Wildwood Tarot

lark

Le Fanu said:
LOL.. I have to say, I think that Virginia Lee's art has a delicacy and style which would be very suited to a greenwood-inspired deck. I like the Druid Craft, but Id quite got used to the idea of it done in her style...

I know the Druid Craft is earthy and stuff... What I love about the Greenwood is the lack of an explicit human presence in the cards. More animals and deities and strange creatures and stones and the earth. I know I´ll be lambasted, but I don´t really like the style of figure painting in the Druid Craft. I love the ferns unfurling and the water and the skies, but not really the people....
I so agree about the lack of people in the Greenwood that is what I love about it too (not that there aren't any people there are, but they feel more unintusive..is that a word?) and the animals as courts I especially love...well maybe Will will take a good look at the original Greenwood and take a clue and do it in the same style...I liked the other artist Ms. Lee too, but I was getting afraid that the cards might be to cluttered with vines and flowers and do dads.... well beggers can't be choosers..we'll have to wait and see.

Aerin

Sidhe-Ra said:
Heads up peeps! Looks like the artist is Now Will Worthington of Druidcraft fame!

xx

Oh, that would be excellent. I love all the decks he's illustrated - including my first Oracle deck.

Aerin

weaver

Le Fanu said:
LOL.. I have to say, I think that Virginia Lee's art has a delicacy and style which would be very suited to a greenwood-inspired deck. I like the Druid Craft, but Id quite got used to the idea of it done in her style...

I know the Druid Craft is earthy and stuff... What I love about the Greenwood is the lack of an explicit human presence in the cards. More animals and deities and strange creatures and stones and the earth. I know I´ll be lambasted, but I don´t really like the style of figure painting in the Druid Craft. I love the ferns unfurling and the water and the skies, but not really the people....
I agree wholeheartedly with all of the points you make, Le Fanu. Will Worthington is an extremely talented artist and I suppose others here will greet this news with enthusiasm. I am disappointed, though. I do like his color-work, but, for some reason, just don't particularly resonate with the way he portrays people.

Ah well...

Sue

HearthCricket

Sidhe-Ra said:
Heads up peeps! Looks like the artist is Now Will Worthington of Druidcraft fame!

xx

This is exciting news! It will certainly be different from the original Greenwood, but I am excited to see the vision from a new artist on the subject and the detail and animals should be lovely!

lark

I think a great artist to illustrate this deck would be Glennie Kindred.
She wrote Sacred Celebrations and many other books and illustrates them beautifully...her art has just the spirit I would look for in illustrating a new version of the Greenwood.
I think this is an important project and the art needs to be just right..and I don't feel either artist spoken of is right for the project...although both very talented in their own right...just not for this project....but me I'm just a little lark tweeting in the wind. :D

Aerin

Le Fanu said:

Have you ever seen the Druid Animal Oracle? Or the Green Man Tree Oracle, or the Plant Oracle? None of these have people. The Druidcraft is actually my least favourite of his works. I think that the animal work he's done would be brilliant in a Wildwood deck.

http://www.willworthingtonart.co.uk/gallery_110207.html

Aerin

Mimers

I'm one of the fans. I really like his style and can't wait to see what he does with this deck. I think it will be even better this go around!

Looking forward to seeing the outcome anyway.

SolSionnach

I like Worthington's art, but what I read on Ryan's blog made me quite unhappy.
In the meantime, John Matthews and I have been reworking The Greenwood Tarot with a new artist. Originally GWT was called The Wildwood Tarot but that title was considered too racy by the publisher. So! John and I are taking a new look at the system, the totem animals and the symbolic linkages and roots shared with the Native American Indian Medicine Wheel. It’s great working with John and we’re having fun making the ancient connections and esoteric Wildwood Tarot.
The Medicine Wheel? Oh, COME ON. Matthews is a Celtic scholar/Ceremonial Magickian, do we really need his take on the Medicine Wheel? And what does the Medicine Wheel have to do with Pre-Celtic Shamanism?

sheesh. sigh.

I'd much rather have a totem animal deck by Lupa, or MiShell, for crying out loud.

:::grumble:::

jackdaw*

Not knowing any better, I don't much care. I'd just like to see this deck. I like Worthington's work :)

ilweran

lark said:
I think this is an important project and the art needs to be just right..and I don't feel either artist spoken of is right for the project...although both very talented in their own right...just not for this project....but me I'm just a little lark tweeting in the wind. :D

I agree, but have no suggestions as to who would be right. A different look would be a good thing as I see no point in just trying to recreate the original art, but neither artist seems the right one to me.