Where do I start?

gregory

Also - join a reading circle here (I am heavily prejudiced in favour of the ISG....) Reading is the fastest way to learn - but DON'T start with the Celtic Cross; try single cards to start....

farmergiles

Reading Circle? Is that a bit like a book discussion group?

Rider Waite did take a fancy, I take it anything based on it will be fine though as opposed to the standard RW? I.e. take that Fey Tarot for instance, its based on RW is it not?

I think one of the books I mentioned or has been mentioned uses 3 card spreads as well, I think obviously yes 1 or 3 cards is easier for me to learn as the booklet that came with my old Starter Tarot set had the full cross with the 4 cards along the side..........I forget what the term for it was. Despite the meanings been printed on the cards, I found trying to come up with a story for that many cards dam near impossible.

gregory

Not really. Have a look.

You sign up to one that suits you, and exchange readings with people. There is a newbies one up there. And I am with the ISG - and another one using erotic decks, but unless you have one..... })

ETA - you need 25 posts to qualify. Get to work.....

And yes, the Fey is an RWS clone; so is my favoured deck, the Baroque Bohemian Cats - but if you don't love cats.....

farmergiles

I remember seeing a Dragon one, which looked really gorgeous in terms of Artwork. Plus I have a friend who would adore a reading as he loves dragons too. Books I'll buy on Amazon as I got a birthday gift certificate (probably the two I mentioned). As for cards and storage I'll wait till Saturday and pop into a local divination shop to look at them personally.

Lol 25 posts ain't hard, but obviously I'm not a full subscriber to the forum so we'll see on that.

gregory

Dragons - look at the cards section here.

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/dragons.shtml

I have seen the Nigel Suckling one in BookWorld and such like, ridiculously discounted. An on line store that will be good for YOU is tarotchest.co.uk; postage is included in the price and the service is second to none - though she seems to be short of dragons just now !

If you ever get to London there are Watkins and Mysteries; both are sure to have something you like !

nisaba

farmergiles said:
I'd rather not buy a deck online as I can't see the cards themselves.
I have the opposite problem: I've almost given up buying in shops because the decks are sealed and hte only artwork you see is what's reproduced on the packaging (which is, of course, the most attractive cards in the deck) whereas my favourite online retailer at the Tarotgarden, keep six images online from each deck chosen not from the "best" or "worst" of the cards, but representing pips, courts and Majors. So I get to see more online and form my own ideas about the deck.

That being said, this is not an advertisement for them - probably other online shops do the same thing - and they're not paying me. HEY! there's an idea!

gregory

taroteca shows all the cards from ZILLIONS of decks.....
And yes - the package can be deceptive; That's why I own the Power Animal deck.... :( The worst deck there IS, even as cheap as when I bought it !

farmergiles

You have a point about the sealed deck thing. Didn't consider that. My connection to the deck won't be any different online or in the shops. I'll check those two sites though thanks. Going to order that Beginner Tarot book tonight as well. I'll pass on the other one for the time being, start off slow without getting too bogged down in reading, I already got study books to read! :p

septemberwitch

Hello

Hi, I still consider myself a novice but with a decent basic understanding of the cards. My first deck was given to my mother from a friend and she in turn gave it to me. I think I was about 12. I still have it and it was a rider waite deck of course. I never really did much with it until about 8 years ago. I will go in spurts with learning tarot. I will read and study and then not touch the cards for months, or at least that's what I did in the beginning. I have read lots both in books and online. I have found that the book definitions are a good place to start but shouldn't really take the place of what your own intuition is telling you. So the person that mentions the notebook and lots of pens, I would have to agree. Look at the cards feel them. Pull one every day, look up the meaning but not until you have decided what it means to you, then go about your day and see what unfolds. May take a day, may take a week, just watch and notice. Connect with your deck every single day! And let your own intuition take over. Meditation helps too. Cleanse your deck at least once a month and learn reversals. If you want to learn to read for others. I have found the "Easy Tarot Guide by Marcia Masino...seems especially geared to that.

Good luck!

farmergiles

Lol now I can't decide on decks! People comment that the crappy looking ones (original R-W, etc) have more meaning to them and that the eye-candy gorgeous ones (Druidcraft or Gilded) are bland and empty! Perhaps I need that shop visit first!