I just discovered Malpertuis!

The Happy Squirrel

As for his Lenormand decks (I hope it is OK to talk about this here) I love the look of the Malpertuis the best as it is embellished beautifully without crowding the clarity of the basic symbols. Sputnik looks lovely too, it has the corresponding playing cards as background instead of inserted I thought that was quite good so someone like me is forced or helped to take them into consideration (I usually ignore them). Which means more learning curve and that is always a good thing. Love the look of the Chelsea Lenormand too. But I am not too sure about the rest as I feel they are getting a bit too creative with the depiction of each symbols and they are beginning to crowd the clarity of each. I found myself having to wonder what I am looking at and that is never a good thing for Lenormand I think....

RiverRunsDeep

Oooooooh that looks like it is going to be a nice one!!

How does the Tyldwick read in your opinion? I can normally estimate their reading performance just by looking at the design but I can't quite make this one out. Love the design though. From what I can see of people discussing this deck it sounds like it reads well too :)

IMHO, it reads well, but it is not an "easy" read. If I wanted a quick answer
from the cards, this is not the deck I would choose. Tyldwick won't blast you
with obvious symbolism; rather, it is atmospheric and has a faded, haunted
quality that I find appealing. If I'm feeling meditative and want to spend time
poring over a reading, this is the deck I prefer. It may take a little time to
discover the messages, but I think it is worth every minute. A lovely and
mysterious deck!

The Happy Squirrel

IMHO, it reads well, but it is not an "easy" read. If I wanted a quick answer

from the cards, this is not the deck I would choose. Tyldwick won't blast you

with obvious symbolism; rather, it is atmospheric and has a faded, haunted

quality that I find appealing. If I'm feeling meditative and want to spend time

poring over a reading, this is the deck I prefer. It may take a little time to

discover the messages, but I think it is worth every minute. A lovely and

mysterious deck!

Sounds excellent! :)

jolie_amethyst

Tyldwick is an interesting deck. It's mostly devoid of people...that appeals to some readers and turns off others. I have no issues with it, but it's not a deck I would ever use to read for other people. Very introspective. And very haunted.

There's quite a bit of discussion on it in the Tarot Decks section. Some of the best comments on it are actually in the Pros & Cons threads. One person compared it to dealing with a rescued cat, the kind you just end up accepting you may never be able to pet, because of whatever torments it had been through before you found it. It's one of those decks that people seem to either love or find absolutely unreadable. As such, copies of it often change hands a few times in the Trading forum before finally reaching their proper home.

As to the cardstock difference, that info I found in the Lenormand section. I think it was in the thread on the Malpertuis Lenormand, which later expanded to include the Chelsea. I don't personally have those, so I can't attest to the difference myself.

The Happy Squirrel

My Tyldwick tarot arrived and I am loving it.
Great card stock and gold gilding.
Everything is just so. I love it.

The Malpertuis Lenormand is slightly more glossy and the gold gilding is more matted. Will take this chat to the Lenormand thread :)

RiverRunsDeep

My Tyldwick tarot arrived and I am loving it.
Great card stock and gold gilding.
Everything is just so. I love it. :)

Hooray, love at first sight! :) Let us know how you get on with it
for readings.

illyria

I have both the Tyldwick and the Malpertuis, and they read wonderfully for me. I have to admit that I don't even notice the cardstock on these two. They're just so evocative, and handling them is a joy.

The Happy Squirrel

Hooray, love at first sight! :) Let us know how you get on with it

for readings.

I suddenly realise that I am not much of an intuitive reader. I asked in a thread somewhere whether tarot often interfere with our intuition rather than assist it. Looks like I am one of those 'either or' with my intuition. They are full on effective when not mediated. And a little bit 'stage frightened' when having to be applied to intermediary mechanisms like tarot. ANYWAAAAAY. In moments when some pictures on the Tyldwick strike me with enough of a bang, it was, well, amazing. It goes straight from the card to some high level abstraction of a certain state of being. I just need to stop trying to see what the card titles are and flipped through my mind towards the RWS images each time to try to derive the meaning....

The Happy Squirrel

I have both the Tyldwick and the Malpertuis, and they read wonderfully for me. I have to admit that I don't even notice the cardstock on these two. They're just so evocative, and handling them is a joy.

Oh they are both just lovely though! :) I agree :)