Better living without Tarot..?

Ace of Stars

I woke up this morning feeling fine; great even.

Got my Card of the Day: Three of Swords. Pulled my daily Lenormand combo: heart + clouds.

Now, though I was determined not to let my cards sway my emotions, I'm feeling blue.

The cards were right?

Self-fulfilling prophecy?

What say you?

twilight_dusk

I'd say you freaked yourself out with that one. its very eerie

dancing_moon

Emotions and moods are too unstable things to be shown by the cards. Unless one is enlightened, one'll probably feel happy, sad, annoyed, delighted etc. at some point every single day. The cards will show a concrete event or a predominant mood, most likely. And neither 3 of Swords nor Heart+Clouds necessarily mean a major heartwreck.

Just live your day as usual and come back to the cards tomorrow to see how they played out. :)

danieljuk

why not pull the cards at the end of the day? as a "review" rather than a "prediction"?

I have done a daily card for years and do look at the beginning of the day (naughty!) but I try to not react to it! see how it manifests. It's also changed my idea about negative and positive definite cards! I had an awful day last week and it was the ten of cups. I had the most wonderful day about 6 months ago and it was the tower! Both those cards were spot on! tarot and other divination are so complex in their message! look at how it manifests with an open mind :)

Carla

There's no reason to do any type of daily reading. You can enjoy tarot daily by studying tarot iconography and the systems that have been linked to tarot (numerology, astrology, etc), and save readings for when you feel actually need them.

Or you could turn your daily draw from a reading to a daily study card. It doesn't have to have any bearing on the events of your day.

ana luisa

I would say that the cards were just being ironic/facetious, telling you that YOU make your day and not them.

BodhiSeed

YOU make your day and not them.
I agree with Ana; I see the cards as a tool to help not hurt me. If I pulled the Three of Swords, I would think: "I need to take care not to say something hurtful today." If I drew the Lenormand Heart/Clouds combination, I would think: "What is something positive/fun I could do instead of pining over something or someone?"
I firmly believe the cards are not in charge of my life; I am through the choices I make.

Eremita90

I agree with Carla on the idea of a daily card for study. I've never had a good relationship with daily draws, either at the beginning or at the end of the day. I personally think that one of the main factors in determining what a card means at a given moment is the question you ask (after all, "it's a tree" is not an answer, unless "What is that?" has been asked). Ok, "what will happen today?" is a question, but it's sooo broad, and it assumes that something worth noting will happen that day... maybe nothing particularly important will happen, and the Three of Swords stands just for "Oh, between 4 and 5 pm you won't be able to find the remote". The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that a card for a day is way too much (and at the same time, too less), most of the times. I remember that when I moved to Ireland I got the World card for two days in a row before moving, and the Fool card for four days in a row after moving. Pretty clear picture, but something really big was happening, and it may or may not be true that every day can teach us something, but I think it's clearly not true that every day is worth a tarot card describing it. Of course that's just me: there are tons of people who are fine with their daily draws :)

So yeah, I study one card every day. Another thing I do is my daily "transformation" card. Since I consider tarot a sort of map of world, I ask it for direction on what I should change about myself next, or what part of myself I should take care of, and it's quite sure that there will always be something one needs to change about him/herself :D Depending on how hard it is to do it, sometimes I just draw a card for the entire week.

cSpaceDiva

One thing I constantly have to remind myself when if I do daily draws (or sometimes I do 7 cards to represent the week) is that it is just for that day. If you are accustomed to doing readings on grand topics like career and relationships and what direction is my life heading, then the cards represent grand ideas. When you are doing everyday readings, the cards represent everyday things. 3 of Swords? I should work on that sewing project (pin cushion). Devil? Stuck in traffic. Hermit? Need to change a lightbulb.

Just try to keep in mind that the card you drew today is not representing a major event to unfold over the next 6 months. It represents today. Tomorrow you will be over it.

Zedrex

Daily draws are like checking your horoscope. Statistically you're gonna get a negative one every now and then, and it has to be that way to appear meaningful.

Personally, I don't understand the habit. There's no real understanding to be gained that I can see, and it appears to increase nothing except one's own inclination to be superstitious.