book/books by A E Waite

jmd

Another aspect to Waite and reference to colour symbolism that has not yet been mentioned is that Waite also became a member of the SRIA (from which the GD derives). In one of the lower grades of the SRIA is a lecture on the symbolism of colours.

Thus, though Freemasonry (which is not solely restricted to men, by the way, and Frieda Harris, amongst others also well known, such as Annie Besant, were Freemasons - and Freida Harris also painted tracing boards for her Lodge, in a similar style of projective geometry as also applied on her and Crowley's deck)... but to return to the main point, though Freemasonry makes little direct usage of colour symbolism, it is not excluded, but is generally principally used to differentiate types of Masonry (or 'grades', if you like). Blue (1st-3rd) is thus differentiated from Red (18th), Black (30th) and White (33rd).

For myself, however, Waite's musings on both Freemasonry and Tarot contain errors of judgement.

Vincent

jmd said:
Another aspect to Waite and reference to colour symbolism that has not yet been mentioned is that Waite also became a member of the SRIA (from which the GD derives). In one of the lower grades of the SRIA is a lecture on the symbolism of colours.

Thus, though Freemasonry (which is not solely restricted to men, by the way,
Yes it is solely restricted to men.

"Membership is open to any male of 21 years or over, who believes in a Supreme Being and who is of strong moral fibre"
jmd said:
and Frieda Harris, amongst others also well known, such as Annie Besant, were Freemasons
They were most certainly not Freemasons.

They were Co-Masons. A different thing altogether.
jmd said:
For myself, however, Waite's musings on both Freemasonry and Tarot contain errors of judgement.
If we are interested in equity, then perhaps we should mention that Waite's 'musings' also contain sound judgment as well, shouldn't we?

Vincent

jmd

I only just realised now that I had missed Vincent's reply above.

For the record, 'co-masonry' is but the popular title for one amongst various Freemasonic groups that allows both men and women to join. Some Freemasonic GLs are also restricted to women only. To quote from a passage used in a male-only constitution does nothing more than to show that they exclude women, not that women are excluded from Freemasonry.

Likewise, the age (21 years and over) varies from constitution to constitution, and is basically a reflection of adulthood. Even numerous masculine-only constitutions that have the 21 y.o. 'condition' may decide to have exceptions for a 'Lewis' (the son of a Mason).

As the the 'belief in a Supreme Being', that too is not universal, and variations in Freemasonry range from requirements to being a Christian (some GLs in nordic countries) to quite liberalist views.

Even in Waite's own times, of course, all these things were not only the case, but Waite himself makes mention of some of these in his Masonic works.