'Recycled' art in Dame Darcy deck

treelet

Dame Darcy's art has always had that obvious "traced" quality which lends to her naive and zine-like appeal but lmao, this is just SHAMELESS.

rwcarter

Moderator Note

(That being said, I sort of want the LoS deck now. It's pretty! Anyone wanna trade?)
All trades need to be conducted through the Tarot Trading forum, which is only open to Subscribers. If a trade is conducted through PM and something goes wrong, there will be no recourse through Aeclectic.

GlitterNova

All trades need to be conducted through the Tarot Trading forum, which is only open to Subscribers. If a trade is conducted through PM and something goes wrong, there will be no recourse through Aeclectic.

I actually just renewed my subscription because of this. I said that last bit half-sarcastically, but if someone is seriously interested in trading one mermaid deck for another, let me know and I'll set up a thread.

aquestionmark

Ha... Looks like Dame Darcy is quite the pirate!!! I do like her art style, maybe someday she'll make her own concept into a deck.. : / not sure what to think at the moment.

Tarotwolf

oh! I should have dug a little deeper to find the decks. Getting inspiration from another deck is fine, all artists do that; but lifting entire images isn't cool.

agviz

Well that's a disappointment. And it doesn't seem like it would have been that much more work to make a few changes here and there so the work wouldn't betray itself as traced.

Nemia

Wow, that's horrible. That's really saving herself the trouble. One to one copy. I'm completely off the Dame Darcy this very second. How disgusting.

I like her art style, it's much better than the original mermaid tarot IMO - but just copying the cards - that's simply "not done".

I think LoS have a case, if they're aware of it.

Citrin

Oh... :(

Hmm I think some of the images look VERY similar, like The Empress, and it’s quite obvious in that one seeing The Empress isn’t often depicted like that in a deck following the RWS style. :-/ Others are more subtle in their similarity…

I don’t know much about Dame Darcy or her art, but I do know I love her tarot deck, and this doesn’t change my feelings about it. Though of course it is disappointing seeing an artist copying instead of using their own creativity.

One thing that disappointed me with the DD deck was that she refers to a guidebook from her website that can be printed, and I did, and it annoyed me so much seeing she had just taken RWS meanings straight up with no connection to her deck! I think she says about one card “we see this person traveling” (something like that, I am paraphrasing) and then you look at the card and there is nothing like that pictured! So now I’m wondering where she got this “guidebook” from because it obviously does not describe her own deck. :-/

Le Fanu

It's quite an obvious link - but surely this was clear from the outset? Is it any more copied in poses than RWS clones which copy the poses of the RWS and don't speak to U.S Games first? OK, here they both have tails, but is it really theft? Both decks have been around for a while so it's obvious there was a connection in theme, but I don't see it as all out copying, unless I'm looking at the wrong scans.

I have long said that the DD deck was filled with copies. I didn't even mention the Mermaids Tarot because that seemed a bit too obvious - but check out the courts and Pierre e Gilles photographs - there are quite a few similarities.

Le Fanu

Queen of Swords?

Attachments

• zuleika.QueenofSWords.jpg
    zuleika.QueenofSWords.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 588