Suicide and Cards

SunChariot

alonewiththesea said:
What cards would represent someone who is feeling suicidal, what are the major ones you would think to see in that persons spread

9 of swords + Tower to me would be someone self destructing by fear almost indicating this

your take on what cards you would think of?
Death, I once got the Death card and that is exactly what I saw in it. Fortunately it did not result in an actual death. But that was the meaning I saw in that card in the reading.

Babs

gillian

My first thought is the hanged man for suicide, but it would strongly depend on the surrounding cards. I would think the situation that the person is in would strongly influence what cards were drawn though, it would be different cards for different cases in my mind.

Ascot

Suicides are often the result of an impulsive, unpredictable, irrational energy that, given circumstances that are negative enough, can push an unstable person past the precipice.

Being directionless and afraid, and then highly energized by a card like The Magician and/or the 8 of Wands, a person could be suddenly gripped by the desire to act on suicidal impulses.

Curtis Penfold

Ascot said:
Suicides are often the result of an impulsive, unpredictable, irrational energy that, given circumstances that are negative enough, can push an unstable person past the precipice.

Being directionless and afraid, and then highly energized by a card like The Magician and/or the 8 of Wands, a person could be suddenly gripped by the desire to act on suicidal impulses.

What do you mean "Energized by the card"? I'm in this group more to understand the Jungian archetypes and themes of the Tarot, and I feel like I don't understand the Magik of it, something I feel like I should.

So what does that term mean? Energized by the card?

Ascot

Curtis Penfold said:
What do you mean "Energized by the card"? I'm in this group more to understand the Jungian archetypes and themes of the Tarot, and I feel like I don't understand the Magik of it, something I feel like I should.

So what does that term mean? Energized by the card?

Sorry; I will try to explain what I mean.

When a card appears in a spread, it's "energy" or "influence" is present and will thus affect the querent's experience of the time. Some cards can be thought of as having similar affects to each other, such as if a card suggests a high-energy, exciting situation - or, instead, there are cards that share the general suggestion of lower energy available.

For instance, the Knight of Swords is a high energy card. So is the Magician. Likewise is the 8 of Wands. If all of these appeared in a spread, The word "Now!" might even resound in my mind just from seeing them.

sometimes a card is not necessarily high energy or low energy, but can be in the presence of other cards. Other cards bring out or can highlight certain aspects of the cards surrounding it. They all affect each other. A spread is like an overview of a system and its interdependent components, and each component conveys something that is "working". So call it energy or call it whatever you want, basically

For example, in a 4-card spread I pull: the 4 of Cups, The High Priestess, The Wheel of Fortune and The Magician. The 4 and the HP can normally be considered more "low" than "high", right? But the Wheel and the Magician are normally more "high" than "low". As a reader, I would see the Wheel and the active Magician and consider them to be "at work" here. I could see this as an indication that there is a lot of energy to be tapped if it is actively sought. There are factors here indicating that there is a possibility for significant change.

Anyway, anyone please feel free to add or to modify anything of what I said. I'm by no means a professional reader, of course, but hopefully I wasn't confusing!

...Energy is not necessarily "magic", but to that end, I don't understand much if anything at all, as I don't come from those areas of expertise. Energy is continually transformed and transferred between people and throughout our world and it manifests as all manner of things though; that I do know. But someone else may have other thoughts on that? Although we may be getting off topic now, actually!

Curtis Penfold

Sorry. I don't mean to get off topic. It's just, this is something I don't completely understand, and I feel like it can help me with this subject if I understood.

You're saying that there's energies that are there (if a person is considering committing suicide for example...to get back on topic), and that these energies can come out in the cards?

Ascot

Curtis Penfold said:
Sorry. I don't mean to get off topic. It's just, this is something I don't completely understand, and I feel like it can help me with this subject if I understood.

You're saying that there's energies that are there (if a person is considering committing suicide for example...to get back on topic), and that these energies can come out in the cards?

Yes, that sounds like you understand what I'm saying... and not to say that you are off-topic, actually I thought I started rambling, so I should be saying sorry :)

I consider the subconscious self to be aware and to keep track of what influences are present as a result of choices made in the past, by you and by others. So with cards, it gives you the information most pertinent to your end. You can inquire about someone's likelihood of deciding yes to suicide and expect to see what kind of energy is currently "around" the person, and that then it is up to you to interpret the message (and you can see that a message of suicide can take different forms). There is probably more to it than that, which can be more eloquently put too, I bet, but I'm afraid I'm still too much a student to go much farther than that before I start speculating/personally theorizing.

Anyway, this isn't perfectly understood by me either, but in lieu of not having enough knowledge to fill a science text on the intricacies and quantitative values of Tarot, I use these terms. Hope that helps... I'm learning too!

Curtis Penfold

Well thank you for explaining it to me. Like I said, I'm more interested in the symbols of Tarot, and I totally have ignored the way people view the cards when reading. Possibly we should try to make another thread...

tarotlyn

:heart: I am always on the alert even when I just see the 9 of swords...
as it tells me to find out why the person feels so hopeless...

This may be the "starting" or "first warning" for me...and I am then able
to explain to the querent that their bleak looking situation is not as bad
as they may "think" and "worry" that it is. This cards shows me that
there is some kind of "mental crisis" going on with them, that could
be very serious, but is a situation that they probably have blown way
out of proportion. When you explain that their situation is probably
not as bad as they think it is, it kind of releases something for them.

And the ones that I have read for like this have ended up on a road to
healing. I always make sure I stay in contact with them AND I always
do readings (by myself) to keep a check on their progress. I DO trust
that what tarot cards tell me IS the truth and IS always the truth.

The 9 of swords "always" alerts me to check right away for any
other cards along this line (which have already been mentioned in
other posts in this thread). l then check out the querent well for any
other signs I see "psychically" about them and go from there.

We do have to remember that we are not their (the querent's) savior...
only a messenger, a helper, and a director of their getting the
necessary mental help from medical professions that they might
need. I know for a fact, that this has saved many lives that might
have otherwise been lost.

The main message that I have been given and is my main calling to
pass on to everyone I can on this side is:

"Please do not commit suicide as it is very sad for those loved ones
you leave behind here after you pass, and very very difficult when
you first cross over to the Other Side" and you cannot come into the
Light" because you will be too sad and feel too ashamed to do so.
And then it will be very hard to gain entrance into the Light."

I could say more, but I will leave that to another time, another thread.":heart: