Bohemian Gothic (2nd Edition) Justice

strings of life

This Justice (Judgment) card has a sinister feel to it and makes me feel like justice may not be served or that the person or people being tried deserve the harshest of penalties. How I interpret it in a reading would determine on the question and the card’s placement among other surrounding. I like how I experience both sides of the meaning. In the right corner, we see the judge holding a candle in his left hand and a book in his left hand. He needs to take action and will know what to do when he sees the light. Or, perhaps he won't see the light? Right now, he senses and feels darkness. In the end, that darkness may remain – time will tell. He must walk up the path to the left and deliver his decision. Another stoic figure stares forward and awaits the outcome. His hands are crossed in front and he doesn’t look relaxed.

The book of laws resonates most with me and. We can take action when we are presented with the right tools, but choices depend on many factors. How will we be judged or how will we judge?

Libra8ca

The book the judge is holding is the Malleus Maleficarum (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malleus_maleficarum) a treatise on how to identify, try and convict witches.
This shows misguided justice based on prejudice and lack of evidence. It also makes me think of people who have been convicted of murder and then later turn out to be innocent.
The judge certainly looks very serious and thoughtful; maybe there is blackmail and bribery involved?
The book states the figure in the background may be someone assisting him; perhaps by torturing victims to get confessions.
The card certainly shows the dark side of justice.

strings of life

Libra8ca said:
The book the judge is holding is the Malleus Maleficarum (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malleus_maleficarum) a treatise on how to identify, try and convict witches.
This shows misguided justice based on prejudice and lack of evidence. It also makes me think of people who have been convicted of murder and then later turn out to be innocent..
This is a key component of the card and something I overlooked (the title of the book). See, this study group is helping already. How interesting...
Libra8ca said:
The judge certainly looks very serious and thoughtful; maybe there is blackmail and bribery involved?.
He looks thoughtful, but it can be misleading too, right? The interpretations of this card seem to go either way.
Libra8ca said:
The book states the figure in the background may be someone assisting him; perhaps by torturing victims to get confessions.
The card certainly shows the dark side of justice.
I wish I still had the book. He certainly does look like a sinister individual and quite apathetic.

DaughterOfDanu

I see this card totally differently. Rather than being a card of injustice, I see it as a card where a person is torn between being just and unjust. The figure in the back is actually the personification of justice. Almost like the wise old man. And he reminds us to always do whats right.

My notes:
This card is so interesting. There's so much going on.
I see a scene here. A judge is kept from sleep by the nagging feeling to do right or wrong. The book in his hands has a title familiar to the witches hammer- a book which started the massive witch hunts and burnings. This book he knows is wrong yet he is struggling whether to be truly just or follow his peers. His different colored eyes show represent the little angel and devil that we see on cartoon character's shoulders. Behind him is the true justice keeper. An old man who doesn't always go with what books or what the law says. Whether this person is a ghost, a messenger or a real person, I'm unsure. But what I'm sure of is that he's haunting the judge. Standing there like a statue and a constant reminder to the judge to do what's truly right. The judge seems to be "running" from him as he paces down the long hallway that can also be a representation of his long trail of thoughts.

Master_Margarita

Second versus First Edition

ETA: Go to FB (this is a public image and can be viewed by anyone) to see a side-by-side photograph of the two versions here.

The background color of the first edition is more teal; the second edition, more cadet blue almost shading to the lavender.

The gold lettering on the cover of the Malleus Maleficarum is much more conspicuous in the first edition card.

The bailiff in the background has a navy robe in the first edition and and a purple robe in the second edition.

The most eye-catching difference, however, is that the furnace in the first edition is glowing red-hot and in the second edition there is only a faint glow.

I don't see this judge as looking thoughtful at all. I think he looks unhinged. I see him as a true believer, a zealot, one who has never met a suspected witch he wasn't ready to condemn.

:heart: M_M~

BelovedK

I also see him as someone who shows no mercy, I like the word 'zealot.' He seems judgmental and dangerous, like you really need to be careful what you say around him lest he sentence you to a fiery death. I see the man in the background as an ominous sign that it may be too late for you. This is a very scary card to me. I feel like if I met this judge, I would surely die (unless I could find a way for him to think I hold the same views as he does.)

