Tarot novels?

WonderGuy

i thought i saw this somewhere but, can anyone recommend any fiction books or series that feature tarot cards or tarot card readers?
(i have many comics but no novels)
thanks,
cy

Ashtaroot

I know there is a thread her somewhere

of the top
The last Troubadour by Derek Armstrong

Sepulchre by Kate Moss

WonderGuy

perfect, thanks!

Greg Stanton

"Little, Big" by John Crowley. My favorite novel ever, and not just because of the tarot parts.

Lleminawc

There's also Piers Anthony's "Tarot" SF series. I'd personally recommend The Greater Trumps by Charles Williams, though it may be hard to get hold of. I wasn't hugely impressed by Kate Mosse's Sepulchre.

canid

Lleminawc said:
There's also Piers Anthony's "Tarot" SF series. I'd personally recommend The Greater Trumps by Charles Williams, though it may be hard to get hold of. I wasn't hugely impressed by Kate Mosse's Sepulchre.

You've got to be kidding me. I've edited 2 of Piers Anthony's novels. I want! Maybe he'll send to me...

Scion

Ashtaroot said:
ooh I like that link Scion anything you would personally reccommend?
Crowley's Little, Big is one of my go-to recommendations for people looking for meaty occult fiction. A beautiful beautiful piece of writing. I also recommend his "Aegypt" books.

Tim Powers' Last Call is sort of a smart subway book... quirky fantasy with real teeth. And who doesn't want a heavy Deck? })

William's The Greater Trumps is fantastic, though you have to be in the right mood. Williams was an Inkling (along with Tolkien and C.S. Lewis) to give you an idea of the period.

The Piers Anthony books are patchy but catchy. Tarot is almost more of a structure and a point of reference in what is essentially his dramatized meditations on faith and metaphysics. They're entertaining, but a little thin, and shamelessly, blindly Waite-Smith oriented in terms of Tarot. Anthony tends to treat the WS as if it fell from the sky. You can tell he's not a reader, but there are times where he structures entire scenes around a facile keyword-y sense of the cards. Total pulp. Read these for breezy entertainment value.

Promethea is GENIUS. Issue 12 is the most explicitly, ingeniously tarotical of all of them, but Alan Moore is a practicing Thelemic magickian and knows his Agrippa and Crowley. The series is essentially a Hermetic Magick 101 course taught as a 32 issue comic. there are quickie tours of the Suits and the Sephiroth and the Ptolemaic spheres at various points. The Goetia show up as characters! And if you think that the fact that there are 32 issues is an accident, think of the Tree of Life and you'll get a sense of how smart Moore is. :D

Lillie

I read Shadowmancer by GP Taylor recently.

It has tarot cards in it, but as a book with a virulent Christian subtext (and not very sub, it's like being slapped around the face with a wet bible) it is anti tarot and the cards end up on the fire.

Susanna Clarke's Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell also has Tarot cards in it.
That is a really good book.