What are your Must Have Tarot Books

Greg Stanton

Paul Huson's Mystical Origins of the Tarot
Robert Place's Tarot: History Symbolism and Divination

Rachel Pollack's books never resonated with me, however, her new book, The New Tarot Handbook, is outstanding in every way. It's got just enough information to get you started without burdening you with a bunch of esoteric claptrap. It has stimulated my intuitive abilities more than any book I've read thus far. Tarot Wisdom makes a nice follow-up.

If you can afford it, A Wicked Pack of Cards and History of the Occult Tarot are outstanding. However, if you are a person whose faith and sensibilities are easily shaken, you won't be able to handle these as they are written from a scholarly historical perspective rather than from an occult viewpoint.

le_charior

For Tarot De Marseille:
Personality, Divination & the Tarot by Sargent

Thanks for this one, it looks very interesting! just ordered it, there are not so many decent TdM book around, so it was most welcome!

Apart from that I can second Robert Place and Paul Huson - and everything ever published by Brian Williams, especially the companion books for the Renaissance Tarot and the Minchiate. Extremely resourceful even if you don't have the decks when it comes to history and iconography of the TdM and historic decks.

And - this forum here is unparalleled actually. Not much need for books with all the treasures you can find in the TdM forum table of contents...

agent199

I concur with what has previously been said with regards to Rachel Pollack's new book "The New Tarot Handbook". For me, at least, it is what "The Pictorial Key to the Tarot" should have been.

momentarylight

Are you referring to Waite's 'Pictorial Key'? Truly getting the most out of this requires some knowledge and experience, I think.

Polllack's books are superb and more contemporary.

rwcarter

Moderator Note

A number of posts related with Waite and the Pictorial Key to the Tarot have been split from this thread and moved to a new thread over in the Rider-Waite-Smith forum titled Waite and The Pictorial Key to the Tarot.

Pyewacket75

jema;3379643 I am reading another Katz/Goodwin book right now too called 'Tarot face to face' but only gotten a few chapters in yet. So far I really like it though.[/QUOTE said:
I just bought that book and so far I'm liking it also :)

Freddie

'Tarot of the Magicians' - Oswald Wirth

'Tarot of the Bohemians' - Papus

Freddie

coyoteblack

78 degrees
21 ways

The Tarot: History, Symbolism, and Divination robert m place
The Complete Tarot Reader by Teresa Michelsen
Spiritual Tarot: Seventy-Eight Paths to Personal Development Echols, Mueller, thomson

The book that comes with the Druidcraft and The Fey

Pyewacket75

Has anyone read Tarot For Writers by Corinne Kenner? I ordered it online to help me get back into my writing. Just curious as to your thoughts on it.

Inconnu

I'm just getting back into it too.
The historic books are some of my favorite.

'Tarot of the Magicians' - Oswald Wirth

'Tarot of the Bohemians' - Papus
Freddie

I see Robert M. Place's "History, Symbolism..." & "The occult history of the Tarot" also mentioned, loved those too.

When I was first starting I learned a lot from Eden Gray's Complete guide. I haven't seen it mentioned here, maybe it's no longer much used.

I'm currently re-reading Stuart Kaplans Encyclopedia Vol I.