I plan to read a bit from the book later, today has blown up in my face (not all bad, but stressful)

strings of life

There is so much depth in this Justice card.

TreeLeafe said:
I see this card totally differently. Rather than being a card of injustice, I see it as a card where a person is torn between being just and unjust.
I see it this way as well, but my initial observation was that the judge already knows what his decision is. His idea of what is right may not be what the defendant feels is right and vice versa.

TreeLeafe said:
The figure in the back is actually the personification of justice. Almost like the wise old man. And he reminds us to always do whats right.
He looks rather smug to me, as if he doesn't really hold an opinion. His maroon denotes that denotes anger to me (red mixed with some black to darken it just a bit).

I also noticed that the judge's robe is purple, which represents knowledge. He has learned how to practice law, but he has also been involved with using laws that may have not been set up to be just. There are contradictions with what is known to one and sadly, each person has their own set of just rules at times. What is true justice?

TreeLeafe said:
His different colored eyes show represent the little angel and devil that we see on cartoon character's shoulders.
Great observation! I missed the different colors of his eyes. One is blue and one is red, denoting how he has thought passionately about his decision, or how his emotions and temper are fueling his decision.

TreeLeafe said:
Behind him is the true justice keeper. An old man who doesn't always go with what books or what the law says. Whether this person is a ghost, a messenger or a real person, I'm unsure. But what I'm sure of is that he's haunting the judge. Standing there like a statue and a constant reminder to the judge to do what's truly right. The judge seems to be "running" from him as he paces down the long hallway that can also be a representation of his long trail of thoughts.
I like your observations here and can see how the figure behind him may have more significance in this scenario than what I felt at first glance.

Master_Margarita said:
The most eye-catching difference, however, is that the furnace in the first edition is glowing red-hot and in the second edition there is only a faint glow.
I have the 1st ed. on its way to me, so I may check out the differences in the cards. Interesting.

Master_Margarita said:
I don't see this judge as looking thoughtful at all. I think he looks unhinged. I see him as a true believer, a zealot, one who has never met a suspected witch he wasn't ready to condemn.
:heart: M_M~
I agree.

BelovedK said:
I also see him as someone who shows no mercy, I like the word 'zealot.' He seems judgmental and dangerous, like you really need to be careful what you say around him lest he sentence you to a fiery death.
The background figure really does give me the sense that he is somewhat of a hidden threat and quite sinister even though he may not voice his opinion at the moment. He will surely let or show the judge know what he thinks after the verdict is made...

BelovedK said:
I see the man in the background as an ominous sign that it may be too late for you. This is a very scary card to me. I feel like if I met this judge, I would surely die (unless I could find a way for him to think I hold the same views as he does.)
This is one of the most scary Justice cards I have come across. It is also a reminder about how what is often deemed as just may not be.

Thirteen

Read the 1st Edition Posts!

You really ought to read through the first edition posts. They are filled with some very interesting gems, many from the deck authors.

If you had, you'd know that no "bailiff" in the background. That is the "spirit of the witch." Of those who the judge has put to death. Justice is about balance, and it will be balanced even for those who make the judgements.

strings of life

Thirteen said:
You really ought to read through the first edition posts. They are filled with some very interesting gems, many from the deck authors.
Hi Thirteen :). Thanks for the recommendation. That's on my list of things to do and I have been trying to decide if I want to do it after I go through all of the cards, or after the one that I write-up. I have the companion book now too, so I can read the background on the card. Right now, I am focusing on my interpretations of the cards and how the imagery presents itself to me.

I do have the 1st edition deck now, so I can do comparisons. I may or may not right now - not sure about that either.
Thirteen said:
If you had, you'd know that no "bailiff" in the background. That is the "spirit of the witch." Of those who the judge has put to death. Justice is about balance, and it will be balanced even for those who make the judgements.
How interesting. The figure in the background gives off a disturbing energy no matter what...