1st time reading in bookstore ~ bad vibes (long)

HighPriestesss

starrystarrynight said:
From your post, it sounds to me that he is the business-minded person of the couple, and she more the creative mind.

He may have been uneasy that "terms" were not ironed out before you actually came in to set up shop. He maybe was uncomfortable about your reading skills (especially if you hadn't read for him prior. Did you read for his partner as a trial before the day you were scheduled to come in for the day?) If he didn't know your skill level, he likely wondered if you would be an asset or a liability to the shop--as any good businessperson would.

So, there were uncomfortable vibes all around. The "Today Only" on the sign would have cut it for me...

Those would likely have been all the negative vibes I would have needed to throw me off my game and send me packing.

But, all experiences are valuable in some way, so you have learned something from this one, too. Next time, it will go better...

No, the day I approached them about reading in their store, they didn't ask for a reading, just took my word. I had approached him first, and he directed me to his wife. She's pretty shrewd, but gave the okay.

Why does "Can't judge a book by its cover" pop into mind? LOL

re-pete-a

1st rule of tarot reading( if there were any) , DONT OVERTHINK impressions

HighPriestesss

It's official

Today I emailed the bookstore and told them due to unforeseen circumstances, I could no longer read tarot cards at their store. I thanked them for any effort on their part (yeah, riight) and apologized for any further plans as well.

They immediately responded that it wasn't a problem and if my circumstances changed, to let them know.

I feel relieved, so I know it was the right decision.

Grizabella

Having read even the first several pages of the book (a really good book, btw), I felt soooooo UNqualified as a reader, and sooooo uncomfortable at the thought of reading someone. I felt scattered. Uncentered. Ungrounded.

As soon as I read this part of your post, I understood just where you derailed. I never read Tarot books unless it's at a time when I'm not in "reading mode". I think this is really where things went off track for you. True, the atmosphere and the vibes weren't that good at the store, but I think you'd have still fared better if you hadn't read someone else's work just at a time when you were getting into the "zone" for readings. I think it shook your confidence in yourself and that's what basically went so wrong for you, bottom line. I think it was probably Divine intervention that you didn't have any customers because if you had and you had just frozen up, you might have traumatized yourself into never being able to read again for a very long time.

I only read Tarot books when I'm in "study" mode in leisure time. I may skim over a book now and again if I'm going through a bookstore or going through my books here at home, but I don't do it anywhere near when I'm going to be actually doing any readings. And when I use the term "study", it's just for lack of a better word because Tarot shouldn't be approached in a school-ish manner. It's just not like that. Cramming in facts like you're in school and studying to pass exams is horrible for Tarot. Simply reading and then letting all that info you've gently fed into the subconscious lie in wait for when and where the Divine pulls it back out for you in a reading is the way to approach it. You read it, you put the book away and you don't worry about it anymore.

But don't do it when you're in a reading venue. :) :heart:

memries

Some times in life Highpriestess we just come across horrible people. Odd, out of sync and we wish we were somewhere else. It does not happen much but it does happen on occasion.

You went with high hopes and confidence. You returned being a bit upset and doubting. Those people sound selfish, overbearing, unfriendly and have no consideration for others. They were greedy as well not honoring the voucher they had given. That was the final tip off that it was them not you who was not honorable. You tried to do the right thing, purchasing something.

You knew something was wrong before you walked in the door and it went from bad to worse. Your antennae is working just great. Hang in there. Is it any wonder they had no customers ?

You learned in a short time, how not to run a business. They will be shut down within the year.

franniee

OH HP I am sorry!

I will repeat the advice I was given :D You must ground yourself. Especially being a pisces. You can carry salt with you or dirt... salt is easier. You can bring crystals. You definitely need to meditate.

I am very susceptible to vibes... terribly so! I work on visualizations.... I bring salt and I have crystals at my table. I also try and block it out....and let it go. You have to do this for the sitter. That could be why you didn't have a lot of people come by.... you had to get your vibe welcoming.... I know you were but if you were fighting the vibes you had in the store yours may have mirrored theirs...subconsciously - if you get what I mean?

My impression from your cards is that this was the wife's idea and the husband was NOT having it! IT is against his beliefs. He felt uncomfortable with it in his shop but she pushed it on him.... (my thoughts).

