Tarot Decks that "feel" more like oracles

fractalgranny

For me, a tarot becomes more of an oracle when it...

* Drastically differs in illustration (and therefor meaning) from a standard deck(like the RWS)

* Has renamed the suits or Majors in a way that makes them unrecognizable

* Has keywords or phrases written on the cards that can be read separately from the tarot archetype

So, tarot decks that became more like oracles for me include the Osho Zen, the Rock N Roll, Transformation and in some respects the Connoly.

interesting ... are you saying that ALL or ONE or SOME of these conditions have to be met?

reading this, i look at my beloved crow's magick deck, and one could say that it meets two of the conditions. but it FEELS like a tarot deck. hm. you're really making me think here.

when you refer to the "tarot archetype" are you referring to RW and/or marseille?

Chronata

Moritherapy...each deck is it's own thing...and it just has to have one of those conditions to feel more like an oracle to me...

BUT being an oracle is certainly not a bad thing! (as you can see in my profile, I have more of them than tarot decks!) It just reads differently than a tarot. I can't always attribute the same meaning from one deck to the next, if the card is radically different looking from what I know.

To me, there is a certain archetype to tarot Majors(and I refer to both the Marseilles and the RWS, and to some extent the Thoth...though even that deck can feel more like an oracle at times) that has to be there for me to read it as a tarot.

So to rephrase things...SOME of those conditions have to be met for it to feel like an Oracle...but even if they are, doesn't mean that they do (I cite Lunatic and Universal Fantasy...which both have some images that are radically different from what I know...and yet still feel like a tarot to me)