Piatnik, Chosson, or Madenié??

feynrir

Hi everyone!

I am a TdM lover who does not yet have any "historical reproduction" type deck (with the messy colors, vintage look...all that gloriousness :love:). I really love the heavy bold designs in the Conver and Burdel style as opposed to say, Jean Noblet or a more ornate historical deck like the Visconti-Sforza.

With that being said, I have some spending money left and am looking at either a Piatnik TdM, a Chosson, or a Madenié.

Non-slick cardstock is important to me with a reproduction-type deck. I like the "vintage" feel, and authentic pointy corners would be a plus (but aren't necessary)!

Does anyone have a recommendation of one of these over the others? A rec based on personal preference and/or my desired specifications would be just excellent. Thanks guys!!

Postscript: Moderation knows that a similar thread exists and thought this one was fine to stay up on its own :) Thank you!

Yves Le Marseillais

Historical decks historical ways

Oh no! Why in the world did I not see the recent thread so similar to this one, comparing the Madenié and the Chosson?? So sorry! Mods, please delete this thread. Thank you.

[Hi everyone!

I am a TdM lover who does not yet have any "historical reproduction" type deck (with the messy colors, vintage look...all that gloriousness :love:). I really love the heavy bold designs in the Conver and Burdel style as opposed to say, Jean Noblet or a more ornate historical deck like the Visconti-Sforza.

With that being said, I have some spending money left and am looking at either a Piatnik TdM, a Chosson, or a Madenié.

Non-slick cardstock is important to me with a reproduction-type deck. I like the "vintage" feel, and authentic pointy corners would be a plus (but aren't necessary)!

Does anyone have a recommendation of one of these over the others? A rec based on personal preference and/or my desired specifications would be just excellent. Thanks guys!!]

Bonjour Feynrir,

Two three informations for you:

Chosson is nearly sold out.
Madenié is going to be be sold out within end of this Summer I suppose
If you like old historical TdM decks I will publish two more by end of May coming:
Claude Burdel 1751
François HERI 1718
Both in same conditions as Chosson and Madenié

Those who bought Chosson and Madenié will speaks better than me who produced them I think.

All my historical decks will never be laminated and never corners rounded (unless original was kike that).
All will be in sturdy cartoon box telescopic.

Have anice Week End

Yves

feynrir

Bonjour Feynrir,

Two three informations for you:

Chosson is nearly sold out.
Madenié is going to be be sold out within end of this Summer I suppose
If you like old historical TdM decks I will publish two more by end of May coming:
Claude Burdel 1751
François HERI 1718
Both in same conditions as Chosson and Madenié

Those who bought Chosson and Madenié will speaks better than me who produced them I think.

All my historical decks will never be laminated and never corners rounded (unless original was kike that).
All will be in sturdy cartoon box telescopic.

Have anice Week End

Yves

Thank you Yves! The decks are so beautiful! I've wanted the Chosson for the longest time and think I will end up going with it. I can't get enough of its beautiful colors and fine linework.

I really, really look forward to your other historical reproductions as well.

Hi Feynrir,

Piatnik has a really nice cardstock. It's still my favourite.

You can look it up here.
http://a.trionfi.eu/WWPCM/decks/d00211/d00211.htm

Thanks jean! I was actually curious as to the difference in cardstock/production of the Piatnik compared to the other two. I think it has rounded corners...could be all the better for regular usage I suppose :) I would love squared corners but I think I'd be too scared to read with cards with square corners.

Yves Le Marseillais

Rounding square corners

Thank you Yves! The decks are so beautiful! I've wanted the Chosson for the longest time and think I will end up going with it. I can't get enough of its beautiful colors and fine linework.

I really, really look forward to your other historical reproductions as well.

Thanks jean! I was actually curious as to the difference in cardstock/production of the Piatnik compared to the other two. I think it has rounded corners...could be all the better for regular usage I suppose :) I would love squared corners but I think I'd be too scared to read with cards with square corners.

Thanks Feynrir !

You can round any deck if you follow guideliness that are advised somewhere on ATF. Madenié and Chosson will pardon you no problems ;))

Piatnik is rounded I think so.