Ground Ground ground

ETA your insecurities came up from the vibes.... we all get jitters... but remember it isn't about you it is about the person sitting in front of you. That usually helps me with my jitters.... Also the more you do this the less they bother you. REALLY :heart:

HighPriestesss

Grizabella said:
As soon as I read this part of your post, I understood just where you derailed. I never read Tarot books unless it's at a time when I'm not in "reading mode". I think this is really where things went off track for you. True, the atmosphere and the vibes weren't that good at the store, but I think you'd have still fared better if you hadn't read someone else's work just at a time when you were getting into the "zone" for readings. I think it shook your confidence in yourself and that's what basically went so wrong for you, bottom line. I think it was probably Divine intervention that you didn't have any customers because if you had and you had just frozen up, you might have traumatized yourself into never being able to read again for a very long time.

I only read Tarot books when I'm in "study" mode in leisure time. I may skim over a book now and again if I'm going through a bookstore or going through my books here at home, but I don't do it anywhere near when I'm going to be actually doing any readings. And when I use the term "study", it's just for lack of a better word because Tarot shouldn't be approached in a school-ish manner. It's just not like that. Cramming in facts like you're in school and studying to pass exams is horrible for Tarot. Simply reading and then letting all that info you've gently fed into the subconscious lie in wait for when and where the Divine pulls it back out for you in a reading is the way to approach it. You read it, you put the book away and you don't worry about it anymore.

But don't do it when you're in a reading venue. :) :heart:

OMG! You nailed it! That is exActly what transpired!

Oh the lessons we learn, eh? Thank you for that insight. I feel like I should send you a dozen roses!! ;)

HighPriestesss

memries said:
They will be shut down within the year.

Curious....a prediction?

HighPriestesss

franniee said:
I will repeat the advice I was given :D You must ground yourself. Especially being a pisces. You can carry salt with you or dirt... salt is easier. You can bring crystals. You definitely need to meditate.

Ground Ground ground

When I first got settled in after setting up, I sat with the deck in my hands, eyes closed, and quieted my mind. I envisioned white light coming down over me, and had both feet planted firmly on the floor. I probably only spent a few minutes doing this, but it was my way of grounding and getting ready. When I get a sitter, I do this again, but ask the spirit guides to help in giving an accurate reading, and then I open my eyes and ask the sitter to state their full name.

I've never heard of bringing salt or dirt with me. How much? And what do I bring it in? Is this part of my grounding?

On my table, I had/have clear & purple quartz crystals, a Lapis Lazuli, a small clear bowl of water and white candle. The owner would not allow the incense as it would've penetrated the books.

As for meditation...hmmm. I know I need to work on that area. It seems I never take the time to do this. Always kids running around, etc. Only chance I ever get to quiet my mind is when I lay down to go to sleep!

shaveling

I'm glad you're out of that situation. That would have been a creepy workplace if you'd stayed with it, and the bad vibes probably would have gotten worse. That said, I think there are a couple of things you should probably do differently with the next venue:

You need to get the financial arrangements settled ahead of time. The store owners should have known to do this. That they waited until the last minute is a bad sign. Though it does fit in with their forgetting to put "Not to be combined with other special offers" on their discount coupons.

You probably shouldn't read a Tarot book on the job. Not just for the reasons Grizabella mentioned, which do make sense. But because it could undermine a potential client's confidence. If the plumber working on my house were reading a how-to book on plumbing during his lunch break, I'd find it unsettling. It does make sense for Tarot readers to read Tarot books, and plumbers to read plumbing books. And yet -- do you know that awful feeling when you order a perfectly ordinary cocktail, a martini or a manhattan, and the bartender reaches for a recipe book? You don't want your potential customers to have that feeling.

It's probably good to bring a book for the in between times. But keep in mind that the customers will note what you're reading. A novel or magazine says, "I'm a regular person who knows how to read the cards." A big book on spellcasting or astrology, with illustrations of charts and mystical glyphs says, "I'm the somewhat scary magic lady with secret powers." Knitting or crocheting or embroidery can probably work, too, especially if the next place has a cat. Cats and string go together, somehow.

Congratulations on getting out of an unsatisfactory situation in the most satisfactory way possible. And good luck with whatever comes next.