Deviant Moon - Six of Cups

teomat

This card harkens back to simpler times. Before the problems of adulthood took over our lives. When we found the boxes our expensive presents came packaged in more interesting than the toy itself.

It's a card of lost innocence. The card shows a 'Punch & Judy' type booth, with a red devil and white companion. Life isn't black-and-white or good-and-bad, but for a child it is. The card could suggest a simplification of an issue. Seeing a problem as black-and-white.

It evokes memories of fun days, circuses and carnivals. Of playing with friends, make-believe and wonderment. Childhood is not all happy and carefree, and when we're young we often wish we were older. And then when we're old, we wish to be young again.

It's a card of regrets. Of things you wish you had done, or done differently, but now it's too late.

mac22

One of my favorite cards....

Mac22

Herzog

Love this card.

The puppet show expresses an unreality. The dangers of dwelling too long in the past as there is no reality to it. It is pure fantasy.

Myrrha

The children are so happy, laughing and pointing at the puppets with glee. One girl is smiling so hard her face hurts. Remember what it was like to smile like that? To laugh and play with no thought of who might be watching or something more "productive" you should be doing?

The puppet show is not some idealized RWS vision of childhood. It looks like a devil, complete with horns and pitchfork, and a sort of clown or pierrot are trading insults. You just know that in a few minutes that clown is going to get the pitchfork in a tender spot. This is the kind of children's entertainment that mixes aggression, violence and humor and doesn't deny the darker side of reality.

The central moon that decorates the puppet theatre is the "Deviant Moon" the one that sometimes shows up in the cards that are about being controlled by or in touch with the deeper more mysterious parts of ourselves. It is flanked by two balanced crescent moons which to me indicate forces in balance.

So the card shows childhood and the past but not an idealized, nostalgic vision of the past. It could be asking you to look at the past and see it for what it was, or it could be asking you to try and regain that honesty and directness of childhood. If you can you will be able to laugh like mad and smile until your face hurts.

Cat*

For me, this card is all about believing in something.

There's that Harry Potter quote that goes something like this: "Of course it's all in your head, Harry. But that doesn't make it any less real." This is what the Deviant Moon Six of Cups brings up for me.

Do you suspend your disbelief and live the story with all of your heart and mind? Or do you take a step back and point out to everyone that it's all an illusion they're stupid to believe in? What do you win and lose in either case?