The Wild Unknown Tarot - IV Cups

Kissa

I love Ildrinn's take on this card. It was at the bottom of the deck today as I put it back in the box. My card for the day was the VIII of Wands but simultaneously, emotionally, I am not ok, recovering from a heartbreak and what I see as betrayal from a couple of friends. 4 is about stability, I am getting better but the sun ain't shining yet.

Crowlove

This interpretation spoke to me as the message I was meant to receive.

At the back of this card from the bottom, intense darkness sweeps up consuming any light, until just over half way up when the light starts to penetrate the darkness to reveal in the top quarter the light, centred in the middle of which looks like the waxing gibbous the phase after the full moon. I love the romance of the full moon, so this phase speaks to me of the honeymoon period been over. Across the bottom of the card shroud in darkness four glasses/goblets, stand in a row, invoking the need for stability and grounding.
Across the top of glasses/goblets lay a rodent, its placement has its mouth that could dribble into the first glass/goblet and toilet in the last. Contact with its body is made along the top of all four glasses/goblets. Eating or drinking, food or water contaminated with rodent urine or droppings can cause bacteria and disease. Although not always some bacteria’s and diseases are caught through contact. With the above in mind there is a general unwell feeling from this card, whether lethargic, or due to food poisoning, flu, sickness, or a contact disease etc…
The continual growth of the rodent incisors are, kept under control by constantly gnawing. This brings to mind something that is eating at the emotions or causing an irritation.

I asked The Wild Unknown Tarot deck what I could learn from it. I first pulled the 8 of cups which I interpreted as "picking up the pieces & moving on" then I asked for clarification & pulled the 4 of cups. I was confused but now, after reading crystalwings interpretation, I feel like, perhaps it's saying that I will learn to deal with the root of the issue hindering me from better grounding. This deck is not easy for me, & frankly some cards, like the 8 of cups & 4 of cups, hit me strait on as being dark. I would like to be able to except that initial feeling but also to move past it & be able to fully embrace the message in it's entirety. It's a journey!
p.s. I'm not sure if I'm posting this correctly! I'm brand new to this forum so my apologies if not.

Skillette

I like your interpretations, Lark & Sulus! Did you post about this in the study group yet? I'll go check. Thanks!

Is there a study group for this deck or is it a general group? Where can I find it? I'd love to join! :)

Sulis

This is the study group for this deck :)
There's an index thread at the top that'll take you to all of the threads.

danieljuk

The Crescent Moon at the top is throwing out so much light to the darkness below but the Crescent Moon isn't that bright, it's not the illumination of the Full Moon. I wonder if that represents spirituality or a sense of being looked after from the universe above (whatever your personal beliefs). This card also might have a special meaning for Wiccan / Pagan folk with the Crescent Moon providing light. The light doesn't entirely reach the Cups at the bottom of the card.

Like Lark I also take the Lenormand type idea about the Mouse / Rat, nibbling way. I always see the Lenormand version like if you ever have experienced actual Mice / Rats/ Bugs in your home. It's not the biggest problem but it gradually and gradually annoys you more and more as they destroy more things in your home, "niggling", yet constant. This happened to me years ago and I refused to harm the Mice, I wanted humane traps only. They were useless and after they destroyed a cupboard with bags of spices, I lost my compassion for them :D I think it might be a Rat in the picture because it's larger. I also like Crystalwings idea about the rat could contaminate those cups and make someone very ill. It makes them poisoned chalices.

I see this card as someone who has everything they need in life, they have full cups of emotional contentment and they have blessings and light trying to reach them from the Crescent Moon above. But yet they are not happy or contented. They leave the Cups out for Rats to walk across. In Kim's further text on this she talks about how other people might see you (or the person this card is for). They might think you have everything; luxury, pleasures, supportive relationships and let you leave them for the Rats to nibble away and destroy. This is about taking things for granted, those 4 Cups are there and yet the person pushes them away. If you push a loved one away enough, it nibbles and nibbles away at the emotional bond until there is nothing left, perhaps it might even turn poisonous. It's not too late, the person just has to realise this! Look at the great things you do have :)

EarthSky

This is my first post on the website. 😊 I started studying tarot 2 months ago with a traditional RW deck. I am not yet very knowledgeable. I love the artwork and symbology of the WU deck so I am going thru each card to get my own interpretation before reading the artist's notes and those on the forum. This card brought up associations similar to what Sulis wrote.

I saw a rat, the sign in Chinese calendar to mean an intelligent creature. Sulis, curious also fit into my interpretation. I saw "4 and cups" as representing the stable foundation of friendship. The cups although upright, are shrouded in darkness and night.

Putting it all together, I saw the need for a thoughtful look at the friendships already established, perhaps to discover what is good, what is worth developing, what to be grateful for.

This is my first look and not sure if I will see the card differently in a reading.