Tarot novels?

Greg Stanton

I second Promethea -- though it's strictly tarot from a Qabbalah/Crowley persepective. If you are interested in this system, there's really no better explanation available, IMO.

BodhiSeed

David Skibbins has a series based on a tarot reader. They're enjoyable if you're looking for some light reading. He's asking his readers for input into his next novel I think:
http://www.davidskibbins.com/index.html

WonderGuy

going to buy "little, big" tomorrow. thanks Scion.
Cy

Lillie

Little, Big is a wonderful book.

WonderGuy

got Little, Big in the mail yesterday, hope to start it this weekend. looks very promising. :)

ILuvEire

Ghost Ocean isn't necessarily about tarot, but one of the characters uses tarot cards a lot throughout the book. They're not particularly accurate, but for a fantasy book I thought that he did a great job of using them as a plot device and to stimulate character growth, without straying *too* far from reality.

rachelcat

I really liked Last Call and Earthquake Weather by Tim Powers. (I didn't read Expiration Date.) Complex, interesting, unusual, mind-grabbing fantasy using real-world characters and locales. (Just what I like, or liked, back when I read fiction. Before tarot obsession took over.)

Now I've got my son researching Promethea for me. (He's not a comic book fan, but a fan of Watchmen and V.) I've never read a comic book/graphic novel in my life. But I might have to start with this!

canid

Scion said:
The Piers Anthony books are patchy but catchy. Tarot is almost more of a structure and a point of reference in what is essentially his dramatized meditations on faith and metaphysics. They're entertaining, but a little thin, and shamelessly, blindly Waite-Smith oriented in terms of Tarot. Anthony tends to treat the WS as if it fell from the sky. You can tell he's not a reader, but there are times where he structures entire scenes around a facile keyword-y sense of the cards. Total pulp. Read these for breezy entertainment value.

I'm reading Piers' book, 'Macroscope', right now; it has a lot of astrology info in it, but nothing tarot related. And since I know next to nothing about astrology, I really can't tell how accurate it is. I just emailed him to ask what the title(s) are for his books that include tarot; maybe he'll send them to me, since they're a bit hard to find. Plus, you never know, he asked for me as an editor for Relationships III but I bowed out since I was making about 7 *CENTS* an hour. He was appalled when he found that out - said I should have made about $6,000. Nope, it was $7. Maybe he'll have something else for me to edit, hopefully worth my time. I mean, it was great doing it, I love reading/writing/editing, & I especially love to shred someone else's work. His, however, required very minimal work, & was fun.

Majecot

I found a good number of "Tarot novels" at ereader.com. They seem to all be catorgized as erotica/romance. At first I thought they were following just the majors, but there seem to be several different authors- tarot themed in mass production.

Since I haven't read any I can't pass judgement other than to say, they did not appear to be books I would be interested in.

NorthernTigress

bodhran said:
David Skibbins has a series based on a tarot reader. They're enjoyable if you're looking for some light reading. He's asking his readers for input into his next novel I think:
http://www.davidskibbins.com/index.html

I saw I copy of "High Priestess" (his second book, I think) on a bargain table the other day, but I was in a hurry so I didn't pick it up. I'll probably never be able to find it again, even if I go back to the same store.