Llewellyn's Classic Tarot

Lee

My apologies if there's another thread on this -- I sought but did not find. I'd be surprised, in fact, if there's no previous discussion on this deck. It was created by Barbara Moore and illustrated by Eugene Smith.

Aeclectic entry: Llewellyn's Classic Tarot

Amazon link

And a good video review by Angelo Nasios.

Apparently the deck has just recently become available.

It's a fairly close RWS clone very much in the fashion of the Sharman-Caselli and Morgan-Greer decks. In fact, I can spot influences from both those decks.

In looking at the scans, I was initially put off a bit by the art -- I would have preferred something a little more polished. And yet, taken as a whole, the images have a certain personality to them.

It looks like a good deck for when you just want a fun, relaxing, RWS-like experience but without the RWS stiffness -- perhaps good for storytelling, creative exercises, or simply practicing linking cards together, but clearly not for serious Golden-Dawn-related study. It lacks the precision and draftsmanship of the Sharman-Caselli but seems better-informed (i.e. perhaps better communication between the creator and the artist) than that deck.

I ordered it.

rwcarter

I like the images. I hate the backs. (shudder) I know what they were going for (Roses and Lilies ;) ), but I'd have to rate that as one of my least favorite card backs. And I'm usually not bothered one way or the other about card backs.

donnalee

I'm not a fan of the images, but can see that they might be tailored for the younger hipper crowd. I haven't seen the backs yet, but now am curious and will go hunt them up--

EDIT: OH, that. Huh. Lilies and roses you betcha, but more in the style of a bad tablecloth of days gone by--

Lee

Yeah, that back gave me some shuddering tablecloth moments as well. :)

Le Fanu

I've seen this around - the Fools Dog app has been available for some time.

I just ask myself WHY? Really. I mean why? Why on earth does the world need this? All that effort. All that paper. For something which is basically pseudo-everything-that-has-copied-the-RWS-since-whenever

ravynangel

I've seen this around - the Fools Dog app has been available for some time.

I just ask myself WHY? Really. I mean why? Why on earth does the world need this? All that effort. All that paper. For something which is basically pseudo-everything-that-has-copied-the-RWS-since-whenever

deleted :)

Miss Divine

I saw Angelo's review last week and didn't like it at all. There are only a few images I like, and the rest I strongly dislike. I also agree with what Le Fanu said. There are so many RWS based beginners decks out there already... and in my opinion alot more attractive than this one.

gregory

I like it - except for the backs. And I'm betting the book by Barbara will be worth the money on its own.

Ordered - thanks Lee !

Lee

I just ask myself WHY? Really. I mean why?
Well, for one thing, it would be nice to see a different deck used to illustrate Llewellyn's books besides the Universal.