*ahem* anyone else have this deck...?

Padma

I am curious, because I don't see it often - but it is my go-to deck, and my all time fave - I have had 2 copies already (worn out a few doing readings ;p My clients love it, because it is so colourful and friendly...I love it too, for the art, but also because the Devil has been translated into Materialism, and Death into Transformation (much better title, that!)

The deck is the Connolly Tarot, and the images were rendered by Connolly's (at the time) 17 year old son, Peter Paul Connolly. I love the rich imagery on this deck - and how they all look like stained glass - and I love, too, how PPC has rendered certain images - for instance, the 9 of Cups is Jesus at the last supper ;) lovely!

I am not religious but I do love the symbolism. Anyone else use this deck? Just wondering...

Padma

so alone...

apparently, I am the only person on this site who has a Connolly deck ;p sooooo alone...misfit me! lol! What else is new! ;p

herself

I have this deck - it was the first deck I owned. Bought it in a wee new agey store back when I was in high school (early 90s). I got it because the store also had the companion Handbook for the Apprentice, and it seemed friendly :) I like it because it reminds me of those early days, though I really don't read with it anymore. (I've trimmed it too; think there is a link to pics on the trimmed decks thread.)

I suspect a lot of people don't like it much because it comes from that period that brought us such gems as Robin Wood, and also some see the renaming of Death and the Devil as a bit of a cop-out. I don't really have a problem with it; loads of other decks take liberties with titles. And the christian slant works pretty well in this deck, I think. The dude on the nine of cups in particular, looks like a very happy Jesus :D

It's colourful, non-threatening (the vogue for decks seems to be the darker, the better, these days; I have my share of them), reads well, and is good for beginners and more advanced readers alike. I guess it just feels a bit dated for me, and not particularly exciting. That said, I might take another look at them tomorrow - just for old time's sake :)

gregory

LOADS of people have it - you are not alone. I have to say it isn't one I read with a whole lot. I'm not sure why not. I do HATE the devil revamped as Materialism, though.

I think maybe because the imagery is so VERY Christian. I find that uncomfortable. I know that tarot is full of Christian imagery, and I don't usually mind it at all - but surely not THAT full....

I can't see why there are extra angels even on pip cards, and all around the Sun. It feels sort of repetitive. I quite like the Hermit handing on the torch - but - that isn't very HERMIT then, is it ?

And I really dislike the 10 Swords. It is positively cheerful. (Yes I know, I don't use generic meanings anyway - why should I care ? ;) But it grates anyway.) And why does the Star show a man ? No bloodshed. No violence. OK - fair enough - but I do feel it goes too far the other way. As a review I read ages ago said - it would be good for children...

You asked !!!

Le Fanu

And I really dislike the 10 Swords. It is positively cheerful. (Yes I know, I don't use generic meanings anyway - why should I care ? ;) But it grates anyway.) And why does the Star show a man ? No bloodshed. No violence. OK - fair enough - but I do feel it goes too far the other way. As a review I read ages ago said - it would be good for children...

You asked !!!
I'm with gregory. Good for children, yes. Also good for transvestites I always think. Lots of pink and huge wigs. It ticks all my pet hates for a deck; overly cheerful, limiting Devil, no Death, just transformation into something pink and smiley with wings (I suspect).

But I have it and love it for its campness. Wouldn't trade it (I also have the OOP mini for transvestites with small hands).

Like gregory said, you asked! :D

AJ

doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, it only matters what you think about the deck you choose to use, at any time.

The Connolly is popular with newer readers who read for the public because it isn't 'scary'.
I didn't keep it very long, too much personal agenda for me. I like their Feng Shui deck though, even if it does cram something that doesn't particularly fit into the tarot box.

gregory

That's very true, AJ - but since the OP got to the "will no-one answer" stage, I decided I'd post... I absolutely agree to each his own; I know I use a few decks no-one else likes. :D

Morwenna

That's very true, AJ - but since the OP got to the "will no-one answer" stage, I decided I'd post... I absolutely agree to each his own; I know I use a few decks no-one else likes. :D

Like what? (Inquiring minds and all that... :))

Padma

Hahahaha!

Thanks for the answers, everyone! They were great - I had a very good laugh, at the answers, the comments, the observations on the deck. And at my own expense ;)

I agree about too many cupid-y angels everywhere, and I am not overly fond of the uber-Christian thing going on...but I do love some of the pictures...

I guess I just got used to using it, and then all my clients seemed to warm to it so much, and so it just became a go-to deck. I do have others, I just can't seem to warm up to them - I think I should get out there and invest some time looking at new decks. I do like the Aquatic deck, and I think the Llewellyn deck is interesting...sorta...

I am not a child, by any stretch, nor a beginner - been reading for years - but! I am a really soft-hearted, idealistic "good news and sunshine" kinda person (numerically I am a Nine, if that helps explain things), and I really don't like "dark" cards, they make me feel terrible! So I guess that's why I hang on to this deck. :)

Could someone please explain what "trim the deck" means? I am not sure I get it...

gregory

Specifically and notably, the Savage. There is a whole thread here about that, called, IIRC, "What a horrible deck."

Well, it does good work for me :)