Tarot decks that read like oracles

Sulis

Crowqueen said:
Perhaps that's why I have thus far shied away from pure pip cards, as I read visually rather than memorising meanings,

Hi Crowqueen,

I do read 'pip' cards but there is no memorising of meanings.

If you take a look at the Marseilles section of the forum and at the Marseilles daily draws thread, I think you'll find that most of the people here who read with decks that have 'non-pictoral minors' don't memorize meanings either.
I've read with pictoral and non-pictoral pips and I have to say that I find that my readings are more 'intuitive' and far less restricted with the minors that have no pictures on them.

Crowqueen

Sulis said:
Hi Crowqueen,

I do read 'pip' cards but there is no memorising of meanings.

If you take a look at the Marseilles section of the forum and at the Marseilles daily draws thread, I think you'll find that most of the people here who read with decks that have 'non-pictoral minors' don't memorize meanings either.
I've read with pictoral and non-pictoral pips and I have to say that I find that my readings are more 'intuitive' and far less restricted with the minors that have no pictures on them.

Ah right. Maybe when I get my Thoth I can begin to experiment a bit more and move beyond the pictures. One British clairvoyant wrote how she saw the cards move and "speak" to her - maybe she was clairaudient as well - but she only went into detail about the Major Arcana in her (relatively short) book which wasn't dedicated to tarot, so I thought she used the Minor Arcana as clarifiers or that she had learnt their meanings or so on.

I will browse the threads you suggest and have a look for myself. Thanks for the pointers.

SunChariot

I pretty well read all my decks like Oracles. Always have and I love doing things that way.

Babs

HudsonGray

Tarot of the Animal Lords, the only way I COULD read it was as an oracle.

bleuivy

I've had my eyes on the Tarot of Transformation for months and months. Now, I'm getting as a gift from Baroli!

Those images just looked so packed with information. I have no intention of reading this as anything other than an oracle.

I cannot wait!

HearthCricket

I think other possibilities, depending on taste, would also be:

Archeon
Haindl
Fantastic Menagerie
Fairytale
Prague
Celtic Wisdom
Inner Child
Master Tarot
Gendron
Celestial
Templar

They all have a rather contemplative quality to them, in which one card speaks volumes.

sunflowr

Voyager Tarot. I can't read it as a tarot. It's too different.

For instance, 6 of cups is "sorrow". And 2 of cups is no longer a love card, but the 3 is. Little things like that would bug me trying to use it as a tarot, so I ignore it and use it like an oracle.

baba-prague

We designed the Fairytale so that it can be read either way. You can go from the classic RWS meanings - or the RWS meanings that you prefer - and simply add the appropriate tale as a slant on this. But I use this deck more and more in the opposite way, I tend to read directly from the fairy story, then use the RWS interpretation to slant this in one direction or another, or to add shades of meaning.

It would be entirely possible to ignore the RWS meaning altogether and read this as a deck of fairy stories. So essentially, I think these cards can be used as an oracle - and quite a powerful one at that.