Can the 4 of swords be negative

Kenny

I would also say that one person could be relaxing when should be doing.

There are times when someone could be calm and remote while the world is falling apart around them. If they were mucking in then the world may not start to fall apart, as another saying goes: a stitch in time saves nine.

Elnor

As a possible obstacle, I thought of an example I saw occur several years ago- it was a relationship where one partner would withdraw and self-isolate himself whenever he felt the need... regardless of how his partner was struggling to cope by herself.

He would take himself off to do his own thing, and leave her to do everything for the child, the house, the chores... his excuse was that his inner seeking was of more importance; more 'spiritual' than the mundane day-to-day stuff she was left to deal with alone. He would get impatient with what he perceived as being trivial, and refused to understand why it was important to her that the house was clean, the kid dressed and at school on time- etc.etc.

It could be that when one partner expects to be able to go back into their cave if and when they fancy, (I can't help but think of Greta Garbo- "I vant to be alone!" :D) then it's going to get pretty frustrating for anyone they are involved with.

elnor

balenciaga

4 of SW as Exile

I read the 4 of Sw as "cutting oneself off", as self-imposed exile. Whether to spite, to retreat, to contemplate, whatever. If it comes up repeatedly, then this is the person's way of handling stress - retreat from the action.

Thirteen

balenciaga said:
I read the 4 of Sw as "cutting oneself off", as self-imposed exile. Whether to spite, to retreat, to contemplate, whatever. If it comes up repeatedly, then this is the person's way of handling stress - retreat from the action.
Good interpetation--and it dovetails very well with Elnor's example. The "I need my space," argument--which can go either way, a partner who really needs a "room of their own," or one who uses it as an excuse to duck out of responsiblities.

There was a thread a while back about the origins of the Rider-Waite card, with the man on the coffin. Evidently, knights going on crusades would often have a crypt made for themselves before they left...just in case. If they returned alive, they would lay in that crypt, not only to meditate and recover, but to contemplate on the fact that they could have died, and, by the grace of God, did not.

Which brings up another thought on the "obstacle"--if a person of faith and goes in for regular prayer/meditation (even Yoga), vs a person who isn't into that. Likewise, if one partner has been in the military and seen action and the other has not. I certainly would not be surprised to see this card come up for someone with PTSD, or who was in some sort of therapy for that.

Papageno

Thirteen said:
There was a thread a while back about the origins of the Rider-Waite card, with the man on the coffin. Evidently, knights going on crusades would often have a crypt made for themselves before they left...just in case. If they returned alive, they would lay in that crypt, not only to meditate and recover, but to contemplate on the fact that they could have died, and, by the grace of God, did not.

I remember a similar thread that suggested the 4/swords might also indicate burying a secret? taking a secret with them to the grave.
that's always intrigued me and doesn't seem completely out of the realm of possibility.

Little Baron

Papageno said:
I remember a similar thread that suggested the 4/swords might also indicate burying a secret? taking a secret with them to the grave.
that's always intrigued me and doesn't seem completely out of the realm of possibility.

Oooh, I like that Papa! [maybe it concerns the slutty antics of the Page of Cups ... whoops, wrong thread :D ]

LB

Papageno

Little Baron said:
Oooh, I like that Papa! [maybe it concerns the slutty antics of the Page of Cups ... whoops, wrong thread :D ]

LB

I like it too }) and I think it has merit.
I think it can be applied to dwellings, safe boxes and tombs alike.

the slutty page of cups probably haunts places similar to the clubs I used to work in a zillion years ago in the "glory days"
zany antics in dark places with dark secrets.
the structure of four is notorious for not letting in the light of day.

(btw your NOVT box is very nice. it's the exact same color as the tarot totes "sleeper" bag I have mine in. another one of those NOVT "synchronisities")

Little Baron

[Thanks Papa. Still not finished. Have so little time these days :( ]

But I like what you say about the 'four' not letting light in. It is a very closed space. Like a room with no door.

In answer to the original poster, I think it might aid a relationship to take a short mental break. Some time either apart or doing something together which might release the tension. There might be too many words. Too many arguments. Not enough space for you both to have a mental breather. It might be about trying to find a door amongst those four walls of your relationship, to let a little steam out.

Alternatively, you could see the stability of the four as being a little dull. Have you run out of things to say to each other? Has the spark become mundane???

LB

cerulean_lotus

The 4 of Swords can be negative in relationship readings

Hi, I wanted to add my input.
I did a relationship reading and the 4 of Swords came up as my position. Basically, it means that you feel that someone isn't holding up their end of the bargain or is taking advantage of you. I have the Farber deck which shows a monk in meditation surrounded by 4 swords. The swords in this case are like sharp energies around you indicating a lot of tension between you and the other person/party. Hope this helps.