The De-Enabling Thread

The 78th Fool

Kittaine said:
Gay Tarot

Why I want it: Hot men, nice bodies...oh, and modern theme :D (I need a modern deck since I don't have one yet)

Why I'm hesitating: I just bought about 6 or 7 new decks and I'm struggling to really get to know each of them. And I've also run out of money!

De-enable me, baby! :D

Hi Kittaine,

I don't want to spoil your fun here - but these guys won't do it for you ----- They are all batting in the wrong direction! ( Which is precisely why I have the deck on order!!!)

There ! I've just saved you some money !!!

Chris. xx

Cerulean

Gay and Atlantis

The Gay Tarot is about a beautiful myth...

The reason to not buy the Gay Tarot is that it is a myth that you can have the attention and advice of all the nice, brotherly souls with handsome and fashionable attention....it's a myth if you DON'T live in New York and have the Fab Five giving you credit cards and cleaning out your bathroom and kitchen...(the television show is about five gorgeous men advising you about fashion, food, ideas, dancing, and being your personal shopper to suit your lifestyle)...

The Atlantis is about another beautiful myth and it is unfortunately fascinating...so I'll try to dissuade you...it may be distracting and odd....

And I adore the funnyness...Chalices are all about men and women of all sizes and shapes interacting in a sensual way-- the art is inspired by the Bacchus-related vases and frescos more like the Herculaneum and Pompeii, not than the Greek Palace at Knossis. What I mean is people and shows and books seem to imply areas of Pompeii and Herculeaneum was a sailor port and when the ships came in, zowie, the parties were wilder than in modern times. There are substantial varieties in human form and the implication is this is among equals.

I kind of lean toward liking the Knossis inspiration of the Etruscan Tarot where the art celebrated animals, nature, growth and maturity in an art style more reminiscent of ancient times...but the surprises in the Atlantis is because it is about a mythical allegory, it works for me.

Wands and Pentacles are more about family and relational daily riches and interactions and Swords are about battles and conquest...it is a very balanced tarot and surprisingly rich in mythic allegory---I had to get a used book that addresses some of the unfamiliar elements raised in the LWB of the Atlantis Medeterranean myth. You may not like the strong fantasy element that is unexplained.

Cerulean

fyreflye

All tarot decks are about a beautiful myth - the myth that tarot decks are actually useful for something.

WolfSpirit

Greenwood

To begin with, you want a deck you can use wholeheartedly, not one you have to be extremely careful with because you may never be able to replace it. Decks are meant to be used, not put away in a safe place.

Further, there is some irritating renaming and renumbering going on in the majors. Sure, the artwork is good, but then the artwork in the minors is totally different. Makes the deck not very consistent. The book that comes with the deck does not explain the card meanings well.

Hopes this helps ;)

Cerulean

Sorry, another reason Atlantis is not good

Not for reading with others who are too literal or live in coastside areas...especially since it is hurricane season in many areas of the U.S. I would not read this to those in Hawaii or in major storm areas right now. It would be upsetting.

Death shows death and sorrow.

The Tower is a tidal wave.

Lee

CharmingPixie said:
Ok, I have another one, and its a challenge.....a deck that could cause me to part with hundreds of pounds that I don't have should I ever come across it.......the greenwood!
Well, how about this: the Greenwood is a wonderful deck if you like your Death and Devil cards to be illustrated with animal skeletons with rotted flesh hanging off them. Very high "ewww" factor.

I bought this deck back when it was available in bookstores, and traded it away a few weeks later.

-- Lee

baba-prague

Re: Greenwood

WolfSpirit said:
Sure, the artwork is good, but then the artwork in the minors is totally different. Makes the deck not very consistent.

Yes, I'd go along with that (not that I'm about to trade away my Greenwood). I came up with this for the Thomson-Leng. Sure it's interesting, historic and has some very interesting card interpretations - but the artwork is quite crude and the colours look awful.

I keep telling myself that as I see it vanish at unaffordable prices on ebay :)

janstar17

Lee said:
Well, how about this: the Greenwood is a wonderful deck if you like your Death and Devil cards to be illustrated with animal skeletons with rotted flesh hanging off them. Very high "ewww" factor.

-- Lee

I'm not very familiar with the Greenwood other than the fact that it seems to be such a hot item right now...but, Lee, if it was on my wishlist, your comments would have me grabbing for an erasor!! So thanks for heading off any possible 'gee, i should have this if everyone else wants it!' attack that might have been in my future!! LOL

Eco74

Myriantha said:

Plus, both decks are on sale at Amazon.

Well there you have it.
BOTH decks are on SALE... Sale means they're rejects.
Buying them would be the equivalent of paying for the "pleasure" of digging through someones garbage AND taking care of the crap so they don't have to spend any money on garbage disposal...

Not only would you be making a complete mockery of yourself and be left with no pride. You'd be putting honest working men out of jobs!!

How's THAT for de-enabling... ;)

VGimlet

Okay, let's see if anyone can de-enable me on a few of the latest additions to my wanted list.

Tarot of Lombardy, and the Dotti - I was looking at Marseille style decks, and both of these intrigued me. I like the expressions on the people in the Lombardy tarot, and the Dotti is so beautiful...but I am just starting my Marseille studies, and I already have the LS Conver.

The Gilded tarot has also been recently added to my list.