Better living without Tarot..?

jolie_amethyst

One thing I constantly have to remind myself when if I do daily draws (or sometimes I do 7 cards to represent the week) is that it is just for that day. If you are accustomed to doing readings on grand topics like career and relationships and what direction is my life heading, then the cards represent grand ideas. When you are doing everyday readings, the cards represent everyday things. 3 of Swords? I should work on that sewing project (pin cushion). Devil? Stuck in traffic. Hermit? Need to change a lightbulb.

Just try to keep in mind that the card you drew today is not representing a major event to unfold over the next 6 months. It represents today. Tomorrow you will be over it.

This. Daily single card draws taught me not to fear certain cards--and not to put great stock in supposedly positive ones either. It's taught me more detachment than regular readings have, because so often, something like the 3/Swords turns out to be small & transient in the grand scheme of things. It's been teaching me greater discipline over my emotional reactions. I get the 10/Swords in a daily draw, and I know immediately the message--"OK, jolie, something's likely up today that will trigger your inner drama queen. You've been warned to watch for it, now remember to temper your response, because you know that overreacting behavior won't solve anything."

I draw daily from three decks (2 Tarot, 1 Oracle), and that too has been useful. Yes, there are days when the three all reinforce one another, and I'll know to give more weight to that event when it happens, or that it will be a bit "bigger" influence in my day. At that point, I might choose to draw more cards to see what they have to say. But most of the time, one Tarot will point out an event, the next will give me either another small occurrence or an approach to take with the first or a person who can help, and the oracle gives me a longer term perspective on the day's events to keep in mind. As a novice, it's been an outstanding learning tool.

Note: if you deal with generalized anxiety or chronic depression, I definitely recommend reading daily cards at night, or not at all. You can definitely make both those conditions worse until you learn to practice detachment and not automatically fear "bad" cards.

tealxlust

I would say self-fulling prophecy. Pre-knowledge is a powerful thing, and this is one thing about the tarot that makes it not so great because we open up ourselves to pre-knowledge and forced to walk on only one path.

I also say self-fulling prophecy because, as human beings, we often take bad events more seriously than good ones. We often doubt the good signs more than the bad ones. It's a kind like reverse psychology on ourselves! Haha.

We try not to hold our breath for good signs coming from the tarot because we're afraid that it might not come true, so then the blow won't be as bad. For bad signs coming from the tarot, we hold our breath because we don't want it to happen, but subconsciously, the more we think it, the it becomes true in the end.

Tarot of the days is kind of like fate of the day. Fate is a really powerful thing and you can hardly ever change it once you know. I don't do tarot of the day because of this very reason. I would rather create my own paths instead letting fate decide for me. I like living my days to come with mystery and no forewarning because that's not how you live life. You live life with experience.

Rosewater

My morning daily draws are for study, not divination. This is the intention I set from the start. Without any ceremony I pick a card and write down my immediate thoughts about it, and if there's time I compare the meanings given in a couple of books. The aim is to deepen my understanding of each card without getting personally involved - if that makes sense. :).

However, if I'm looking for personal insight, I do a separate reading for myself.

nisaba

I woke up this morning feeling fine; great even.

Got my Card of the Day: Three of Swords. Pulled my daily Lenormand combo: heart + clouds.

Now, though I was determined not to let my cards sway my emotions, I'm feeling blue.

The cards were right?

Self-fulfilling prophecy?

What say you?

Enjoy your life. If you woke up feeling grand, continue to feel grand. Perhaps someone you care about is feeling blue, and would be greatly cheered up by seeing you all smiles and enthusiasm.

3ill.yazi

I stopped looking at daily readings as predictive, because it feels superstitious and started to stress me out. Better to do daily study games to learn the cards.

Inana

Was it a rainy day or just cloudy in therms of weather? It happened to me sometimes that 3 of swords just meant rain.

I don't like daily readings and stopped doing them years ago. If you feel this kind of readings are afecting your mood, is better to stop then. Just pull a card to reflect upon the day at night (as someone else has suggested) or limit yourself to readings with specific questions.

OaksWhispering

I think daily tarot drawings are best used for advice. Sometimes I end up needing to apply it, sometimes not. It is almost like an oracle when doing daily readings because it will give something to consider.
It doesn't end up predicting my day, or at least not my emotions, as I am always in control of my perspective, which affects my emotions.
So if I pull the Fool in the morning, I would take it as advice to remember that a new day means that I can start fresh, have a clean slate, and be open to opportunities of they should come my way. Taking the reading that way would give me a positive perspective so that I would start to notice the potential of a new day.

Pulling three of swords, I would be mindful to not take things personally, and to be kind to myself and take it easy.