new froud book

greenbeans

Finally!

My boyfriend ordered this for one of my Christmas gifts...so of course it only arrived yesterday!

He ordered the package off the official website and they also sent 2 postcards, a faerie music CD, a limited edition preview book, and a signed book plate.

The book itself is hardback, and to echo faunabay-It is bea-OO-tiful. It is also HUGE compared with his other books. My other half was complaining at how pricey it was compared to other Froud books- well, it was worth every penny, it is the DADDY of Froud books!

It completes the trilogy of his 3 major works. 'Faeries' introduced you to faery folklore, 'Good Faeries/Bad Faeries' showed you Faeries as real characters with a real presence, now 'World of Faerie' takes you on a journey...Froud's life journey, which has taken him ever deeper into Faerie.

Its a book is full of surprises and secrets- one double page sketch of a goblin pulling a face opens out to reveal a hidden photo of Froud's goblin-filled studio. There are 3 tiny books within the book- 'peter and wendy', 'Muse-the land of women' and 'green women and phyllomantic men'. There is also a cunningly hidden poetry poster by Neil Gaiman, featuring 'Instructions' for how to enter Faerie. I prefer the book without the dust cover, as the hardback cover is a mysterious geometric pattern of hearts, unicorns and wings (and a teeny mermaid), reflecting the books's secret title 'the book of mysteries and love'.

Froud's work is described not as fantasty but as portraiture, and since it spans his whole career you can see developments not only in his style but in his understanding of Fae, the different types of Fae who have 'sat' for him and revealed their secrets over the years.

There are many Fae I had not yet met who immediately drew me in- the image faunabay describes (p41) of a Fae knight carrying 2 Green Children, has deep significance for me. I was also enchanted by the Fae with frog's legs and wings 'made of cloth cut from the moon'(p150), The Queen of Shadows (p124), who is powerful and dangerous, and also one of the calm, wise Green Women (p116) who I keep returning to.

Even those fae I had already met in the Faeries Oracle were encountered anew on these huge, beautiful pages. Himself, the Dark Lady and the Sage are resplendent! The book culminates with big, glowing images of the Singers- 'the true heart of Faerie'. There is some text from Wendy Froud and Ari Berk, but mostly it is from Brian itself, explaining medieval tapestries, purposeful geometry and the strong relationship between women and faerie.

I think this book is an absolute must for any fans of the Faeries Oracle. It will enhance your interpretation of the Fae you already know and introduce you to new ones. It will lead you through all districts of Faery including Wonderland, Neverland and the Land of Women. What are you waiting for?

nicki

sounds just fab, I love Brian Froud and have a few of his books, have looked at this book, but abit out of my price range at the mo, but definately on my wish list.

nicki

pickled pixie

I recently bought this book and I agree greenbeans it really is beautiful and I think his best by far, as I read through the book I really felt I was being drawn deeper and deeper in to the world of faery!!
AMAZING :D

pp xxx