Shhh, don't tell anyone...

Fortuna

The rock where I live is mostly granite (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Granite) which is volcanic, very very old, and contains a large percentage of quartz, aka rock crystal in its pure form. I'll tell you something: there's nothing more soothing than laying down on a large, sun-warmed slab of natural rock by the sea this time of the year and listen to the wind in the grass and the seagulls crying – the Ice Age has made the rock so smooth and comfortable to lie on and still the surface feels rough and almost sandy, very safe and stable, but the energy is powerful, soothing, deep and full of life. I love it, just love it. I relax so quickly I almost fall asleep. :)

Then you can find larger bits of quartz and feldspar and sometimes small garnets. They are sometimes surrounded by granite, but sometimes you can find them lying loose on the beach when the rock around them has worn away.

Thanks!!!

Oddity

Then there's other rocks and minerals in other areas, of course, and sometimes if I find stones I like (and if it's allowed to pick rocks there - it isn't always), I take them home. Not locally-grown then, but still... um... free-range? :D Flint, lava, limestone and more.

I'm sure most of the harder stones could be tumbled and polished to great beauty, if one would like that.

Oddity

Fortuna, a very grounding thing I do sometimes (when I remember) is to go sit on a large steady rock, and by steady I mean immovable: either really big, or set so deep in the earth so that only a small part is above ground. Then I just sit there for a while and feel how large and old the rock is under me, and how all my tension slowly sinks into this big stone and down deeper into the ground and comes to rest. It's really nice. :) Maybe it works for you too?

Fortuna

Fortuna, a very grounding thing I do sometimes (when I remember) is to go sit on a large steady rock, and by steady I mean immovable: either really big, or set so deep in the earth so that only a small part is above ground. Then I just sit there for a while and feel how large and old the rock is under me, and how all my tension slowly sinks into this big stone and down deeper into the ground and comes to rest. It's really nice. :) Maybe it works for you too?

I will try to look for one. Someone told me hugging an old tree could help and the negative energy can drain down.

Thank you. I have a health issue and mobility is hard right now, and the impatience with healing and other things are making things hard emotionally for me.

Briar Rose

Question: how could a Yak's bone be on a mala? To think a mala is used for prayer and serenity only to know it has a murdered animal on it doesn't make sense to me. Imagine a room filled will Yak's lined up for slaughter, and then the one your wearing, shaking, seeing his friend get tortured a horrific death and knowing he's next! I wouldn't feel too good either wearing one.

On a brighter note, river rocks are very healing. Just imagine the stream of flow from the river, and the babbling brook where all the animals drink, and fish swim freely? Can only bring healing and a sense of tranquility.

In the movie, The Secret, they tell of the healng power of river rocks. I love them so much.
I would want everyone to know their healing powers.

Asbestos Mango- I love all your posts, ((HUG)) I really do, but you see, Animal's lives is what I try to save, and I would defend theirs with my life.

Asbestos Mango

Briar Rose, I get your point, I really do, but I think you have an American slaughterhouse idea of how animals are killed. It's horrific, and really, I think anyone who eats meat should at the very least eat free-range so the animals are treated humanely. I also think they should have the skulls of a cow, pig and chicken (three most commonly eaten animals in the US) in their dining room to remind them that they should be grateful to the animals that died to provide their food, but realistically, that's not going to happen.

I've actually seen video of animal sacrifices in Hindu temples, and believe me, it happens so fast the animal doesn't have time to feel fear or pain. Not pretty to look at, but it's actually done very humanely. And the animals are treated like gods before they're brought into the temple court to be sacrificed. I imagine the Sherpas who make the malas also slaughter the animals in a very humane way. Not everyone who follows an Eastern religion is a vegetarian, you know, but that doesn't mean they treat the animals cruelly.

Anyway, I became a vegetarian a few months back (quite a while after I got the mala, actually, but I have it now...) precisely because I don't want animals to have suffered for my benefit. I try as far as possible to buy organic dairy products and eggs, from animals that have not been pumped full of hormones and antibiotics and such.

But I do understand where you're coming from. I just see the bone mala as something that was made from part of an animal that was probably killed for food, its leather, and for the products made from its bones. Nothing is wasted and the animal that provided these things is respected.

ravenest

Yak bones in malas and other things are required nowadays by authorities both in countries of export and import as human bone is no longer available or allowed.

In a country like Nepal and Tibet existence is close to the edge ... every bit is used and everything they need is often carried in on back ( treckers often pass locals carrying roofing iron, concrete blocks , oil tins, etc.). So they don't waste anything. It would seem foolish to them NOT to use bones (animal or human) ... they have so little resources they don't waste wood to burn bodies (and cant bury them or if they can would not waste the land in such a way) and have 'air burials' instead.

I don't know if yaks are 'farmed for meat' that would be a very extravagant use of them, seeing as they are so valuable alive (beast of burden, transport, source of milk).

On the other issue ... 'non crystal' rocks ... every rock has an energy and usage ... it is a 'science' lost nowadays ... the Egyptians knew about it (read some Christian Jacq or R. A. Schwaller de Lubicz. One of my most energetic 'feelgood' rocks is a big lump of white / grey granite sitting on the window sill.

Asbestos Mango

In a country like Nepal and Tibet existence is close to the edge ... every bit is used and everything they need is often carried in on back ( treckers often pass locals carrying roofing iron, concrete blocks , oil tins, etc.). So they don't waste anything. It would seem foolish to them NOT to use bones (animal or human) ... they have so little resources they don't waste wood to burn bodies (and cant bury them or if they can would not waste the land in such a way) and have 'air burials' instead.

I saw a documentary on Tibetan burial practices, in which they showed the remains of someone who had just run down the curtain and joined the choir invisible was left out for the vultures- monks sat a short distance away chanting prayers until the vultures came. I though, "That's what I want done with my body when I die!"

This ol' carcass has spent so many years consuming resources, that I think it would be awesome if when I was done with it, it could be consumed as a resource in return. I recently told my mother that when I die, I want my body to be left in the woods to be eaten by scavengers. I really like the idea of it feeding other living creatures when I'm done with it. Alas, I don't think this is legal in the US, so I guess I'm going to have to settle for donating it to medical science.