What are the not so obvious lessons of tarot?

MissNine

Here's one I forgot....Good answers comes down to asking the tarot good questions. I stay away from yes/no. If tarot were meant fir that, there'd be YES abd NO cards in my deck.

NightVision

That often the most hardened cynics can become the most enthusiastic querents.

I think this is because there are so many misconceptions about the tarot and the way its portrayed in film and media people expect a one dimensional experience, but when the reading narrative starts they realise something much deeper is going on.

cSpaceDiva

That it listens. It is paying attention.

It's hard to describe without giving specific examples, but sometimes the things it shows me are so specific and relevant it is astonishing.

seedcake

When you understand that Tarot can really work, you stop asking why it's like that. I got this feeling when I was asked to describe why I give it so much power and claim that I have effects. At first attempt, I was thinking and thinking without results. I decided to leave Tarot working how it is, no more looking for "why" and "how". There are things in our lives (it doesn't only apply to divination but also to everyday events ) that we need to just make happen, without overthinking.

Farzon

That sometimes you'll get answers to questions that concerned you far more than the one you asked.

Tarot can redefine the topic of the question itself.

Moonbow

Use as many cards as you need to keep the dialogue going. It's about the client, you don't 'have' to stick to the spread meanings.

seedcake

That sometimes you'll get answers to questions that concerned you far more than the one you asked.

Tarot can redefine the topic of the question itself.

Definitely, my second the most important lesson.

celticnoodle

As Nisaba said, "trust". Also as Daniel said too, that it opens you up to far more spiritual possibilities. It is the start for many peoples spiritual journey.

I hope I can say this correctly--as I know how I want to explain it--but not sure it will come out right here in the post.

I do believe that the tarot is still just a tool. I think the answers are really inside of ourselves, but that many people lack the ability to trust and have faith in themselves to find the answers to the problems and the questions they have in their lives. But, when they can put that trust and faith in the cards (or other divination tools too), they are able to finally see it and to move forward.

Sometimes we think we are prepared and we're not. However, not everything in life--including the hardships we face and are predicted by the tarot is meant to be avoided. It all has purpose in our growth.

Like Daniel, the cards have given me advanced warnings when rough times were coming my way and also predicted beautiful and wonderful times to come. My future b.f. and to be husband was predicted, as was the birth of our daughter, our major moves and travels, job changes and the grandbabies. Everything in life that has been very important to me/us. It has also forewarned me of the tragedies that were coming our way. Some that I was able to avoid and others that still caught me off guard.

Tarot has been in my life all my life, really. Offering at times advanced notice to prepare me for what was coming to a certain degree. Even if I was not able to avoid the hardships it predicted, those hardships helped me along on my spiritual journey as well as the good things it predicted. A spiritual journey that is never ending. And, it all started with a deck of cards. :)

Pam O

For those who don't have faith, or expect the Tarot to give debunk answers, it will. If a person believes the Tarot is not to be trusted, or it simply a parlor trick, the Tarot is so powerful that it will live up to that person's expectations to re-enforce those expectations. It will show examples of that person's current beliefs, and pictures. The Tarot mirrors the sitter's state of mind right here, in the right now.

On the other hand, if a person has an open mind to see the cards as an opportunity to expose patterns, and IF someone chooses to see opportunities the Tarot is revealing, and IF free will is used to make adjustments to outdated beliefs, etc, a person can have the opportunity to be blown away with the amazing power of the Tarot. Anyone can choose to "change your mind, and change your world" by adjusting to lessons within the cards.

There are many who believe that a deck of cards is not run by "spirits". Instead Tarot is simply a mirror of of your world, reflected back to you in symbolism. You have the choice to look at that symbolism and explore messages that your intuition helps you see, and decipher as a reader, or as a querent.

The Tarot show you examples of what your patterns and beliefs are right here, right now. It shows you what is going on right now, at the moment the cards are pulled. If you change your mind (and actions) right now, your cards will change to reflect that by reflecting your new state of 'now'.

ETA: There are many who believe, if a reading is not accurate, it is not the cards, but instead, the way the cards ended up being read. There is also a theory that the "Future" position, is actually "Probable Future" since there is always free will to change current beliefs, patterns, etc.
Also, since readers are human, there is no such thing as 100% perfect... :)

trzes

For those who don't have faith, and expect the Tarot to give debunk answers, it will.

Well, I am sure Nineveh didn't expect debunk answers from tarot in the first place. While my take on tarot is less harsh than that of Nineveh, there is one lesson for me not only about tarot but about whatever we try in life: Never have blind faith in anything!

Ok, that's rather obvious. A less obvious experience that I really find remarkable comes from my ocasional readings I did for others and not for myself only. Most times I read for others it have been the querents who actually did the readings. I laid the spread and told a story, but they somehow gave the directions and guided me, whithout even realizing it themselves (I guess). And it worked. I got applause for something I didn't feel I had added much to. Amazing.