You never know what you might find...

magpie9

How interesting, Helvetica! I found my Ukiyoe about 12 years ago in a dusty jumbled curio shop, and paid $3. for it. It's a magical deck to me.

Do you suppose that Ukiyoe likes hanging out and playing hide and seek in these old dusty jumbled shops? We may have happened on their natural habitat, do you think?

Rosanne

Oh Helvetica, thats the second time this week I have been consumed by the green eyed monster. Congratulations on your lucky find.~Rosanne

jackdaw*

That is fantastic, Helvetica, I had a similar experience with the Buckland Romani a couple of weeks back, although I had been wanting that deck. Don't you love it when a deck decides you were meant to have it? :)

And now another deck goes on the wishlist!

la-luna

Ever since i got it (and yes in a place similar to the one where you found yours) i fell in love and kept returning to it periodical like to an old friend it feels so unthreatening and familiar but with an Asian twist.

And indeed the closeness of the deck to Marseilles-styles decks is so apparent (visual and to the deeper feeling) that i keep it in the same box as i do my Marseilles and Marseilles-variations decks

Sophie

More observations about the Ukiyoe.

La-Luna you are quite right - it is comfortingly close to the Marseille, but the art and the feel of the deck is entirely different. I am amused, for instance, by the Magician holding his little coin, like the Marseille Bateleur, who looks nonetheless completely Japanese. There is also the use of woodblock as a connection: in the 17th Century the Japanese started to use woodblocks, and these were of major importance in the dissemination of Ukiyoe art in Japan. But i have to say, it looks much finer than most of the Marseille-patterned cards that have come down to us!

Colours: these are glowing and subtle in tone and variation. The palette is huge and brilliant, but not loud.

Facial and bodily expression: while these are fairly stylized, the artist managed to convey different expressions, not only with the faces but the whole body. A little like No Theatre, where every posture and facial expression is archetypal.

If I study the High Priestess, for instance, I see a woman behind a half-open sliding door that reveals a garden landscape, who turns her body away from the edge of the door. She holds a scroll in her left hand to her right breast, as though to keep it lightly from curious eyes. Her head is turning towards the world: she is not the Hermit - she has one ear and one eye in the world, and the other on her knowing mystery. She looks also as though she is waiting, which fits the idea of gestation associated with the High Priestess. She is dressed in a brilliant red undergown over which cascades a floral gown of green and pink. A yellow garment hugs her shoulders. Red is a happy colour in Japan, yellow symbolises both courage and moderation, green is eternal life and pink shows feminity, and particularly purity in a woman. It is obvious this is a beautiful, perfumed woman of some learning, but an enigma as well. What I find most interesting of all is the way the artist has conveyed the archetype of the High Priestess mainly in body language, rather than more elaborate symbolism (assuming most Westerners know next to nothing about Japanese colour symbolism - in fact, I had to do a search for those colours I mentioned ;))

I see this economy of symbolic objects and glyphs throughout the Majors and Courts, replaced by the symbolism of body language and expression, and relationship to the world (or in the cards where there are several people, with each other). Another example I enjoy is the Page of Wands, whose body language conveys cockiness, challenge and deference together, yet all in a highly stylised manner. In this spare and careful use of symbolism, the Ukiyoe pays a clear homage to the Marseille, which uses few object-symbolism, but it does so by using the Japanese heritage - which is an amazing feat, if you thing about it. It also makes the archetypes and the symbols associated to them all the more authoritative.

There are some amusing touches: like on the Hierophant card, where on of the disciples before the Buddhist Master, who is teaching, turns towards his companion - I imagine him whispering something like: "do you understand what he just said? I don't!" or on a grumpy morning - "when do you think the old fart will let us get off and have our breakfasts"? ;)

Cerulean

The High Priestess recalls the New Year's Games

1. Ukiyoe Tarot

http://www.tarot.com/about-tarot/decks/browsedecks.php?newdeck=59

for all pictures.

2. The Hundred Poets Game (will link to scans):

3. I frequently posted about this deck at Comparative ages ago and usually a Kenneth Rexroth selection from a pocketbook of his collected and translated Japanese poems seemed to fit a seasonal or related attribute to the scenes. Since the minors of this deck have some seasonal flower motifs that suggest a season, as Hana Fuda card games do, there's more feel of an elegant symmetry between the culture and the cards.

That is why the Basque Country Tarot by Fournier seemed so pretty to me--flower motifs in the minors. Not as well explained though to me, as the Ukiyoe.

Glad you are enjoying the deck.

Cerulean

Sophie

Thanks Cerulean! I remember you talking about the Hundred Poets Game in another thread (in Deck creation, I think). I'll look it up.

I love Kenneth Roxreth, but never read his translated poems - I will look those up too.

jackdaw*

I see a Ukiyoe is up on eBay right now, at $30 US

aja

I believe this was one of (if not THE) first decks that I ordered shortly after joining here (and trust me, it was more like $15 rather than $30!). And I wanted precisely because of the artwork and because it was faithful to the Marseille imagry. I worked with it last week - only problem that I'm having is because the Minors are somewhat tied to the non-illustrated tradition of the Marseille, I just don't have a feel for them yet. I suppose that if I were more familiar with the Japanese flower tradition that might not be as difficult....Helvetica, Cerulean how have you gotten your head around that?

Cerulean

I found the LWB was good for me in terms of the pips.

The flower cards (Hana Fuda) are really gaming cards, but there's an allegorical tradition of seasonal references in poetry and pictorial arts that overlap....the LWB suggestions work for me in simple readings and the use of birds and insects and plants in the landscape touch on a feeling for me.

At first, it took awhile to related the pip cards to ideas...but when I saw the bird/insect/ flower or plant named in the card... I looked up a refences...now I do a google search...and add my own ideas...

Best regards,

Cerulean