Flonz Victorian Lenormand

baylys

We got off lightly. No damage at all, and the wind wasn't even crazy. Only about 65knots (120kph), which around here is not unusual. No rain even (which is VERY unusual).

greatdane

Am counting the days for the next Flonz!

OK I know there is no definite date or anything, but figure with any luck at least this year sometime. And I will need TWO! AND OH BTW, HAPPPY BIRTHDAY, KAT! :)))) There's a party in Chat Parties.

tarot heart

Hi baylys! I'm a little late to the party here. I just had to let you know how much I am still loving the Flonz! It's now a favorite! I am looking forward to a mini of it when it becomes available.

I am so glad you are going with GameCrafter instead of PrinterStudio. I don't like the so called
"linen" finish on their cards. I heard that there is another finish available that is sturdier and waterproof but I haven't seen one of those yet.

I don't think cardstock matters as much with mini decks. I have several decks from PrinterStudio and I really hate them. I always request the smooth finish otherwise that linen texture takes away from the sharpness of the picture. Of course opinions will vary but that is mine. :)

In any case, I am sorry to hear you will have to start all over? Can that really be the only way to go? I hope not. Here's hoping that you find a solution that will be easier for you!

For those of you who haven't got your hands on one of these decks just hold on to your hats because this is one worth waiting for. :)

greatdane

So true, Tarot Heart!

I LOVE the FLONZ! It's just perfection. I will be getting two of the bridge size, I'm sure. This deck looks so cohesive, no mixed media here!, and the calligraphy Kat did, JUST amazing. It so just looks like an old deck and not a manufactured, pretend old deck. I haven't done the edges in distressed ink yet, but I am going to.

If I could only keep a few Lenormands, and I now have quite a few now, THIS would definitely have to be one of the keepers.

baylys

Hey folks.

Some of you have reported that the laminate on your cards is peeling.

I have spoken to the print company and the printer is saying the only way that would have happened is through moisture getting in. HOW do you explain to a non-reader about the care people take with their cards? *cue me bashing my head against a brick wall*

He wants me to send back the faulty decks so he can investigate. I explained that the decks are spread out across the world and it would take some time. I got him to agree to photos to start with.

So, for those of you with peeling decks, if possible, could you please take photos of the worst cards and either PM or email them to me so I can forward them on to the printer. Can you also tell me if you have edge treated the decks, as I guess that counts as moisture ingress. Oh, and how much you use the cards, as he told me it would stand up to heavy wear. And how you shuffle... I think that's it lol.

Then, I am going to work head down, tush up to get the bridge edition of the Flonz complete.

If necessary, some of the decks may need to be sent back to me (don't worry, I'll cover postage), and I will make sure the printer replaces the decks.

And as compensation, for those decks that need to be sent back, I will also recompense you with a copy of the bridge and mini Flonz as a small gesture of apology.

I am so sorry that this has happened.

greatdane

not necessary for me, Baylys

I just peeled some of the coating off, filed it even more and am now going to ink the edges (which I probably should have done from the beginning). So if I sent back, he would just see where I pulled off the peeled bits. I'm hoping mine will look even more "vintage" after doing the edges and hopefully some of the ink will kind of bleed over to where there is just paper now.

So no need to do anything for me, Baylys.

baylys

But the point for me is that this should not have happened. Can you take a photo of it now so I can explain to the printer that you have had to sand it back?

greatdane

I can try, Baylys

The problem is you can feel it easier than see it because the color tones are pretty much the same and I have smoothed it down. In person, it's very obvious. I know someone who may be able to catch it in a pic though if that's what you wish.

ladybird

I'm sorry to read about people's decks peeling back, baylys. I'm not seeing any evidence of this peeling problem on my deck. I did an edge treatment on them too. I use them gently since it's my only copy of the deck.

I could see how moisture could cause this to happen but mine has the edges colored with the water based ink by Tim Holtz. I live in the Pacific NW which is rainy but maybe still not as humid as other parts of the States. Are there people whose cards are doing this whether they colored their edges or not?

Thought that I'd let you know how my copy is fairing. Interesting that mine hasn't had the issue (yet?). If it is a moisture problem maybe it is because it isn't as humid here?

greatdane

I'm thinking the edging may help, Ladybird

I wish I had edged mine before, when I first got it. Perhaps had I just filed the corners upon receiving it, but didn't know then what would happen, it wasn't peeling at first, and then inked it, maybe mine would have never peeled at all.

I'm in Kansas. My attic loft has central ac and it isn't as humid as many states. I filed down my corners that were peeling and thought that would do it, but then the middles starting peeling and couldn't just file them back, so gently pulled back some of the coating, THEN filed and I now plan on edging and hoping that will just bleed into the papery sides where I pulled the peeling back. I think it will give it more of a vintage edge :).

I will be glad when the bridge size is out as then I will use my original Flonz less although now I am not using it at all til I edge it. Awaiting the Antique Linen ink pad.....

But perhaps there are pluses and minues to a lot of card stock? Some of the most durable can smell like chemicals, not always, but sometimes. Perhaps the buttery soft coating on the Flonz wasn't quite as durable as some, doesn't make it any less beautiful or unique. Printers, unless they're experts in deck stock, likely don't get what a deck may or may not go through.