14 and under readings ?

SerpentaAzothi

Hi, in the past when I was doing readings I tried several times to do a reading for people under 14, it did not work. It wasnt just 1 person, but a lot. So my question would be if anyone noticed this before in your experiences. Is there a reason for it or what? Thanks...

Serpenta

blackstormhawk

You have to be careful with readings for children, and make sure that you have permission of their parents to do so.

Sometimes a more kid-friendly deck (like one of the Fairy Tale decks) can help.

coeur

The problem with reading for children might be because they live in significantly different circumstances than we do. You might not be able to consider what it's like to live as a 10-year-old as a 26-year-old. I know as a 19-year-old, I have issues reading for people who have jobs and careers because I am just some college kid who has my way paid out for me.

Children also have extremely mutable futures because they don't have a very broad foundation of what they have already done. The future is based on the past, but, if not many significantly past events have occurred, then the future is still very much up in the air.

Apollonia

I haven't read for all that many children, but when I do I don't have them pose a question; I just do a reading on "What are your talents, and what good things are around you?" This has worked well, and the querent and his or her guardian have been pleased with the reading.

Zephyros

I find it difficult to read for children, as I do when I read for people who are significantly older than I. In order to read for some one, it helps if you can empathize with their issues or the state that their lives are in. Children cannot yet form clear ideas about their lives or analyze them, and they are akin somewhat to reading for some one who does not want a reading and blocks you out. Chances are that they will never understand your message fully, or they will misunderstand it.

On the other hand, I have been into Tarot since I was thirteen, but in retrospect, I wasn't very good at it at the time...:)

SerpentaAzothi

Hi, thanks for the insights, I agree with you, I stopped reading for children in the past, cause it never was accurate. SO I decided hey, there are others to read for. Anyway thanks.

Serpenta

Elven

Hi SerpentaAzothi :)

apollonia said:
I haven't read for all that many children, but when I do I don't have them pose a question; I just do a reading on "What are your talents, and what good things are around you?" This has worked well, and the querent and his or her guardian have been pleased with the reading.

I agree this is a good approach - and another if its worth a mention, I always have a fairy deck with me (usually an Oracle deck though) - for some reason - theres always been a call for it from both the young and old :D

Blessings
Elven x

Knight of Wands

I don't like reading for children. Quite ironic considering my age, but I just don't like it.

However, I don't find it difficult to read for those in different circumstances. For example, I have no problem with reading for people much older than me, and although I don't work, I wouldn't have a problem doing a career reading.

Sophie

Nope - I love reading for children. We turn the reading into a story, or we read together. I get them to go through the image with me, and the symbolism. It's an experience for both of us - an opening to divination. I read for a little girl of 6 yesterday - just 3 cards. We both enjoyed it. It became a chat about friends and fairness and playing and the approaching holidays. Only - it's important to tune into their way of thinking and their preoccupations. What constitutes aloneness or heartbreak for a 6 year-old? Stories are a good way in, too.

I really believe divination is like any other human topic - it can also be for children. Only - not in the same way as for adults.

Crowqueen

Most spiritual commentators agree that children are naturally psychic/intuitive beings, and only lose their natural connections because of adult disapproval.

However I've read that many people reading for children take the nasty cards like the Devil, Death, and the Ten of Swords out of the deck. I personally would do the same. Or I'd use something like the Goddess Tarot, which is good at turning negatives into positives - not something I like as rule for adults, but they are better at handling the more intense imagery in some decks.