What do I think of Barbara Moore?

She looks happy.
Nice smile.

rif

Lillie said:
What do I think of Barbara Moore?

She looks happy.
Nice smile.

In her radio appearances she seemed very genuine, to truly love the tarot and knowledgable on the subject.

I also agree that she has a great smile. :D

Debra

It's true! This thread is in the normally sleepy Books and Media forum. I hadn't noticed.

I feel that it's legit to discuss a tarot author's work "in general" if they have a bunch of it and it tends to point in the same direction. For example, saying that Waite "in general" writes a certain way from a certain perspective. (For Waite, the phrase "turgid prose" comes to mind.)

Lillie

Legally we are allowed to slander the dead, so we can say what we like about Waite.

Demon Goddess

Well, I for one think Ms Moore was quite kind to expose herself here.

I'm an intuitive reader from day one and have never (to my knowledge) actually read any of Ms. Moore's books. (I'm sure I'll pay for that one day!). BUT, I can tell you that in the time that I have known her personally, (we are friends on Facebook), I have never seen anything untoward, sneaky or underhanded about her as a person, and I thoroughly enjoy reading her posts and indeed her tarot blogs. I can't imagine not finding her writing for the decks to be less than up to par.

(edited by Moderator) Look, authorship is subjective, you either like the author or you don't. If books by Ms Moore put you off, then it's your loss, she knows her stuff and she hangs in pretty danged knowledgeable circles.

(edited by Moderator)

Besides, even if one didn't like her writing style, Barbara Moore can't be all bad, she has exceptional taste in footwear. :D

with love

frelkins

I think the whole issue is simple. Sometimes for contractual reasons, deck authors and LWB writers have to use pseudonyms on other work that appears in the same year.

I know a lot of authors have a pseudonym for this reason - the publisher says "to ensure max sales and best publicity, you can only publish this one deck this year." Because they don't want a second deck by the same name overshadowing the first in the same year.

Also, in Europe, you might want a more European sounding name. On the deck she worked on in Italy, Barbara chose an Italian sounding name for her Italian audience as a convenience. Not everyone in Italy speaks English well, and her English name might be hard to pronounce for them. Again, this is just basic business.

As Ciro says, not all artists are word people, and not all word people are artists. Decks have often been collaborations, and that's great.

Not sure why contractual or language-ease constraints are an issue in deck publishing. There's so much more to Tarot than the English-speaking countries, or the English reading styles.

avalonian

This thread has now prompted me to download two Barbara Moore books to my Kindle (where they have a lot more chance of being read than a paper copy would). I've had a quick look and I have to say that I like her writing style.

:) :) :)

tarot heart

tarot heart said:
Hi all,

What does everyone think of the books written by Barbara Moore that comes with many tarot sets. I was kind of disappointed to find out that she has written the book for Tarot of Pagan Cats under a pseudonym.

What are your thoughts on this tarot author?

th

Ok everybody, I don't think anyone GOT my question here. I asked what everyone thought of her books, not her. I was disappointed to find out that she "scripted" the deck. At this point, I don't even know if the artist of Pagan Cats knows anything about tarot or she just created cards based on what Ms. Moore gave her in the script. I don't really care about the pseudonym aspect at all. I just mentioned it because it was a fact that people may not have known because her name is not mentioned on the deck.

(edited by Moderator)

rwcarter

Moderator Note

Posts from this thread were split off into a separate thread that can now be found in the Talking Tarot forum - Scripted Decks. The title of this thread has also been changed to better reflect the topic of discussion. Discussion in this thread should now be limited to Barbara Moore's works as an author.

avalonian

I have now read her book Tarot for Beginners and have to say that I loved it. It was easy to read and full of information. I loved the way she referred to the cards in three different decks (Waite, Legacy of the Divine and Shadowscapes) throughout. I found the writing style very friendly and approachable, it feels like she is talking to you.

It's almost a shame that it has "beginners" in the title as I think there is a lot in there that will be useful to anyone, beginner or experienced.

It is very rare for me to read a tarot book all the way through, particularly in one day. I read half of it on the bus to Glastonbury and the other half on the way back, I had trouble putting it down. I have already started reading "What Tarot Can Do For You" (thanks to Kindle) and am thoroughly enjoying that one as well, I know I will go back to both of these books in the future.

I have recommended "Tarot for Beginners" to friends who run a shop in Glastonbury as they are always looking for good books for beginners and I thought this one was an excellent one for them to stock.

I don't usually get around to reading companion books, but I suspect I will now be reading the books for the Shadowscapes and Legacy of the Divine.

I now have two favourite authors, Rachel Pollack and Barbara Moore.

:) :) :)