2 Kinds of Gilded Tarot Cards

jrr01

I don't know if this is topic has been resolved or posted, but it does say, "Talking Tarot" So here goes. I went to my local book store at the mall and saw this new Gilded Tarot bookset, it was some orange box, well I was wondering if the card stock on the book set are as lame and weak as the card stock on the original box without the book set. If anyone has both or either one of them, please explain before I make a purchase for the book set.

Thanks in advance.

Prudence-Merenwen

I've bought this set two weeks ago.
The book is wonderful, well write. I don't know if the deck is the same as sold alone, same quality or not...
But I'm very happy with both. I recommend you the set, not expensive and very pleasant.

Grizabella

The original set has a wonderful book and wonderful card stock. I've used mine a LOT in the years I've had it and it holds up really well.

I've never heard of the Gilded in an orange-y box. The outer box is black with a colorful picture on the front. If you saw one in an orange box, I certainly wouldn't trust that it was the same high quality of the original.

rwcarter

Grizabella said:
I've never heard of the Gilded in an orange-y box. The outer box is black with a colorful picture on the front. If you saw one in an orange box, I certainly wouldn't trust that it was the same high quality of the original.
That's the Easy Tarot set also put out by Llewellyn with a companion book by Josephine somebody or other instead of the companion by Barbara Moore with the Gilded.

Rodney

Grizabella

Oh I see. I'll have to look that one up. I've never seen it.

Le Fanu

I seem to remember a recent thread about these two editions and someone was asking advice on the differences and it transpired that the one with the Barbara Moore book was the better buy...

Queen of Pentacle

I got both -opinion and comparaison.

Gilded is sure my favorite deck, so wanting a spare, I bought the "easy Tarot".

It is the very same deck, boxing is different.
Ehat I like is that, inside the package, this is an individual box (orangy background) for the deck, which I find very handy (this is a regular printed box like most decks alone have, not the bland oversize Leewellyn inside box)

Barbara Moore (Black Box - Gilded tarot)

For the book, I really prefer Barbara Moore "Gilded tarot". Barbara Mooe is a very well known tarot writer, she was Leevellyn "Tarot newpaper wew page" host for years, and she is good. Her bool is simple, well done, informative, suggest a lot of thinsg (often from the imagery of the gilded deck. littles animals and so), and is very "open". It was cute and refreshing. It is explacitive and yet vey open, and leaves place for personnal insight, which I really appreciated. She open doors, she shows the way, but you feel free to go and fello your own inspiration.

Josephine Ellershaw (orange box - Easy tarot)

On the other hand, Josephine Ellershaw book, is quite different. One could say it have more informations, and sure it is "ticker". But is is more a general Rider-Waite book, than a specific guidebook for the actual Gilded. It tell you rigid card meanings, give you a method you have to follow, very strict, promise that you'll become a good tarot reader if (and only if) you fellow hers rules (tarot journalling and so).

In fact, it is a generic "Rider Waite" tarot book, plain and bland, and there a million of them. Maybe Llewellyn tought the only way to seel it was to give it with it's best seller Gidlded tarot.

As you guess, I found this book quite "drab" and "closed-minded".

Maybe I have read too many tarot books, but I dislike autors "knowing the truth" and imposing their values and ways of doing things, and this is exactly what I feeled with this one. Very "infantilizing" to my taste.

Hope my opinion won't offend anyome... But maybe it will help you choosing.

NorthernTigress

I still see the Orange Box in the retail bookstores' New Age aisle. Sometimes on the same shelf as the "actual" Gilded.

I think that bookstores just think that the word "Easy" sells.

cardlady22

The packaging definitely appeals to different types of people. In my local bookstore, they had the black box version down with the darker/harder occult phenomena; the "happy orange Easy kit" was among the myriads of faeries, angels, etc based decks.

Since I am new to tarot, I appreciated the Ellershaw book's general intro. But, I do know that I don't have to follow what ANY author tells me.