The 5 of Pentacles is haunting my friendship. Help please

TaureanWitch

I occasionally check up on my relationships through tarot

I have this one friend, lets call her L, who I'm very confused about with my readings

A quick rundown of our history: we've actually known each other for years. But we met at a time when i was almost literally the hermit card. I wanted to be alone and had no interest in new friends. I was sorting out a lot of things in my life.

Now things have changed and I am ready for new friends and experiences. Me and L have been hanging out a LOT for the past two months. Now that I'm open, we clique really well. Tons of things in common, same sense of humor. We have not yet had one disagreement or fight. I really dont see why we ever would

I get the 5 of pentacles in almost every reading i do asking how she feels about her friendship with me. I've reworded it many times over the past 2 months. "How does she feel about her friendship with me", "What does she think of her friendship with me", so on and so forth.

I'm stumped here.

At first, i thought i was getting the 5 of pentacles because of the fact that we've known each other for so long and i never wanted to hang out. So it may have made her feel "shunned". So I understood that. But I'm still getting this card after hanging out with her almost weekly for 2 months!!!!

I've bought her food, I've literally cooked for her, i offered to help her pay for her son's medicine that she didn't have the money for at the time. So when it comes to pentacles, I've never turned away from her in terms of money. In terms of security, I've told her she can come to my house any time or turn to me if need be.

So the 5 of pentacles must mean something else and I'm not getting the messge.

Is it possible that she's the one still blocking me out in some way? She's been so open with me. Divulged things about her and her life to me that I wouldn't divulge in such a short time. I have opened up to her too and told her personal things.......

I shall very much appreciate your input and interpretations. Thanks so much!

P.S.: i felt it might be important to know that L suffers from anxiety and depression. I do too. It's something we bond over in ways and support each other through. I wonder if that is significant to the 5 of pentacles in some way...

magicjack

Hi. I'm not sure if anyone will agree with me here but I have another meaning for the 5 of coins especially when surrounded by positive cards. It's can mean a sort of birds of a feather flock together. Attraction to one another. This is not a golden dawn meaning of this card but who cares. As you can see the 2 people are sharing their problems and have become friends or sharing something in common. In their case it is being down and out. It can actually mean lovers of the same kind. Finding common ground and feelings of the same. If this card had been surrounded by other negative looking cards I would probably interpret it to the more traditional meaning.Hope that helps.

magicjack

Strangely enough I hadn't actually read your entire post until now after I sent. The above post.

rwcarter

Moderator Note

Hi TaureanWitch,

Please edit your post to either remove mention of the other cards or provide interpretations of them. Per the UTC Posting Rules, you must interpret all cards you mention.

rwcarter, co-Moderator of Using Tarot Cards

rwcarter

Hi. I'm not sure if anyone will agree with me here but I have another meaning for the 5 of coins especially when surrounded by positive cards. It's can mean a sort of birds of a feather flock together. Attraction to one another. This is not a golden dawn meaning of this card but who cares. As you can see the 2 people are sharing their problems and have become friends or sharing something in common. In their case it is being down and out. It can actually mean lovers of the same kind. Finding common ground and feelings of the same. If this card had been surrounded by other negative looking cards I would probably interpret it to the more traditional meaning.Hope that helps.
What came to mind for me was two people who stick through thick and thin together, friends through the good times and the bad. So we're on the same track, just using different terms.

Rodney

barefootlife

i felt it might be important to know that L suffers from anxiety and depression. I do too. It's something we bond over in ways and support each other through. I wonder if that is significant to the 5 of pentacles in some way...

People with anxiety and depression often have self-destructive tendencies, and 5 of Pentacles often comes up for me in those contexts. If she's been through a traumatic event like a divorce or the loss of her home, etc (since you've mentioned things where you're giving her financial support as well as emotional), she may not feel entirely comfortable about it, even if she expresses her thankfulness, because she can't give back in kind. People in financial situations often feel touchy about receiving 'charity', even if it's not being given in that spirit at all. Temperance is healing, renewal, and balance, which to me would back up that idea of feeling the amount of support she's getting from you is unbalanced compared to what she's giving back, even though the relationship is in truth helpful and healing for you as well. It's really common with the depression/anxiety combo pack (as you probably know).

It might help to make it super clear to her (repeatedly) that you appreciate everything she's doing for you. Make sure she's honestly comfortable with you doing things for her that could be considered financial help.

TaureanWitch

Omg. Actually, that helps a lot! Your response made me realize something: in the typical image of the 5 of pentacles, two people are struggling together. In the deck i used (Modern Spellcaster's Tarot) the two people are holding each other as they walk away in their pain. L and I bond a lot over our struggles and we help each other out when we can.* Your response gave me an epiphany. L and i are the two struggling people walking together in the image! THANK YOU

TaureanWitch

People with anxiety and depression often have self-destructive tendencies, and 5 of Pentacles often comes up for me in those contexts. If she's been through a traumatic event like a divorce or the loss of her home, etc (since you've mentioned things where you're giving her financial support as well as emotional), she may not feel entirely comfortable about it, even if she expresses her thankfulness, because she can't give back in kind. People in financial situations often feel touchy about receiving 'charity', even if it's not being given in that spirit at all. Temperance is healing, renewal, and balance, which to me would back up that idea of feeling the amount of support she's getting from you is unbalanced compared to what she's giving back, even though the relationship is in truth helpful and healing for you as well. It's really common with the depression/anxiety combo pack (as you probably know).

It might help to make it super clear to her (repeatedly) that you appreciate everything she's doing for you. Make sure she's honestly comfortable with you doing things for her that could be considered financial help.

This is something I've wondered too. She almost cried once when we were doing archery together and accidentally broke one of my husband's arrows. We repeatedly told her it was no big deal and all a part of archery, but she was still bothered and kept saying she'd pay us back but we refused.

However, I've let her buy me stuff before so i hope she understands that i don't view her as a charity case. Thank you so much for your help. I will keep this in consideration

TaureanWitch

What came to mind for me was two people who stick through thick and thin together, friends through the good times and the bad. So we're on the same track, just using different terms.

Rodney

I'm starting to see it this way too. The two people in the image are struggling together, side by side. Perhaps this is what the cards are trying to tell me :)

Thirteen

However, I've let her buy me stuff before so i hope she understands that i don't view her as a charity case.
Readers often view the 5/Pents as people cast out, but it can actually mean "pride" and people who refuse to, yes, take charity. They either refuse any help, no matter how desperately they could use it, or they seek help from someone they know (a friend or relative) rather than take handouts from a church or go on government assistance. There is a feeling that a friend/relative can be paid back and, thus, carry less stigma and shame than if that help is taken from a charity or welfare.

So, ironically enough, there is an element of "pride" in the 5/Pents card, in spite of how humbling the two out in the snow appear. They might not be kicked out or blocked...they might be refusing to go in because it means taking charity from strangers. You'll notice that the 6/Pents that follow shows just that, by the way. Someone finally admitting they need help from more than a friend/relative, and that it's okay to take it.