Samhain Deck of the Bastard - 2nd

FLizarraga

Metallic inks rub off more easily than dye-based. While dye will soak into the surface, metallic and pigment based ink adhere to the top of the surface. But if the card edges are more plastic than paper, it might mean that nothing will adhere well.

Would a little sanding prep them better?

FLizarraga

The Tim Holz distress ink pads are definitely the best way to go, IMHO, [especially for Seven's decks.]

Which colors would you recommend, oh Moonificent One?

MoonGypsy

Which colors would you recommend, oh Moonificent One?

Oh, i just saw this...:D For the Samhain 2nd i am planning on using Vintage photo and then dab on a bit of Black soot here and there...and on the corner edges...

My very favorites that i keep stocked in my "distress ink pad arsenal: are:

Antique Linen
Tea Dye
Vintage Photo
Black Soot

All are by Tim Holz...:) i also find handy the "Ranger Inkssentials Ink Blending Tool-with 2 Blending Foams".. You can also purchase a separate package of the foams. i use one foam with each color.

FLizarraga

Oh, i just saw this...:D For the Samhain 2nd i am planning on using Vintage photo and then dab on a bit of Black soot here and there...and on the corner edges...

My very favorites that i keep stocked in my "distress ink pad arsenal: are:

Antique Linen
Tea Dye
Vintage Photo
Black Soot

All are by Tim Holz...:) i also find handy the "Ranger Inkssentials Ink Blending Tool-with 2 Blending Foams".. You can also purchase a separate package of the foams. i use one foam with each color.

Thanks, Goddess! Thinking of the SDOB, I bought some Tim Holtz inkpads on eBay, your recommended colors and another called Walnut Stain that looks promising. I will try everything on other stuff before ruining "my precious," though.

Linfang

Walnut stain is great as well, though I would recommend to use it on a few cards only, otherwise the edge gets too dark.

BTW, has anyone outside US already received the deck?

agviz

Would a little sanding prep them better?

Perhaps, but I applied dye ink to the edges of the original DotB and it seems to be adhering very well.

I have a bunch of the Tim Holtz ink pads as well as several other brands of acid-free art markers. Both work equally well and it just depends on what you like working with best. Here's an example of edges tinted with a Faber-Castell Indian Ink pen (raw umber 180 with a big brush tip). After giving a "base coat", I went back and stippled the edges to add distress.

Attachments

• DotB1.jpg
    DotB1.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 136

FLizarraga

Walnut stain is great as well, though I would recommend to use it on a few cards only, otherwise the edge gets too dark.

Thanks for the tip!

FLizarraga

Perhaps, but I applied dye ink to the edges of the original DotB and it seems to be adhering very well.

I have a bunch of the Tim Holtz ink pads as well as several other brands of acid-free art markers. Both work equally well and it just depends on what you like working with best. Here's an example of edges tinted with a Faber-Castell Indian Ink pen (raw umber 180 with a big brush tip). After giving a "base coat", I went back and stippled the edges to add distress.

Oooooh, man, that is NICE! Did you do the final distressing holding the deck as a whole, or card by card? The lower left edge looks as if you did it to the whole thing.

Annabelle

My Sahmain DOB 2nd ed. arrived in the mail just now! It is charming, mysterious, dark, and lovely. I'm not sure yet which I like better -- the 1st or the 2nd edition.