Where do I start?

farmergiles

I suppose in the end I'm interested in personal growth and fortune telling when it comes to Tarot. I don't mind the history as well but its not the first priority. One or two friends do have interests in mind/body/spirit related activities so they'd appreciate the odd reading, but primarily I'd use it for my own growth, prospects and decision making. Should also be quite relaxing as well as a stress reliver.

As for decks, well my other hobbies and interests tend to relate to sci-fi and fantasy. From the decks I've seen online, ones that feature fantasy related metaphors - druids, dragons, spirits, the 5 elements etc seem to stand out more.

Theres apparently a local shop that sells decks, etc so I hope to visit them next weekend to have a browse around. I'd rather not buy a deck online as I can't see the cards themselves.

Manda

It sounds like you want Tarot For Yourself by Mary K. Greer. That is a great book for learning how to use the tarot for personal insight.

As has already been said, I would advise picking one of the "big three" (Rider Waite Smith, Thoth, or Tarot de Marseilles) and running with it. One of the things I have noticed is that many seem to start with a love for RWS, eventually cultivating an appreciation for TdM, and then going all in with the Thoth. You may do things completely differently, though.

For learning, I wish I had known to just get a notebook and think about the images I saw, and record my thoughts there. I spent so much time trying to learn every meaning in every book, because I thought I had to, and when tarot finally clicked for me, I just had to unlearn most of that, haha, so that my intuitive side could take over.

I am so excited for you!!!

Sinduction

Manda said:
For learning, I wish I had known to just get a notebook and think about the images I saw, and record my thoughts there. I spent so much time trying to learn every meaning in every book, because I thought I had to, and when tarot finally clicked for me, I just had to unlearn most of that, haha, so that my intuitive side could take over.
Just what I was going to suggest.

Go to a store, buy a spiral bound notebook. That's the only book you need.

As long as you have a deck that speaks to you, that's all you need.

And I have read a lot of tarot books.

Deck, notebook, lots of pens or pencils and you're ready to go. :D

Jewel

farmergiles said:
I suppose in the end I'm interested in personal growth and fortune telling when it comes to Tarot. I don't mind the history as well but its not the first priority. One or two friends do have interests in mind/body/spirit related activities so they'd appreciate the odd reading, but primarily I'd use it for my own growth, prospects and decision making. Should also be quite relaxing as well as a stress reliver.

As for decks, well my other hobbies and interests tend to relate to sci-fi and fantasy. From the decks I've seen online, ones that feature fantasy related metaphors - druids, dragons, spirits, the 5 elements etc seem to stand out more.
Based on the interests you have expressed I would recommend looking at the Fey Tarot by Lo Scarabeo. Do not let the pink borders fool you, this deck is not "fluffy". I have found it to be very solid, and it veers away from the esoteric symbolism, but the images convey the meanings of the cards. This deck comes as a deck only or as a kit, I would recommend the kit if you can get it. As for a good beginners book, I would highly recommend Mary Greer's 21 Ways to Read A Tarot card. It will not only teach you how to read the cards, it will take you on a spiritual journey, and will help you gain confidence in your own intuition from the get go.

Good luck!

Greg Stanton

I think beginners are best with "The Absolute Beginner's Guide to Tarot" and "Tarot Tells the Tale." The first gives good general information, and the second illustrates how readings are actually done (as opposed to just giving card meanings).

As for decks, a good RWS-based deck is good for all beginners. When you are comfortable giving readings with one of these, you can move on to something more historical, or something more radical, as you wish.

farmergiles

Some interesting books there, particuarly that Tarot Tells The Tale one, to get tips regarding readings.

One thing I did notice is some books require the use of drawing. Now keeping a journal is one thing, but if possible I'd like to avoid the need to necessity to have to draw pictures, etc as Art is really not my forte! :p

Tarot for Yourself by Mary Greer looked interesting from the description and sample pages I've seen. Anyone with experience in this book?

gregory

farmergiles said:
Some interesting books there, particuarly that Tarot Tells The Tale one, to get tips regarding readings.

One thing I did notice is some books require the use of drawing. Now keeping a journal is one thing, but if possible I'd like to avoid the need to necessity to have to draw pictures, etc as Art is really not my forte! :p
No book holds the law. (Not least because there IS no right and wrong here !) If you don't want to draw, don't. I have read a lot of these books and that just shows.... I never actually NOTICED the suggestion of drawing. Presumably because my deepest instincts told me there was no point to reading that bit }).

UNLESS - you are simply misunderstanding "drawing" - as in drawing cards to read with them. Pulling them from the deck :D

farmergiles

Lol, no I actually did mean drawing as in with pictures! :p There was a review that mentioned its use in the 21 ways somewhere. Handy that I don't need it.

Saw another book. The 2 Hour Tarot. This makes me worry slightly considering how complicated the Tarot is! :p

From reviews by Jane Boyer and other books I've looked it, the two most popular (as well as interesting for me) look like "The Absolute Beginners Guide to Tarot" and "Tarot Tells the Tale".

gregory

farmergiles said:
Lol, no I actually did mean drawing as in with pictures! :p There was a review that mentioned its use in the 21 ways somewhere. Handy that I don't need it.

Saw another book. The 2 Hour Tarot. This makes me worry slightly considering how complicated the Tarot is! :p
I have one somewhere called Tarot in 10 Minutes.... I bought it for a laugh. I'm not laughing, and don't buy it :mad:

Cactus Dahlia

From my experience I would advise that you start with one of the Rider Waite decks. I started with a deck that wasn't suitable for a learner and didn't make much progress for years. I then got a Rider Waite deck and have never looked back.

The Rider Waite decks have a lot of detail to help you and there is heaps of information on line about the Rider Waite to help you interpret each card.

A few months after getting my Universal Waite deck I found the deck that "sang" to me. I love my new deck, but I still go back to my Rider Waite deck again and again.

It's a great learning deck and I believe an excellent place to start.

Hope this helps. :)

Cactus Dahlia