, more difficult reality?

Idealized is good. Also possibly "too anxious for it to be true, and acting accordingly"

@rtemouri

I just can't stop thinking of that!

''If music be the food of love, play on.
Give me excess of it that, surfeiting,
The appetite may sicken, and so die.
That strain again, it had a dying fall.
Oh, it came o'er my ear like the sweet sound,
That breathes upon a bank of violets,
Stealing and giving odor. Enough, no more.
'Tis not so sweet now as it was before.
O spirit of love, how quick and fresh art thou,
That, notwithstanding thy capacity
Receiveth as the sea, nought enters there,
Of what validity and pitch soe'er,
But falls into abatement and low price
Even in a minute. So full of shapes is fancy
That it alone is high fantastical.''

Maru

That's very interesting maru.I've never had the 2ofC in a reading like that.I always expect to see the empress, or hp, or a court card to indicate something like that.Especially for a smothering mother i would expect to see the empress!The idea of a secret admirer is also interesting.So it may represent someone who is trying to do 'his thing' and this might be the obstacle for something new with my friend.

Yeah the key difference is the 2C I think if someone who is "getting in the way". So if it's a person, then it'd be that their only real connection is that they're constantly hitting the guy up with texts, for conversations, to go out to lunch (platonically speaking), etc. Think low level love triangle, except it's imagined by the third party for the most part and the guy in the middle is just trying to get on with them and keep it amicable. So depending on surrounding cards, maybe he has commitment issues (hence can't say no to the bunny boiler) or he is waffling between options...

Another example may be a coworker who is female who he is really close to. Same connection, they have lunch, have a lot of conversations (some personal), but for the most part it's platonic. They're always together in some form and yet it's supposedly platonic. He may think it's platonic, but it's possible for her that it isn't. Either way, it's mixed signals. So he may be that guy. With her in the picture, it may be harder for him to find time to meet up with the new flame since he's still being hit up constantly by this other chick. So that can be very distressing if at the beginning of a relationship he's been text-ing this other chick like crazy... especially if the other chick wants to know what's going on with his love life. For some people, that sort of intimacy with regards to friends of the same gender is a deal breaker. Especially if it comes out in the wash that she reveals her feelings to him and now he's stuck in-between two chicks...

@rtemouri

I also think that the interpretations you posted are great.It's fascinating how (sometimes) the discussion in this forum and the different points of view affects the way i see the whole reading and also how i gain a deeper understanding of each card.
From all the interpretations i slant towards 'the fargile nature of the 2C' with the 4S 'wait and see' warning.What MadeiraDarling wrote is also interesting and so true (when the obstacle to build a real relationship is 'the idea of an idealized relationship') coupled with the 'too anxious for it to be true' that barleywine said.I also find that maru's thoughts are very interesting when the 2C describes another existing relationship of any kind that can be an obstacle to a new one.I will keep that in mind next time i see 2C!