Do you have these Decks?

Rosanne

Does anybody have the Tarocchi di Guiletta e Romeo by Luigi Scapini - The Deluxe Version? I believe they may be very large and possibly expensive. Any imput would be appreciated.
I am also interested if anyone reads with the Tarot of Durer- the coloured version by Giacinto Gaudenzi. I would like to know if in your opinion it reads well.

~Rosanne

Eco74

I have the Tarot of Dürer, and it does read well in my opinion.
It does require a certain amount of humour from the reader though since the artwork can be rather explicit on some of the cards. Not for the prude-ish readers or querents..
There is a lot of physical humour in the deck, and being familiar with the "folk-sayings" helps. The images and the symbolism can be very blunt in their approach.

Fulgour

"Shakespeare" Tarots sets include:

Tarocchi di Giulietta e Romeo: Luigi Scapini
Shakesperian: Dolores Ashcroft-Nowicki & Paul Hardy.
Shakespeare Oracle: A. Bronwyn Llewellyn & Cynthia Von Buhler.

Scapini is a jokester and his work is frivolous and without merit.
Dolores and Paul tip their hands by misspelling Shakespearean.
Llewellyn and Buhler should be scolded, and made to apologise.

I get in trouble when I knock the so-called Durer deck,
so I'll just say I don't have it and enjoy that fact muchly.

Rosanne

Ah Ha- I see

Thanks, I really appreciate the honesty. It is very hard to come to any decision from scans- and serious imput is valued. ~Rosanne

Fulgour

Visiting Durer always takes time for me, sorting out
his different creative projects done at various times.
He is personal and professional, original and quaint.

Genius shines through all his surviving works and it's
always a treat for me to rediscover him at the library.

I have a little motor running in my head that would be
a Shakespearean Tarot based on very precise quotes.
It would be tedious and obscure and make no sense.

Rosanne

Hehehe Fulgour- Twisted tales from Shakespeare "Begone dammed pip" ~Rosanne

Eco74

Fulgour said:
I have a little motor running in my head that would be
a Shakespearean Tarot based on very precise quotes.
It would be tedious and obscure and make no sense.
That would requier a rather extensive LWB - detailing what play, what scene and who the line was spoken by if spoken.
References to the plays themselves though should probably be enough, though I suppose it could be combined with that huge book that is the collected works of William Shakespeare.

I saw it once, that "complete works".. I could have afforded it too.
But carrying it just seemed too hard of a job and I had to get on a plane in the next few days. Paying for the extra weight and not being able to fit all my clothes in the bag due to the size of the book did not seem very appealing. ;)

Fulgour

Wm. Shakespeare

If we use 36 for the "Complete" number of plays,
and there are several probably co-authored ones,
then we can divide them into three even groups.

12 are Masterpieces
12 are Workable
12 are Quite Horrid

The thing is, with Shakespeare, he's great even
when he stinks, and he does oft stinketh greatly.

Eco74

I do sadly agree. Though I've found brilliance hiding midst stink enough times to not loose hope entierly. ;)

None canst persistently be brilliant,
all shalt stink from time to time,
though Shakespeare ist more oft resilient,
for atleast he stinketh in rhyme.
*teehee*

I have a pretty neat book based very very loosly on the works of Shakespeare. It's called "Say it like Shakespeare" and uses passages from different plays to illustrate how one can become a better speaker, and how to take consideration to ones audience, and how to plan ones speeches etc.
The passages are quite well chosen, though I don't always agree with the interpretation of them, that ofcourse is meant to lead to a chapter written in a very different style than the bards own words.

Also, I find it quite amusing to think sometimes of the somewhat hapless bum he was in life. :D
This is true of many men of the arts of oldern times. They lived freely, with little to no common sense and versed well while wiling away the days wasting what little money they had managed to scrape together after paying off their debts.

Cerulean

Hello Rosanne and Fulgour and all...

I was interested in this thread and also Fulgour's opinion.

The jokester comments might be the best pithy summary of Scapini.

Perhaps if you want an artistic tribute, an illustrated tribute book with Edmund Dulac's...or other favored artist's pictures or engravings and your favorite interpreter. They may do best to illuminate the themes for you....and the tarot walk might come from the tarotist in you, what graces your understanding of the Bard.

When I look at various Dantesque (Divine Comedy and New Life) books, I realize that even tarot tributes are just inspirations with a loose theme re-interpreted by other writer/artists. They hint, allude, softly step...but rarely does any dig deeper than superficial references. Even good translations that I like only came alive after classes that gave gleanings to the deeper riches.

I think Dante Algheri and Boccacio's Decameron works helped me understand some of Shakespeare a little better, little by little. I'm not certain, but I believe for me, the Decameron influenced Chaucer and from there, a few Shakespearen themes.

Best regards,

Cerulean