Do you use special rituals, etc before starting a reading?

lovestories

I calm myself, clear my mind, and shuffle the cards, all the while trying to narrow my focus to what I am going to be asking.

drfrog93

I don't generally do any special preperations/rituals before reading the cards. I break them open, ask client to shuffle, and I lay out the cards.

Maybe the only thing which could be called a ritual for myself is a general natter whilst the shuffling is going on. Creates a nice friendly atmosphere.

Scorpio Kitten

I handle the cards for a bit to connect with the deck. Then I take three deep breaths, do a short chakra-activating visualization, and ground and center. If I'm feeling fancy I'll light a couple of candles which I've consecrated specifically for tarot readings, and light some incense.

nisaba

A friend of mine uses hand-cream every time she does a reading. It soothes her and enables her to shuffle better, she says.

I'm not sure I like that - "I feel the residual oils on the surface of her skin are going to affect the cards in the longer term. I'm nobody's kind of archivist, but I don't court disaster by mixing cards and grease, even highly expensive and fashionable grease.

Genna

I use to bless the cards by making the sign of the cross over the front and back of the deck in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Ghost. Than I think of the question and shuffels until the cards fall open "on their own" and they are usually very accurate I must say.

SphinYote

nisaba said:
A friend of mine uses hand-cream every time she does a reading. It soothes her and enables her to shuffle better, she says.

I'm not sure I like that - "I feel the residual oils on the surface of her skin are going to affect the cards in the longer term. I'm nobody's kind of archivist, but I don't court disaster by mixing cards and grease, even highly expensive and fashionable grease.

I'll sometimes put spices in the bag or even a bit of the few oils I can tolerate for my use-decks, but never for my collection-decks.

I like the look of worn paper, and even smudged, smeared, a little dirty. But I've been bitten by the value-bug, and like to keep most of my decks as pristine as possible.

asa jones

protection

I have always said a little prayer, making sure my mind is set on doing the reading for the right reasons, not glorification of the self.

queenxofxwands

Not unless you'd call shuffling a ritual, thats about all i do, but i'm not into rituals of any kind, they don't focus me they make me feel weird lol. Although sometimes if the cards feel heavy, and by that i mean, actually i dont know what i mean, i just know sometimes they do, so when that happens i will knock on the pack, like a door, or bang them on the table a few times. Ok, feeling weird now......:D

zephyr_heart

I don't use any kind of rituals, just calming and emptying my mind, and then I shuffle the cards.

Redstar

Across the board, I'm not ritualistic, so I keep it just to trying to clear my mind and shuffle until it feels right to me.