Using a square corner deck is just a question of manipulation and time: Take your time and handle slowly cards: They will understand you way.

Best

Yves

kalliope

I have the Chosson and the Rhenan, which I understand to be essentially identical to the Piatnik, just retitled, and maybe the colors are a little different between the prints. The Rhenan is published by Piatnik, and supposedly has the same cardstock according to old threads I saw when researching the decks. (Someone had a copy of each.)

The cardstock on both is excellent. The Rhenan's feels slightly more plastic-y, and therefore a little more durable. The Chosson feels like cardboard/paper stock with a nice smooth finish. The decks are very nearly the same height when stacked, but the Chosson feels thicker, I think due to the straighter cuts of the stock. For instance, when I had the cards laid out, I could easily slide the Rhenan back together into a pile, so the plastic must make them more tapered on the edges. The Chosson cards more often caught each others' edges, and it made me want to be more careful and not force them to slide so I wouldn't damage them. The Rhenan cardstock is just barely more flexible than the Chosson.

This is all nitpicky detail just for comparison's sake, since you asked!

I love them both, and they are so different it would be difficult to chose just one. In fact, I will be getting the Madenié soon also, so I'm absolutely no help in the decision department. ;)

I have a great 3mm corner rounder, and I'm very tempted to chop the Chosson. I like the look of them, but the deck doesn't feel as comfortable in my hand with the sharp corners. I also think the sharpness contributes to my feeling that I must be careful with the deck, which then makes me want to use it less. But I haven't decided what to do yet.

ETA: My two favorite details of the decks: the angular chin of the Reine D'espee in the Rhenan, and the facial expression of the woman on the right in L'Amoureux in the Chosson. :grin:

Here are some pictures!

Attachments

• Rhenan Chosson 1d.jpg
    Rhenan Chosson 1d.jpg
    297.4 KB · Views: 333
  • Rhenan Chosson 2d.jpg
    Rhenan Chosson 2d.jpg
    298.6 KB · Views: 320
  • Rhenan Chosson 3b.jpg
    Rhenan Chosson 3b.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 304
  • Rhenan Chosson 4b.jpg
    Rhenan Chosson 4b.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 354

kalliope

Forgot a couple of points: if you're going for more authentic, old-card-feeling stock, then the decks by Yves will definitely be more to your taste than the Piatnik cardstock, even though it's wonderful in itself. The corners are rounded on the latter like you say, but they are shallow cuts, as you can see from my photos.

And finally, if you're willing to consider an unconventional, slightly redrawn, faux-facsimile deck (a redrawing of the Jean-Pierre Payen), you may want to look at the Tarot des Centuries, also known as the Tarot de Nostradamus. It has very good smooth cardboard type stock, sharp corners, and bold, quirky line drawings.

Astraea

I love the Rhenan, which - as Kalliope says - is the same deck as the Piatnik. The colors in my Piatnik look a little warmer than the Rhenan, but that's the only visual difference between them and it might not apply to all of the printings.

Regarding the use of square-cornered cards, what I do is shuffle and spread another deck (any deck), and then do the identical layout with my square-cornered cards. That way, the facsimiles are not damaged in any way can be reordered easily after readings.

I have the Chosson and the Madenie, and they're both wonderful. If I had to choose, probably the Madenie would come out on top - but honestly, they're both stunning and the quality of Yves' work is second to none.

kalliope

I love the Rhenan, which - as Kalliope says - is the same deck as the Piatnik. The colors in my Piatnik look a little warmer than the Rhenan, but that's the only visual difference between them and it might not apply to all of the printings.

Regarding the use of square-cornered cards, what I do is shuffle and spread another deck (any deck), and then do the identical layout with my square-cornered cards. That way, the facsimiles are not damaged in any way can be reordered easily after readings.

Ah-ha, it was your posts I remember from those threads, Astraea! Your comments on the colors made me decide to look for the Rhenan, and were helpful in general, thanks!

That's an interesting method of picking cards with another deck to protect the square ones. I may have to try it out. :)

Astraea

The Rhenan/Piatnik is a great deck, isn't it, kalliope? It has my favorite Hermit of all time.