Why Does everyone think Crowley was a Satanist

Keldor

I was reading up various things today and read that there is a Satanic group that claims to have thelemic philosophy based on Crowley's teachings. Now I know that he was not a Satanist but why does everyone beleieve that hype, I mean to me (and I'm not even a Thelemite, but still it angers me) if you beleieve that, than you should be beleive in Batboy or that Osama is a dwarf, or Saddam had a giant slingshot that fired dinosaurs. It just amazes me that this nonsense continues to be beleieved, if anyone has any insight on this pheanomena, please enlighten me?

Debra

Because although technically not a Satanist, he was close enough for jazz.

tantricknite

Crowley

There are some religonists who believe that tarot is Satanic and of the devil !!! As far as Crowley goes even though he wasn't a Satanist he didn't mind being thought of as a black magician.Those that new him knew he didn't practice the black arts.But He liked controversy and that humored him.He had a lot of contempt for people with small narrow minds.So if these people saw him as pure evil it must of been just halarious to him.

Keldor

True, I guess some people do have narrow minds and think that, popular culture hasn't helped either, they think just because they don't fit the norms, they have to be satanic (Templars, Freemasons, etc). Well, all I can say is Ce le Vie, and remember that I know better.

Abrac

Keldor said:
Now I know that he was not a Satanist but why does everyone beleieve that hype
Probably because of his strong opposition to Christianity. That doesn't automatically make a person a Satanist, but in the minds of some, anything that opposes Christianity comes from Satan. Not to mention the fact that Crowley liberally applied Satanic imagery from the book of Revelation to himself and his teaching.

Keldor

the images that Crowley used had little do with Satan (Babylon refers to Rome as does the beast, but some Evangellical groups beleieve revealtion is a prophecy and not what it truly it a disguised attack of Rome). Just some food for thought, the plymouth bretheren was one of these groups who emphasized beleif in the Millennium. Even 666 doesn't refer to the Devil, but Nero, just thought I'd share that with you

Rosanne

Keldor- go search through the Thoth Forum threads :D :D ~Rosanne

Sinduction

I was going to say "because people are stupid." But that seemed harsh.

Instead I will say it's because most people have no idea what Satanism really is. They only know what the Christian based religions have told them it is. It has become an all-encompassing evil religion where Satanists sacrifice babies, have orgies, and bow down before Satan. It's sad really because I actually think Satanism has a few good points. But then, I have actually studied it.

Anything dark, unknown, and against the norm is up for grabs to be labeled Satanic.

I think it's hilarious when people think I'm a Satanist and I'll bet he loved it!

Goat of Mendes

Sinduction said:
I was going to say "because people are stupid." But that seemed harsh.
It's still true though. :laugh: