New to Kabbalah -

Boooster

Hi,

I recently became very interested in Kabbalah and after reading many websites online I went and purchased Franz Bardon's Initiation into Hermetics, and the Kybalion. Although I am Jewish, I read about both the hermetic and traditional kabbalah and decided to investigate Bardon's first book because of the high recommendations.

I must admit, I am struggling a bit with the 10 step program and understanding the theory, and would like to supplement my studies with some other sources. I've been looking over this forum and plan on picking up The Essential Kabbalah by Brian Lancaster, and The Essential Kabbalah by Daniel Matt - I'd like a few good books to give me a practical background and was hoping for a few more recommendations from some more knowledgeable people. I am equally interested in exploring both Hermetic and Jewish Kabbalah to gain a better understanding of both systems to see which speaks to me more.

Thanks for reading!

cougina machek

An Opine

Hey now. My first suggestion to you would be that Kabbalah/Cabala/Quabala is a method of processing input from the five senses in order that one may achieve extra senses. No matter the philosopher, it still boils down to the creation of your individual concept. Certainly as a landsman, you have at least developed a small awareness of the Sephir Yetsirah. I myself am a Romney gypsy, but lifelong Hermetic (will avoid the past). My concept would be that Kabbalah is the most serious and esoteric attempt by an individual to connect ten intelligences (the spheres) using 22 pathways or concepts (the major Arcana), moving the concepts around in any way necessary, so that one may achieve the supposed unknowable, Ain Soph.
Cougina

Zephyros

hellooooo, another one! -waves-

There are many sites and books that teach the basic principles of Kabbalah; right now I'm reading Laitman's "Kabbalah for Beginners", and it's hard to wrap my head around, but relatively lucid and simple. I'd stay away from from some of the more "missionary" Kabbalah stuff that Israel seems to be filled with, there's enough information online without going there.

Are you looking to learn it for its own sake, or as part of Tarot?

ETA: just noticed this is a really old thread, probably not relevent anymore