Ipswich Murders: Is it insensitive to throw a few cards?

Little Baron

In the UK, the news has been dominated by the deaths of three women in the past week. All three young women have been murdered. And it seems, all three were working as prostitutes.

Today, another two bodies have been found. Obviously, with this quick succession, the police are in a race against time to find the killer before he kills again.

They apparently have little evidence but have started to build up a profile of what they think the man [if it is a man] is like.

I feel really compelled to pull a few cards as well. In a way, just so that I feel I am doing something. Does that sound silly?

In the light of this dreadful situation, do you think it is insensitive to pull some cards and do a reading? Thinking of using positions to try and get a better idea about the killer.

What are your views?

LB

Miren

Not insensitive, I think. It would be insensitive to go and insist on sharing your reading with the families, etc. You'll just have to figure out what to do with the reading after you do it. What's the right thing to do... :neutral:

Sometimes when we're otherwise powerless it's good to be able to do something.

Elven

No, I dont think its insensitive.

I recently pulled some cards regarding a shooting in Australia, and often see news items I am 'drawn' to read about as the reports (intuitively) prompt me to do so. The information I recieve through the media, somehow doesnt seem correct - so I will draw a card to calrify what 'I' feel about the situation.

This situation sounds truely horrific though - I hope they catch this criminal very soon - and that not one more person suffers!

Blessings Elven x

Little Baron

Miren said:
Not insensitive, I think. It would be insensitive to go and insist on sharing your reading with the families, etc. You'll just have to figure out what to do with the reading after you do it. What's the right thing to do... :neutral:

Sometimes when we're otherwise powerless it's good to be able to do something.

I am not sure what I would do with the reading. I actually wasn't thinking that far ahead. It was just to examine it all a bit closer, I suppose. And since I wasn't going to approach anyone with it, that is why I asked if it was an insensitive [or pointless] exercise. I remember that we have done things like this on the forum before; when people have gone missing. It is sometimes interesting to see if people come up with similar details and whether they have any relevance to the case as if unfolds. Of course, I don't intend to turn these poor girls deaths into a tarot game, but with all of our talk about the connection between tarot and psychic ability, it is something we could work on sensitively and professionally, from a safe distance.

As I am sure many people are, I have been shocked by these awful events.

LB

Sulis

I don't think it's insensitive, I've thought of doing the same thing myself.

I'm sure people have posted readings about missing people and unsolved crimes in Your Readings before and I seem to remember some readings about the Washington DC murderer (the guy who was shooting people) being discussed a few years ago.

Sihaya

I agree that it's not insensitive to read about murder cases.
But be prepared to freak out. I did a reading last June on Jon Benet Ramsey, and I predicted that someone would come forward by the end of the summer. And look what happened. When that one nutjob was caught I was so wierded out.

Little Baron

Sulis said:
I don't think it's insensitive, I've thought of doing the same thing myself.

Thanks Sulis.

I think, as long as it doesn't bother anyone, that I might open up a thread in Your Readings. I will pull a few cards later. As a 'mod', is it ok for others to add their own readings to my thread as well?

LB

TenOfSwords

I see divination as a part of my perception of the world in the same way as my empathy and my normal eye-sight and so forth. A reading in that sense is just like lighting a candle in a dark room to see better.

In that way, what I choose to stick my nose in so to speak from an ethical/moral viewpoint is the same regardless of whether I use the tarot or my normal eye sight: Is it any of my business sticking my nose in this?

I'd be worried about crossing the line between public interest and private invasion, but if you're confident that you can stay in the area already presented to the public as 'their business' then I don't see any difference in making a reading on this and making a reading on other mundane events.

I do have a hunch that the media already crossed the line into private invasion because they usually do that and I wouldn't want to follow them there, but I haven't seen this particular story so I don't have any useful opinion on that aspect.

Moonbow

Hi Littlebuddha,

By all means open up a thread, I've been thinking of doing a reading myself on this. Did you hear on the news a few minutes ago that they think these last two murders are now connected.

I need to check with my co-moderators, but I seem to remember Moongold opening a similar thread with various readings in it. The difficulty with this is that poster must be specific on which reading they are replying to.

Meanwhile, this may be better in Talking Tarot! I'll move it if we decide to.

Go ahead.